Author Topic: Bonjour from Montreal, Canada  (Read 18343 times)

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
Bonjour from Montreal, Canada
« on: May 15, 2009, 12:47:55 am »
Hi guys!

My name is Marie-Josée, and I'm from Montreal, Canada. Thermomix is virtually unknown here. I heard about it when I asked friends on Facebook for feedback on bread machines. A French colleague of mine told me that I needed a Thermomix instead, and a week after I had mine!

I have a bit of a challenge though, because since I'm French speaking, they gave me a French cook book, but it's in French from France, which is about as different as Mandarin and Cantonese! Well ok, maybe not, but different enough to ruin a perfectly good recipe.

So I'm looking forward to exchanging tips and tricks from all of you guys, but especially the one or two other North American members :)
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bonjour from Montreal, Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:52:17 am »
Hi Marie-Josee, you certainly didn't waste any time deciding on what you wanted.  I wish you many happy days of cooking in your new TMX and would like to welcome you to this wonderful forum of friends from around the globe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 05:04:22 am »
welcome Marie-Josée! am lol at the french cookbooks, what a shame! hope you can find some great recipes on here!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:37:41 am »
Welcome - It's nice to have you onboard!!!

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Trudy (Australia)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 08:29:32 am »
Bonjour MrSpock - et bienvenue -  just thought (difficult at my age but sometimes works) - if vous parlez francais - you really should also (but not exclusively) look at http://www.vorwerk.com/fr/thermomix/html/thermomix.html and join the forum there at http://www.vorwerk.com/fr/thermomix/html/forum_recettes.html

Great to have you here and hope we can help, but you'll find lots on the  French site - especially recipes that are possibly more relevant.

Bon chance.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline kniki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 10:36:51 am »
Bonjour!  I'm a French speaking Australian. I hope you have lots of fun with your TM31 - I've had mine for nine days now and I'm still overawed!
Niki
I live in beautiful Brisbane (bayside)
gluten free is for me

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 07:18:49 pm »
Thank you all for the warm welcome :)

...- if vous parlez francais - you really should also (but not exclusively) look at http://www.vorwerk.com/fr/thermomix/html/thermomix.html and join the forum there at http://www.vorwerk.com/fr/thermomix/html/forum_recettes.html

Great to have you here and hope we can help, but you'll find lots on the  French site - especially recipes that are possibly more relevant.

Bon chance.

Actually, that's my problem: The French (from France) recipes are absolutely not relevant! My reaction is either
  • What does THAT mean??
  • I am NOT eating that! No way! (as in fish heads in soup, ew!) or
  • That looks yummy, but I'll gain 10 lbs just looking at it. I swear, 75% of the recipes in my book have either 40% cream or bacon. Quoting the movie City Slickers... "The man ate bacon at every meal... you just can't do that! " :)

I must admit almost total ignorance of the Australian way of life, so I'm looking forward to see if we have more in common :D

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:57:27 pm »
LOL!

we don't eat poutine ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 11:38:09 pm »
LOL!

we don't eat poutine ;)

Aw, you guys are missing out on the good stuff! Although I'm not sure how I'd make that in my TMX!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 02:36:59 am »
I saw a program once about why French women (or maybe it was women from Paris) don't put on weight but with the type of food they eat over there, I find it hard to understand why not :o :o :o   So much butter, cream etc in their recipes as Mr Spock attests to.  Hope you find a happy medium with your recipes from all over the world, especially here on the forum.  Must admit, most recipes aren't low fat though - it would be nice to have more in this category. Good luck in your search for recipes which will appeal to you - a bad recipe book is not a good start to your life with the TMX.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 01:09:11 am »
I saw a program once about why French women (or maybe it was women from Paris) don't put on weight but with the type of food they eat over there, I find it hard to understand why not :o :o :o   
Me too JD, but I cant remember the reason why they dont either! Thinks it was possibly something like the fact being its all sooooo rich that you cant eat that much (otherwise you would be sick) and thats why they are all a size 8!!!! :'( :'( :'( Instead of an 18 like me!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Welcome Marie Josee! I live in Spain, you have a very Spanish name ??? any Spanish blood there?
Amanda

