Author Topic: Bottling Mangoes  (Read 11632 times)

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
Bottling Mangoes
« on: January 05, 2010, 01:15:11 am »
Hi Everyone, Well it is mango season here again and I am looking for a recipe for a sugar syrup that is tried and tested that I could use in the vacola system. Last year I tried it with a couple of different types [light  & medium] and all I ended up with was a heap of bottles sitting in the cupboard boiling. I don`t know what I did wrong but the longer they sat the more they boiled till I had to ditch them all. I made the syrup, them put the sliced mango in the bottles and poured the syrup over the top, sealed them and them put them into the vacola for ten minutes and let them cool for 24hours without moving them and them put them into a dark cupboard. Even the few that didn`t boil tasted terrible. So I am looking for a bit of help and anyone that has any mango recipes that they would like to share that would be nice too. Thanks Sandy.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Re: Bottling Mangoes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:27:14 am »
Hi Sandy,  This is an easy one and requires no recipe.  Soften some vanilla icecream and make "ripples"of mango puree through the icecream.  Set and enjoy!!!!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:33:04 am »
Sandy, would it be easier to freeze the mango cheeks rather than bottling them?  I wish I had lots of mangoes. I learned to love them when we lived in Broome and now have to pay horrid prices for them. I paid $5 for a R2E2 the other day, it was lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 06:42:55 am »
Cookie I bought a tray of mangoes about 2 weeks ago, there were 15 for $14!.  I let them sit for a few days until lovely and ripe, then I peeled and cut into cheeks with a mango splitter (works wonderfully well).  Laid them out on a tray and froze overnight then the next morning I put them in a big snap lock bag.  Should keep me going for a little while.  :D
Lots of uses I know, but I particularly love making a mango & avocado salsa which goes particularly well with crumbed prawns.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:09:20 am »
Wonder if it's worth phoning the company or writing to them ?

Fowlers Vacola Australia

23-25 Racecourse Rd, Melbourne, VIC 3051

p: (03) 93297799  f: (03) 93299899

I'll look at home to see what I have there.  Unfortunately they don't have a website  :( :(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:42:01 am »
I'm not sure if this will help,  but when I bottle fruit in the microwave,  I don't use any sugar.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:56:01 am »
How about a mango smoothie Sandy. This recipe makes 1 glass and comes from Women's Weekly Simplylite Food.

The flesh from 1 ripe mango.
150ml light evaporated milk, chilled
1 scoop low-fat ice-cream
1 tbsn icing sugar
Ice cubes

Place all ingredients into the TM bowl and blend until thick and creamy.

1.8g fat  & 1519 kj

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 01:34:06 am »
Our local grocer has mangoes a tray for $20.  They are only the small ones, but a mango is a mango. Last year they were $12 a tray but he said they are a bit short this season. They freeze beautifully. In Kununurra they freeze them and you can get the most beautiful mango smoothies all year. Fresh mango blitzed with soft serve icecream and milk.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 02:05:28 am »
I can't help with bottling or canning mangoes because I have only canned mango puree.

I buy them at the local Mexican supermarket, split them, then cut the halves in thick strips and dry them.  The result is a useful dried fruit that can be plumped in a steamer, or in a liquid (water, syrup, wine, etc.) or simply chopped into pieces, from fine to coarse, and mixed into dough, cereal, rice, etc. 

I do the same with papaya, both the Asian and the large Mexican variety.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 02:50:10 am »
I can't help with bottling or canning mangoes because I have only canned mango puree.

I buy them at the local Mexican supermarket, split them, then cut the halves in thick strips and dry them.  The result is a useful dried fruit that can be plumped in a steamer, or in a liquid (water, syrup, wine, etc.) or simply chopped into pieces, from fine to coarse, and mixed into dough, cereal, rice, etc. 

Damn, saw about 6 ripe papaya's in the clearance bin today for about $3 total - couldn't figure out what to do with that much papaya. 

No sugar or anything - just dry in the Excalibur as is?

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 02:55:08 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies. Last year I put heaps in the freezer and thought that this time I might try bottling some but it might be just as easy to keep on freezing them.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 03:09:22 am »
Our local grocer has mangoes a tray for $20.  They are only the small ones, but a mango is a mango. Last year they were $12 a tray but he said they are a bit short this season. They freeze beautifully. In Kununurra they freeze them and you can get the most beautiful mango smoothies all year. Fresh mango blitzed with soft serve icecream and milk.

Tell your grocer he is dreaming. I just paid $7 for a tray of 16 huge mangoes. There  is no shortage of mangoes this season in Cairns. Freezing is the esiest for me and they retain their natural flavour.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 05:06:04 am »
Bought a tray of very large Mangoes at Vic Market just before Xmas $13 for 12.   Cut most up to freeze, into small blocks to make smoothies.......1 ice cube tray of frozen mango, 1/2 ice cube tray of frozen yoghurt.  Juice of 1 orange, zap to mush it up,  then added 2 trays of ice cubes.  No sugar.   J.D thanks for the recipe.   That W.W book is a good one.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 08:42:46 am »

Damn, saw about 6 ripe papaya's in the clearance bin today for about $3 total - couldn't figure out what to do with that much papaya. 

No sugar or anything - just dry in the Excalibur as is?

Yes.  They are done when they feel like rubber. (both mango and papaya)  I know it sounds funny but that's the test I use, otherwise I end up eating too many pieces to "test" them. 
I've also tried drying the papaya seeds and grinding them to add to spicy rubs, etc.  They have an interesting flavor. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 11:29:32 pm »
Sandy - my books just say to pack the mangoes into the bottles - fill with light syrup and bottle as usual.  Just wonder whether it may pay to boil them (not very long as they won't need much - 10 minutes, allow them to cool and them boil them again the next day for 10 minutes?  Must have been some bugs not killed by the heating.

Maybe they didn't boil for long enough/hot enough the first time?

Sorry, no other thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:31:16 pm by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.