Author Topic: Quirky Cooking - Coconut Lemon Chicken Soup (page 97)  (Read 11552 times)

Offline JuicyFruit

• View Profile
Quirky Cooking - Coconut Lemon Chicken Soup (page 97)
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:48:40 am »
Subs & Alterations: 1/4tsp dried chili instead of 1/2 long fresh, 3tsp raw sugar instead of coconut sugar, 2tbs hoisin sauce instead of fish, and 400g chicken breast instead of 300g thigh .. Oh and I made the coconut milk (100g dried/600g water, 100 / till steaming /sp1)  instead of using a can  ;)

Reminiscent of my favourite take-away that I only get to enjoy a few times a year - Thai green curry, I really can't express just how satisfying and enjoyable I found this ultra-easy-yet-flavoursome soup .. Even more so because I didn't have to buy any special ingredients for it (big bonus when you live isolated rural) ..

My son said it tasted "odd" lol, but happily ate all the chicken in his bowl, and I really don't mind as it just means there's more for me  ;D  

I'll definitely be making this one often .. Love it!

* I've already heated up left overs and poured into a bowl of some freshly steamed rice to make filling main meal
Linked CC
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:57:08 am by Cornish Cream »
~ Clare

Offline kmw

• View Profile
Re: Quirky Cooking - Coconut Lemon Chicken Soup (page 97)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:44:23 pm »
Sounds yum, I think I will give it a go tomorrow (if I don't have any soup in the freezer) as I feel like a soup.

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 06:13:34 am »
I have just made this for lunches for the next couple of days.  I do need to learn to read recipes first as I put some of the ingredients in before I should have but it didn't seem to make any difference. I think the only thing I would change would be to not put the chicken stock in as I find it just a little salty. Having said that though it tastes beautiful and I will definitely be making this again and again. 

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:17:54 am »
My family have just eaten this for dinner tonight and have all raved. It really is a delicious soup. Highly recommended.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 01:53:02 pm »
I made a batch of this on the weekend and froze to have after work. It looked a little odd, but after defrosting was delicious. We served it over rice too.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 01:38:28 pm »
I made a batch for lunch today. Very easy to make and a nice lemony taste. I used leftover bbq chicken instead. Would be nice with noodles too.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 04:29:10 pm »
Made this from her website as my daughter was getting a cold. I didn't realise how long it took to make chicken stock (I used the minimum 3 hour method) and didn't wait for it to cool as had no time. The chicken just fell off the bone after this so easy to cut up for soup.

This soup is too spicy for little ones but just right for me and hubby (using one red chilli with half seeds kept in). Such a lovely, warming Asian flavour to it - perfect for winter! The fresh stuff added at the end gives it an extra spice too which might be too much for some.

Will upload photo soon but will definitely make again. This time I will make the stock a day ahead.

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 02:41:16 pm »
Made this yesterday as part of my major Quirky Cooking binge this weekend.  2 thumbs up for this recipe for sure, it was outstanding!!

I made it almost exactly as per the recipe (subbed raw sugar for coconut sugar).  I didn't weigh the lemon juice, just used all the juice of 1 lemon, and my version was VERY lemony so I'm curious as to whether I put more than the 30 g. 

For next time I would definitely serve over rice to make it a bit heartier, although the thinner version was perfect for lunch when I had a sore throat.  I would also probably do a whole deseeded chilli to make it a bit spicier.  And I think I'd like to try it with chicken breast next time.

Offline ElsieD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 02:49:38 pm »
Is there any chance that someone would PM me the recipe?  if someone can, thanks in advance!

Offline Tasty

• View Profile

Offline ElsieD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 12:19:55 am »
Tasty, thank you so much!  It looks delicious.

Offline DeeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 08:41:12 pm »
Made this when we were all unwell, I swear by the time we had finished the soup we weren't feeling sick anymore. Such a beautiful light soup with great flavours.