Author Topic: MY "VERY NORMAL" BREAD  (Read 94564 times)

Offline isi

• View Profile
Re: MY "VERY NORMAL" BREAD
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2010, 01:04:25 am »
I have also done this afternoon!

It was Wonderful as always.
I hope that your also get to your taste ;) ;) ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2010, 06:19:21 am »
Great work again  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2010, 07:57:19 am »
Isi,  love the informal look and the different grains.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2010, 09:27:00 am »
Yum again.

We had pizza last night and of course I made the dough, but this time I used fresh yeast (thanks VHJ). DH didn't know that I had used it. This morning he asked what I had done differently with the bases as they were nicer this time and easier to cook. (he cooks them in the pizza maker).  The only thing different was the fresh yeast. I was really surprised as I didn't think it would/could make that much difference.
I was wondering what others think?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2010, 10:33:05 am »
The only thing different was the fresh yeast. I was really surprised as I didn't think it would/could make that much difference.
I was wondering what others think?
I only ever use fresh yeast now and was surprised myself at the taste and ease of rising using it. :)

My rolls were lovely.. ;D kids have eaten most of them already...  :o
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2010, 11:12:47 am »
I produced these rolls as part of my dinner party last night and my  guests couldn't believe that I had made them myself as they looked and tasted so good ....

I'm going to make it into a loaf next as I don't think I could be bothered to take the trouble to make rolls for our everyday usage and, anyway (says she in mitigation) I think we would eat less if we had slices  ;) ;).

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2010, 11:26:14 am »
Fresh yeast is obviously better Cookie1 but the last lot I bought seems to be not working.  It was the last piece in the continental shop cabinet, sitting atop a fresh batch and silly me bought it!! I froze it in 20g pieces as soon as I got home and in 3 lots of breadmaking it hasn't worked.  I thought it was just me but then I remembered the circumstances in which I bought the yeast and now think perhaps it was past its use by date.  My first 2 lots of isi's 'very normal bread' I used dry yeast and it was the best bread and rolls I have ever made.  Since then I have tried her next 2 bread postings with some thawed out fresh yeast and both were as heavy as and went straight into the bin - could have knocked someone out with them ;D ;D ;D  I have now put the yeast in the bin too and won't get sucked in again to buy the last piece in the shop.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2010, 11:35:04 am »
judy: Well, unfortunately not always what we buy is in the best conditions and we must be very careful!
Of course for the fresh yeast results in perfection has to be 100% fresh!
There is nothing worse than bad results in the things we do much more in the days we live in today! So when the final destination is garbage I get possessed! :(

Katya:  If the history of the slices proves positive - PLEASE NOTIFY :D :D :D

Ceejay: Glad you liked it - thanks for doing it as well :)
isi

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2010, 12:17:40 pm »
Thanks for all the thoughts on fresh yeast. It certainly looks the way to go if you can get it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2010, 09:02:47 am »
If you use dry yeast,  make sure you exclude all air when you close the packet.  I put a rubber band around mine.   Have not had ary problems.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2010, 07:14:09 am »
This morning I made my 5th or 6th loaf of this fantastic bread.  I'm sure I followed the recipe exactly, but after 2.5 hours, it was not popping out the hole.  It had risen, but not enough.  I did cook it just to see if it would work, but it ended up in the bin.

So tried again this afternoon.  It's looking good, 45min approx, and about to wave at me.

I haven't changed anything.  Same yeast, same flour etc.  The only thing I can think of is........normally I put the yeast straight onto the warm water and then add the flour.  I like watching the yeast bubble.  But this morning I didn't do that.  Could that be what went wrong?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2010, 07:18:23 am »
Could be. Great bread isn't it Cathy79? Sooo easy letting it rise in the TMX. Fun to see it pop up.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2010, 10:06:15 am »
Cathy79,  did you use dry or fresh yeast.?   Dry doesn't mind being put in with dry ingredients,  and fresh is usually dissolved in liquid.  Think this might be your problem.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2010, 04:18:17 pm »
Without reading thru every single page....can someone in WA please tell me where I can get fresh yeast from?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2010, 11:06:45 pm »
Cathy79,  did you use dry or fresh yeast.?   Dry doesn't mind being put in with dry ingredients,  and fresh is usually dissolved in liquid.  Think this might be your problem.
I've always used dry yeast, and second loaf worked from same yeast.  Any other thoughts?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com