Author Topic: Front loader vs top loader  (Read 13019 times)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Front loader vs top loader
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 01:27:50 am »
Mine is an Asko and has run problem-free for 6 1/2 years now.
Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that?
Tempting fate!! ???
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline agpest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 03:44:48 am »
I am on my third washer in 38 years of marriage all were Whirlpool the first one lasted for 20 years. The current one I have had for 2 years is a front loader and it has been great once I learned that since we have softened  cold & hot water to the laundry room I only needed to use 1/2 the soap. If you drop a sock and find it within  the first 3 to 4 minutes after starting a load you can stop it and add it. At the time we bought each washer it was the top rated by Consumers report. Right now Samsung & Electrolux are the top rated with LG & Whirlpool the most reliable but Bosch is very close in reliablity. I do not hang clothes outside here because of the dust, so I put all sheets, towels, and underwear in the dryer but the front loader gets so much more of the water out every thing dries faster.
From the desert,
Gayle

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 06:59:10 am »
Karen, it was interesting reading that you had an LG front loader and got rid of it. We did too and just before the 2 year warranty ran out it needed repairs. The next time it broke down we replaced it with a Bosch. That is really good.
DH managed to fix the LG himself for about $2, so now DD is having it when she moves out.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 09:17:38 am »
What dryer do you have agpest? That also on my list of things to get! It gets quite cold and frosty here in winter so i dont even bother to hang the clothes on the line. The dew hangs around in the morning and comes in again by late arvo so very little drying time. The dryer I currently have isnt keeping up too well!
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 03:36:48 pm »
I love my Fisher & Paykel top loader.  It's a 7kg & has plenty of options for length of cycle including one where you can put the clothes in, fill with water & it will hold them just agitating gently for 2 hours so that really dirty clothes can be soaked.  I have had it about 12 years & I guess it isn't as water efficient as a front loader.

For drying (important issue in Melbourne) I have clothes drying stands (clothes horses to the English among us) & hydronic heating so I never use a dryer.  I LOVE my hydronic heating......... :)

Offline agpest

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 04:49:53 pm »
I have a Whirlpool dryer but it is gas so it is more efficient than an electric. I think most front loaders come with prewash and soak cycles, on mine you can use them by themselves or add them to a wash cycle.  It has a silk cycle and a wool cycle. I never thought I would have a use for the wool cycle once we moved to the desert, on a business trip to Washington D.C. my husband discovered the cleaners had given him the wrong pants to his suit. The only place open late was J.C. Penney so he bought a cheap washable wool suit on sale. When it needs cleaning I just throw in the washer &  dryer and use the wool cycle on both. So far it looks good. I have only had to do this a few times because he does not have to wear suits much here.
From the desert,
Gayle

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 09:37:16 pm »
Miele is the best brand of washing machine - expensive but worth it. Definitely front loader.

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 02:31:09 am »
oh and ours has 400-1400 rpm.

anyone else having trouble with the forum keep crashing this mroning?

Yes, Brazen, I had trouble with the forum crashing (course it was not morning here :-)))
Aunt Annie

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 12:32:27 pm »
What dryer do you have agpest? That also on my list of things to get! It gets quite cold and frosty here in winter so i dont even bother to hang the clothes on the line. The dew hangs around in the morning and comes in again by late arvo so very little drying time. The dryer I currently have isnt keeping up too well!

I have a westinghouse sensor dry...love it as it stops when the clothes are dry  ;D Loads that I used to put on before for the 30 min cycle in my old dryer are quite often done in 10-15 mins in this one. This has reduced my power bill by a large amount in the winter!!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!