Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9030421 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #2475 on: January 18, 2010, 10:10:00 am »
glad you are back baf65.    Looking forward to some of the English recipes.

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: January 18, 2010, 10:13:45 am »
Welcome back Baf65 :)

Made some fruit bread, buttermilk scones, normal loaf of bread, some banana/raspberry/yoghurt and OJ shakes, just cooking up some rice to top with some of the left over apricot chicken for me and the boys are having leftover pasta bake from last night.

My Mum was very impressed with the butter-buttermilk scone-whipped cream and the strawberry jam demo I did while she was here for morning tea, she has asked to come back next week ;)
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: January 18, 2010, 11:44:18 am »
Glad you got back safely baf65 - what a contrast in temperatures.

Babymaker, our mothers are very impressed with the TMX.  I'm not surprised your Mum has asked you to come back next week, what has she requested next time :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Angela

• View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: January 18, 2010, 11:45:02 am »
I made the chicken and cashews from the EDC tonight. I was very impressed by how it turned out. I used twice the amount of chicken in the recipe and I was worried it would take too long to cook but it was fine. I overcooked the vege though.

I didn't have any sherry so I made a lemon and soy sauce - it needs work :lol

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: January 18, 2010, 12:08:31 pm »
Welcome back Baf65.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: January 18, 2010, 01:16:10 pm »
Babymaker, our mothers are very impressed with the TMX.  I'm not surprised your mum has asked you to come back next week, what has she requested next time :D :D
No requests, I'll have to find some thing!
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline Georgie

• View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: January 18, 2010, 03:33:40 pm »
Yes, another suffering in the heat today.

I made quiche this morning for tonight's dinner (before it got too hot) - shortcrust pastry from the EDC and then loosely followed the Quiche Lorraine recipe but made vegie quiche instead.

Made iced coffee for me, an apple/ice Boost-style juice for my 3 year old (if anyone here has seen the  WotWots, he requested a "Loopy Fruity with apple and apple, please"),, chocolate ice cream to freeze, some salad dressing to use  on tonight's salad and then I cooked pasta in it 'cos it's less hot than doing it on  the stove (my biggest child i.e. my partner doesn't eat quiche  :-)))

Offline WendyC

• View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: January 19, 2010, 04:28:26 am »
Hi all - i am new to the thermomix (and are loving it), just logged on here for some inspiration for dinner and saw someone having salmon fish cakes.  Can you please point me in the right direction to find the recipe for this?  I am also in Perth and thought they might be nice with some salad in this heat we are having!  Any help would be muchley appreciated.

PS: made a fruit smoothie for me and 4 yo son this morning using milk icecubes - mmmmmmmmmmm delicious ???

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: January 19, 2010, 06:45:48 am »
Welcome WendyC from another hot Perthite.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2484 on: January 19, 2010, 06:51:18 am »
Welcome WendyC - hope whoever wrote about it can help - do you know who it was? - send a PM

There are thai fish cakes in the seafood book? I think
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2485 on: January 19, 2010, 07:06:44 am »
Yesterday I made the Cashew Chicken from the Indian Cooking Made Easy, plus the Vegetable Curry and the Spicy Beans with Coconut. I made all these in the morning before it got too hot and then just did some spiced Basmati Rice before serving.

Baf, I make Salmon Patties, if that's what you mean:

I use two tins of Pink Salmon and about 4 potatoes. Boil the spuds in the TMX. Drain and reserve liquid from salmon tins. Put salmon in a bowl and break up with a fork, crushing the bones. Add 1 egg, lemon pepper to taste, spring onions or finely diced regular onion, lemon rind and a squeeze of lemon juice. Mash the potatoes and add to the salmon mixture. Form patties and coat with salt and pepper seasoned cornflour. Place in fridge for an hour or so. Some may need re-flouring prior to cooking as the mixture will make the cornflour a bit soggy. You can also coat with breadcrumbs instead.

For the sauce, add the juice and rind of one lemon to the reserved juice from the tins of salmon. Thicken with a cornflour slurry. I like to add a little mayonnaise and some chopped dill.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2486 on: January 19, 2010, 09:19:40 am »
I make fish cakes,  very simple.   Half mix of mashed pots. as in EDC book,  but with a couple of spring onions cooked in the mix. replacing the milk with the liquid from  1 large tin of pink salmon.  mash all together in TMX.   This will make 8 large fish cakes,  enough for 4 people., with salad.  I do crumb the cakes with egg and fresh bread crumbs.  Probably not as tasty as MJ's but easy.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: January 19, 2010, 03:56:46 pm »
I knew I was mad making bread today.  I need a solar oven too. We went for a drive up into the hills after lunch to buy some cheap stone fruit. I came home and made a batch of apricot jam as well as 'pigging out' on all the rest of the fruit. The jam is lovely. (Bron's recipe). I bought the dried apricots to do MJ's recipe but they will keep.

Cookie where did you go to get your fruit in the hills?
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: January 20, 2010, 06:21:33 am »
Meagan, it was opposite the little old lady that DH helps in the garden!!!!!! He's at car club at the moment, I'll let you know when he arrives home. I haven't got a clue what the name of the street is. Monday we got, plums, apricots and peaches. Last week we couldn't get apricots, but the same with nectarines. It's in Roleystone. It depends what they have been picking. Some of the stuff is horrid, but they do have small trays of things that are too small/large for sale. I paid $6 for about 5kg of apricots . You sort of be selective.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: January 20, 2010, 09:31:30 am »
After making the Tikka paste last week and freezing it in 100g lots, today I made Chicken Tikka Masala.  I used 3 large chicken breasts cut up and doubled the marinade/sauce.  Was really nice and tasty and 'hot' enough for us.
I also made another Portuguese loaf to have with it.  :)