Author Topic: Suggestions for a nice meal for my grandparents.  (Read 12024 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Suggestions for a nice meal for my grandparents.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 12:05:48 pm »
Haha! Reminds me of the story of the old lady with the peanuts she'd always offer to guests. She had no teeth and they used to be chocolate peanuts...

Which fish place do you go to Amy? I'd love some Blue Eye and I'm in Albany next Monday.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 12:09:31 pm »
LOL MJ ;D
I go to Colley's, out lower Denmark Road. Definitely the best fish place in Albany ;)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 01:12:54 pm »
Thanks, yep I know the one! I'll be there with bells on next Monday!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 01:21:39 pm »
Excellent! I'll warn them that you're coming ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 01:32:46 pm »
Amy,  I love ginger also.  I'll see what I can find.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 01:47:37 pm »
Chookie, it would be great if you could help me look. We just had a phone call saying that grandpa has been to the doctor and they don't think he will be around much longer. He is getting very confused and giving nana a hard time. Apparently he gets up at midnight and tries to have a shower because he thinks its morning, and he wants to go to bed at 6pm because he thinks he's had his dinner but he hasn't. He's started wandering off, and if nana goes out, he'll go looking for her. He says each night that he doesn't think he will wake up in the morning.
All this has started happening just over the last week. He's going downhill very quickly and I'm scared for him.

I haven't been able to stop crying since we got the call :'(

We are going to have a big cook up on Saturday and take the meals up for nana to keep in her freezer, because she is very tired from having to look after grandpa and watch him all the time. I will cook all the meals I had planned to put in the recipe folder, and then nana can pick her favourite ones and I will cook them for her every week.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 02:55:15 pm »
Amy, Steamed Roast Chicken from Devil of a Cookbook is YUMMY. Very low fat. I will PM you the recipe if you want?
You sound like a lovely girl and i can't wait to meet you.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:29:06 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 11:12:19 pm »
Hang in there. Amy.  Will send some recipes that both GP's will enjoy.  Mostly soups and puds.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 12:00:25 am »
Thanks ladies :) I knew we would get a call like this sometime but for some reason its still a shock... :(

Thanks CP, I do have the Devil cookbook but I haven't tried cooking the roast chicken yet. I read on here that there are a few mistakes in the cookbook. Are there any in the roast chicken recipe?

Chookie, I found your recipe for pear and ginger pudding. Do you think that would be suitable for them? Not too sweet or chewy?

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 02:28:21 am »
No mistakes in that recipe, and make sure you use the "jug juice" to make gravy. I just added 50g Plain flour to it, 12 mins, Varoma, Speed 1 - delicious!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 04:52:50 am »
Amy I made lovely Ginger Nut biscuits from this site on the weekend and we loved them. they were the ones rolled in sugar but I'm sure you wouldn't have to do that part.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 04:57:23 am »
Amy,  the pear and ginger Pud would be perfect.  Also a ginger biscuits recipe with Spelt flour.  You don't have to use the spelt.  VERY gingery.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 05:17:06 am »
Amy. you are right in giving your grandmother a break. She will need it more and more. Even if some members of the family can spend time with grandpa so that she could go visiting or shopping... just to get out of the house is a break.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 06:16:38 am »
No mistakes in that recipe, and make sure you use the "jug juice" to make gravy. I just added 50g Plain flour to it, 12 mins, Varoma, Speed 1 - delicious!

Thanks for that CP, I might practice it at home tomorrow or Thursday before I make it for nana and grandpa. I want to get it perfect for them :)

Wonder, do you think those biscuits would be alright for false teeth?

Thanks Chookie, I noticed you have a few nice looking ginger recipes on here ;)

Courton, the problem will be convincing my nana that she needs a break. She is a very determined woman and has been married to my grandpa for 60 years. I don't think she would leave him for any longer than it takes to buy some bread and milk.
My mum rang nana this morning and she had been crying. She said she has never seen grandpa like this in all the time they've been married. She had to convince him this morning that there weren't any cats or dogs in traps out the back :(
The doctors are saying its lack of oxygen, not dementia or anything, but I don't know if thats better and worse :'(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 07:21:46 am »
Amy, it is so nice to hear of your concern for your grandparents and all the things you are going to do to help out.  I'm sure your nana will appreciate it so much - it must be hard for her at her age coping with grandpa.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.