Author Topic: Poached eggs  (Read 19620 times)

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
Re: Poached eggs
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 02:38:29 am »
 :D Was actually really quick.  Just a simple figure 8 through the vents with kitchen string, and a little more to tie each egg on.  If feeding a crowd, you could easily do this the night before and stash the lid in the fridge, then all you need do in the morning is up-end it on the varoma bowl and cook - done in 10 minutes!

And yes, I know it's a very weird thing to be doing at 2am!  Even sadder was the fact that I couldn't sleep after doing that wondering if it would work when I cooked them!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 02:42:34 am »
I think your idea is brilliant O2K and with being able to set it up the night before would make a very quick breakfast next morning.  DH doesn't eat eggs for breakfast so I will be trying the wrapping in gladwrap method for a light tea one night.  I'm like you, if I go to bed and think about food or have just finished going through a recipe book or 2, I also have trouble turning off. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 02:52:57 am »
Ohh I love that idea! what a brilliant one!! This will also be another great one for those with large families that are always looking for ideas.  :-* :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 03:24:22 am »
JD, just remember to spray the inside of the plastic wrap with a bit of oil so the eggs come out easily once they're cooked.  Also, to get them in there in the first place, lay the wrap over a glass and poke it down a bit so there's a hollow for the egg to sit in, then just gather the edges and tie up.  Easy peasy.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 05:45:44 am »
Lateral thinking well done.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 05:56:43 am »
Thanks for the extra information O2K, using boiling water, how long would you cook them ?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2011, 06:14:31 am »
As with any egg dish, it always depends on temp of eggs and how 'well done' you like them.  I think you'd be safe with the same time or slightly less than you would do for boiled eggs in water.  Say 7-8 minutes?  The good thing about cooking them in the plastic wrap is that you can lift them up with a slotted spoon and take a look around to see if the white is fully cooked (especially if you leave a bit of a gap at the top when you wrap up your egg).  I can't stand having any runny white, but still like the yolk to be a bit runny.