Spain

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 05:56:11 pm »
I saw a program once about why French women (or maybe it was women from Paris) don't put on weight but with the type of food they eat over there, I find it hard to understand why not :o :o :o   
Quantities is one thing, but I believe the #1 difference is the cooking with whole, fresh ingredients, as opposed to eating processed food. This is the main reason why I got my Thermomix in the first place actually. I read about people making everything from scratch with their TMX, from mayonnaise to peanut butter. That alone sold it to me, as I had recently made the decision to get rid of as much prepared food as possible in my diet. Today's processed food, with the immensely stupid "low fat" trend, stipped all food from important nutrients like Omega 3, replacing them with sugar. Here's a great article on the subject: Food, Drink, and Decadence: How the French Stay Thin

Welcome Marie Josee! I live in Spain, you have a very Spanish name ??? any Spanish blood there?
Thanks! No Spanish blood that I know! My blood is all French Canadian and all the way back to France. Actually I didn't even know my name had anything Spanish... Catholic heritage maybe?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 03:54:20 am »
Interesting reading MrSpock but how does one eat slower ??? I like my food piping hot and unlike DH who takes an hour to eat his meal, I have finished in less than 10 minutes at the most. It all makes sense, virtually eat what you like, in moderation and walk everywhere - I do the first one, maybe overdo the second one and definitely don't have time to do the final one (plus my knees are a bit dicky anyway and I don't want to wear them out unnecessarily :P :P :P)  I have decided to be comfortable in my body and enjoy my time on this earth whilst I am here ;D ;D  I think genes also play a big role in our shape so I can blame Mum for that one. Having said that, I am only a size 12-14 so don't feel it is a problem even though I would prefer to be a size 10-12.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 02:21:52 pm »
Belated hello MrSpock! 

I'm a frequent visitor to Montreal and absolutely love the restaurants there.  You do know you have a cooking shop in Montreal that offers ThermoMix demos and I guess sell the units?  I believe they're holding ThermoMix cooking classes too.  They're on St. Laurent, on the downtown side of Little Italy; I can't remember the name.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 02:31:05 pm »
Quantities is one thing, but I believe the #1 difference is the cooking with whole, fresh ingredients, as opposed to eating processed food. This is the main reason why I got my Thermomix in the first place actually. I read about people making everything from scratch with their TMX, from mayonnaise to peanut butter. That alone sold it to me, as I had recently made the decision to get rid of as much prepared food as possible in my diet. Today's processed food, with the immensely stupid "low fat" trend, stipped all food from important nutrients like Omega 3, replacing them with sugar. Here's a great article on the subject: Food, Drink, and Decadence: How the French Stay Thin

Welcome MrSpock.  The TMX is fantastic for getting back to the whole foods - that's what got me into the TMX too, to get rid of all the nasties in our foods these days.

Enjoy this fantastic website!!

And after saying that - must say I also side with JD here, still working on the balance thing. But can happily say that since I've pretty much been cooking 95% with the TMX (I don't have saucepans anymore) I've lost about 7kgs (in 7 months) without trying.  All good wholesome food.  I probably should minimise some of the stuff, but we're only here once, might as well enjoy it!   :P :P ;) :D :D :D

Interesting reading MrSpock but how does one eat slower ??? I like my food piping hot and unlike DH who takes an hour to eat his meal, I have finished in less than 10 minutes at the most. It all makes sense, virtually eat what you like, in moderation and walk everywhere - I do the first one, maybe overdo the second one and definitely don't have time to do the final one (plus my knees are a bit dicky anyway and I don't want to wear them out unnecessarily :P :P :P)  I have decided to be comfortable in my body and enjoy my time on this earth whilst I am here ;D ;D  I think genes also play a big role in our shape so I can blame Mum for that one. Having said that, I am only a size 12-14 so don't feel it is a problem even though I would prefer to be a size 10-12.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog