Author Topic: Isi´s easy Portuguese Rolls  (Read 200793 times)

Offline Bimby Girl

• View Profile
Re: Isi´s easy Portuguese Rolls
« Reply #210 on: October 28, 2010, 12:14:21 pm »
Yummy, made these delicious rolls today.  Thanks for the recipe  :)

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2010, 10:57:47 pm »
I made these rolls and like everyone else they were fabulous, and they looked just like the picture! This was finally my first real bread success - thank you Isi, i think i am going to start trying all your bread posts!

I did find that they were still a little heavy inside. Should i add a little more yeast, or increase the resting time? I did use powdered yeast, as i havent been able to find fresh yeast anywhere in Sydney. Does anyone have any ideas, as I am planning to bake some more rolls this afternoon for the family BBQ (yes to show off my new bread making skills too)  ;)

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2010, 11:55:28 pm »
Hello  :) :)

I am so happy that this recipe stillis so popular - thank you for all the nice comments!

@mel: maybe try to rest them a litle more time. I dont have much experience with dry yeast so I dont know if that can be the reason.
When I have visitores for BBQ I love to make this one:
    http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2899.0

maybe you will try it - it is soooo easy to make and you can adapt it with your favorite flours and seeds.

Best regards
isi 

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2010, 01:29:27 am »

I did use powdered yeast, as i havent been able to find fresh yeast anywhere in Sydney. Does anyone have any ideas, as I am planning to bake some more rolls this afternoon for the family BBQ (yes to show off my new bread making skills too)  ;)

You can buy fresh yeast at any Bakers Delight. They will cut you a hunk and probably charge you the price of the cheapest loaf of bread as they just have that on the till. They find it hard to figure it out so maybe make that suggestion. Works for me. Sometimes the manager will just charge a dollar or two and pocket it. Whatever.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2010, 03:14:26 am »
I made these rolls and like everyone else they were fabulous, and they looked just like the picture! This was finally my first real bread success - thank you Isi, i think i am going to start trying all your bread posts!

I did find that they were still a little heavy inside. Should i add a little more yeast, or increase the resting time? I did use powdered yeast, as i havent been able to find fresh yeast anywhere in Sydney. Does anyone have any ideas, as I am planning to bake some more rolls this afternoon for the family BBQ (yes to show off my new bread making skills too)  ;)
You may not have given them enough time to rise in the 2nd.rise, (after you shaped them),  or the room wasn't warm enough for them to rise in the time stated..The room should be about 20 - 25 degrees.
I don't think the problem is the dry yeast, as this is what I use all the time.
Persist as this is a fab. recipe from Isi.

Offline Terri

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2010, 02:28:51 am »
 ;D made these today for the second time and today i had success "yay" first time i think i used some honey that doesn't apppeal or maybe added too much. But i did use Aldi's organic honey today and the bread still warm from the oven has been devoured!!! Thank you so much Isi it is the lightest loaf of bread i have made so far!!

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2010, 03:30:13 am »
Thank you, Isi.  this my new favourite.  Second time I made it had drama, attending crying toddler while kneading and TMX fell off from the bench  :'(   Learninghard way.  Releived that no major issue, back from technician today, and guess what, made another one now!
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2010, 03:37:17 am »
Oh my goodness.  What a scare.  Somewhere on the forum I read a good tip for that.  Sit a plastic bowl in between the TM and the edge of the bench when on the kneading cycle.  If the bowl drops to the floor it is time to check the TM.  I know HQ advise not to leave it at all, but that can be so tricky with little tots. :)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2010, 04:46:49 am »
Thank you for the tips, Chelsea!
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2010, 05:25:24 am »
Your experience is a good reminder to us all of what can happen Denzelmum.  Mine rarely moves around so I've been a bit braver leaving it to do it's kneading whilst I've left the room.  Not any more, I'm staying with it in future.  I would be devastated to hear that noise as it hits the ground.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Terri

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2010, 05:26:47 am »
 :o that was lucky Denzelmum, and great idea thanks for passing that on Chelsea i'll have to start doing that!!

Offline Radha

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 12, 2010, 10:21:32 am »
Thank you Gretchen for putting me onto this recipe!!

I make these rolls all the time, I also made the pizza dough out of them (substituting the honey with olive oil instead).
I

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2011, 06:05:37 am »
Found it! Will give this a shot tomorrow. Amazing how bread recipes can make you excited when the local shops have none!!!

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 06, 2011, 12:23:09 am »
"BIGSMILEFROMEARTOEAR"
Thank you all nice people!
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 07, 2011, 11:12:40 am »
After all the great reviews I had to try this tonight as a precursor for a BBQ dinner tomorrow. We all loved them. They were so crunchy and tasty. Definitely on the menu tomorrow. Thanks isi.
Sue from North Queensland