Author Topic: Are my blades ruined?  (Read 15822 times)

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
Are my blades ruined?
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:39:48 am »
Hi
yes wrong section I know but I am posting here hoping for more traffic.
I am wondering if my blades are ruined.  I have just gone to make family chowder and the blades won't spin.  I've taken every thing out and it spins empty and with just water but as soon as I put in any vegies to chop - no go.  Just a spinning sound but no movement, not even on reverse.  Are they blunt?  Are they dead?  Other than freezing the blades - any other suggestions?
TIA
Narelle

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Are my blades ruined?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:45:13 am »
oh no  :( That doesn't sound good at all if they wont move. Might pay to ring HO or your consultant. Good luck.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:48:56 am »
Thanks Dede.  They move with nothing in them but as soon as there is anything of weight in there - even a bit of vegies they won't.  It's make the noise but no action :( sounds expensive doesn't it!

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:07:01 am »
My powers of deduction (and my hope) tell me that it's blunt bades.  Today I have made fruit smoothies, a whole orange cake including grinding almonds and a butter cream icing with no issues.  As per pp the blades spin when the bowl is empty or with water and just prior to this I had cut up onions by dropping them on to the spinning blades with no dramas.  I can still drop sweet potato on to the spinning blades and it cuts them finely.  It's just when it gets some resistance.  So blades are in the freezer and fingers are crossed.

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:52:12 am »
I can tell you they are ruined. That has happened to me 3 times and is no way to fix it. New blades is around 60€

Offline Peleep

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:31:33 am »
Just a thought.

Blunt = tries to cut (and therefore spins), but does not cut cleanly.

No spin with or without resistance (doesn't matter really) = something is wrong with the spindle on which the blade sits and rotates around . i.e. doesn't matter if the blade is sharp or blunt.

It seems like you've described moments where the blade doesn't spin with resistance; and equally, there are times it spins with resistance.  That is odd.

What other circumstances are you observing when the blade doesn't spin? e.g. only when wet?

Is it still under warrantee? Your supplier will probably be able to replace for free/at discounted cost?

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 10:37:26 am »
The only time it doesn't spin is when it has something "heavy"  it still spins in half a bowl of water.  I will leave the blades in the freezer overnight and try with ice and hard vegies again in the morning. 
Thanks for the replies.

Offline Peleep

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:41:15 am »
The only time it doesn't spin is when it has something "heavy"  it still spins in half a bowl of water.  I will leave the blades in the freezer overnight and try with ice and hard vegies again in the morning. 
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like there is something wrong with the spindle on which the blades sit. They spin around this axis. Too loose a spindle = no spin at all. A little loose = no spin with resistance. Absolutely tight = spin at all times (normal behaviour).

Freezing might give a little bit of an improvement, but won't last long. You'll still need to contact the supplier I think. good luck. keep us posted on the outcome.

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:50:48 am »
Sounds like there is something wrong with the spindle on which the blades sit. They spin around this axis. Too loose a spindle = no spin at all. A little loose = no spin with resistance. Absolutely tight = spin at all times (normal behaviour)

Well I guess if that's the case, new blades are still the end result aren't they?  Cause I would imagine it's a complete set that sits down in to the bowl?  Or perhaps back to HO for repair? 

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 10:57:14 am »
My gut instinct is that it isn't blunt blades as I think that wouldn't happen overnight - you would probably have noticed a deterioration in performance before then.

The spindle idea sounds better - but I'm sure HO will be able to give you a better idea.   

Let us know what they say

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 11:07:05 am »
hmmm we had this problem recently, but it seems to have rectified itself thank goodness. was making awful noises too
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 11:14:31 am »
Get in touch with HO. If your tm is under warranty, they should give you new blades - it happened to a friend of mine, and the  thread on the blades went - if your  blades move when you hold the middle bit (don['t know the techy term), the thread or whatever is gone. you need new blades.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 11:22:49 am »
the above happened to me thermoheaven, once when it was under warranty and then about 6months later when the warranty ran out. HO thought that I had overloaded the bowl. The only time that I suspected that perhaps I had was making laundry powder, and that is why I have amended the recipe I used to do only half a batch at a time. Narelle have you been blitzing anything heavy lately?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 12:35:08 pm »
Yes, sounds like the blades are dead - and that generally happens after overloading the bowl over a fairly long period of time. Do you always follow the recommended maximum amounts for processing in the front of the EDC? (Pg 3) They can work for ages whilst being overloaded, then suddenly they'll just refuse to turn anymore, overnight! I always warn my customers to stick to the max amounts! So, yeah, new set of blades, which will cost you $150, unless the tmx is still under warranty.
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 11:20:33 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I probably have been a bit slack in the chopping size of hard vegetables so perhaps inadvertently overloading :( anyhoo, my consultant is no longer selling but I've found another who lives close by and has a set of blades I can buy today.  So I will still contact HO (not sure if I bought at the end of Aug 09 or 08) but at the very least I've got new blades today.  I was having withdrawals already!
Thanks again