Author Topic: Suggestions for a nice meal for my grandparents.  (Read 12025 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Suggestions for a nice meal for my grandparents.
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:15:00 pm »
Hi everyone :D

The night before the WA Reatreat Weekend I will be staying with my grandparents to make it easier for me to get to Gracetown for the weekend. My nana does have a thermomix but I don't think she uses it much, so I'd like to cook her a really nice meal in it on the night that I'm staying :D

But I'm not sure what to cook ???

My grandparents are both in their 80's and not very active, so the meal can't be too high in fat. My grandpa has type 2 diabetes, so it has to be fairly balanced, and he also has false teeth, so it can't be something that would be difficult for him to eat.

I know they like fish but can't afford to get it fresh very often, so I thought it would be nice if I took them a few good quality fillets. I was thinking then that I could cook them a nice fish dish and show nana how to make it too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a nice meal for my grandparents.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 01:39:32 pm »
Amy have you got the My Way of Cooking recipe book?  My favourite fish recipe is in that on page 130 Codfish fillets with citrus butter - vegies are cooked at the same time then the citrus butter is made.  It is delicious.  I can't always get codfish here and they don't even know what I'm talking about half the time but a good fishmonger will be able to tell you the equivalent fish, it is quite thick.  There is butter in the sauce of course but you could spoon that sparingly onto pop's plate.  I'll pm you the recipe if you would like it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:48:36 pm »
Judy, I don't have the My Way of Cooking recipe book but that recipe sounds delicious :D I'd really appreciate it if you could PM it to me, as long as its no hassel for you :-*

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 02:03:29 pm »
On it's way Amy
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:38:02 pm »
Cod is called Blue Eye Trevalla in Australia. Or, simply Blue Eye. It's a firm fish. Ask for a firm fish when you buy it Amy.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:19:16 am »
Amy I have posted a couple of fish recipes,  using salmon.  Both are cooked in the Varoma, in a dish, in a sauce.  You could shape a sheet of foil to fit if you don't have a dish.  Judy't dish sounds similar, just different fish,  different sauce.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 12:29:00 am »
On it's way Amy

Thank you so much Judy :-*

Cod is called Blue Eye Trevalla in Australia. Or, simply Blue Eye. It's a firm fish. Ask for a firm fish when you buy it Amy.

I think I remember seeing Blue Eye Trevalla in my local fish factory. I will have to ask them whether they get it in often ;) Thanks MJ! :D

Amy I have posted a couple of fish recipes,  using salmon.  Both are cooked in the Varoma, in a dish, in a sauce.  You could shape a sheet of foil to fit if you don't have a dish.  Judy't dish sounds similar, just different fish,  different sauce.

They sound good too Chookie, thank you! :D I can print them off and give to my nana because she doesn't have a computer. Maybe I should print off some other good recipes too and put them in a folder for her? That sounds like a good idea :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 12:31:50 am »
The recipe book for your GP is an excellent idea.  Amy.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:20:30 am »
Amy I often bake salmon fillets in the oven in a cream and mustard dijonnaise mix.  I know cream is high fat but you dont use very much.  This recipe is for two so change it up depending on how many you are cooking for.

Place your salmon in a baking dish.  In a separate bowl (or the tmx if you are using more cream for more people) whip up till reasonably stiff around a third of a cup of cream,  then stir in about 2 tbspns of the digonnaise, which you have mixed a good rounded teaspoon of cornflour into ( I use Maille), optional extras I add if I have them on hand are capers or pink and green peppercorns (the ones in the jars preserved in a liquid).  Mix all together and spread over the top of the fillets (sorry about the basic instructions...I made this up as I went along years ago, if it looks like not enough add a bit more).
On top of this place a few sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme ... love the rosemary myself.
Bake in a moderate oven for around 20 minutes (more or less depending on how you like your salmon cooked).

Another easy and quick recipe is in a pan place your salmon fillets add a good half a cup of sparkling wine and a tbspn of seeded mustard.  Put the lid on and turn up to quite high and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated,  enrich with a dash or six of cream and swirl around together til all heated through and salmon cooked to your liking... serve with whatever you have decided.  You can change the mustard for curry powder or paste and the cream for coconut mik etc.  Stick with the champers though it's a nice stock for the fish.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 04:10:17 am »
If you are making a recipe book make sure it is in big font!

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 04:28:14 am »
Thanks for those ideas Jude59 :)

If you are making a recipe book make sure it is in big font!

Good point courton, I almost didn't think of that!!! :-)) :-)) :-))

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 04:56:16 am »
Amy the recipe book is a great idea. Try to include well tested recipes and maybe all in one so that your Grandmother can cook the vegies and meat at the same time.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 05:24:10 am »
Thanks cookie, the all in one meals will probably be the best way to go :) I'll also have to look at the ingredients of recipes and check that they're not going to be too expensive ;)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 07:32:29 am »
All GP love sweets,  and there are plenty for Diabetics.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 11:36:59 am »
Oh yes Chookie, they love a good pudding or cake :D My grandpa absolutely LOVES ginger, so I will search the forum for some kind of ginger sweet ;) I remember we went to a lollly shop once, and they only had chocolate coated ginger. So we bought that and I chewed all the chocolate from the outside and then gave the ginger to grandpa :D :D