Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6035485 times)

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #12405 on: January 04, 2014, 10:52:51 pm »
Not a lot.  Tuatara and some geckos would be about all we have, and don't exactly see them running around like the lizards I've seen while on holiday in Aus. Tuatara are protected and only found in certain places now (like the sanctuary we went to which is rat-free).  Before that I'd only seen them at the zoo.  It was pretty cool to see them just hanging around in the sun, and there were some enclosures with lots of baby tuatara too (I think they keep them sheltered until they are big enough to avoid birds as it's also a bird sanctuary - can go on night walks to see kiwi etc).

Nope, no snakes either.  I wouldn't know what to do if I saw one - I'd be a big girl about them too, I'm sure.

My DH is a bit the same though - if we've had birds in the house, or mice (once a dead rat outside), or wetas in the garden, it's always me who has to deal with it as he's suddenly "very busy" doing something else. 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

mcmich

« Reply #12406 on: January 04, 2014, 11:31:06 pm »
I would like to live without snakes. I don't mind the goannas and blue tongues coming into the yard, it's DH that is bothered by them and boy are they hard to encourage back into the bush. They aren't timid and like to stay put.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #12407 on: January 04, 2014, 11:57:07 pm »
Karen,my DS wants to see that exhibition tomorrow . Is it really worth queuing for?

This reply may be too late Sue, but IMO it is not worth the drive and the queue.   Most of the lego things on display could have been built by our kids, except for one or two larger things - but still not as impressive as I was expecting.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #12408 on: January 05, 2014, 12:11:35 am »
I would like to live without snakes. I don't mind the goannas and blue tongues coming into the yard, it's DH that is bothered by them and boy are they hard to encourage back into the bush. They aren't timid and like to stay put.

My parents in law use some product to discourage snakes. They swear by it. We've never seen a snake here.

Trying to escape the heat today. Might clean out a few cupboards and more cooking later.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #12409 on: January 05, 2014, 12:44:58 am »
Packing for our holiday... :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #12410 on: January 05, 2014, 12:54:32 am »
DH and I have wanted to get some geckos for a while but we both work away during the week for up to 4 nights. Whilst my parents love dog sitting, they're not too keen

We have hundreds and hundreds of geckos. Come and get them. A pain in the butt.Noisy dirty critters and they spray sperm on the windows which is very difficult to remove. They drive us crazy.They  ate the power board on one airconditioner. They get Into to the smallest of spaces and ruin appliances.  Nasty horrible critters.. Every day I have to clean up the poop on the patio from their previous night!a frolicking on the ceiling. Bring your friends. Uncles , cousins and take them away.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #12411 on: January 05, 2014, 03:17:29 am »
Are they going to rebuild it Michele?  I don't know how many 'big' things we have in SA, I can only think of the giant rocking horse in the hills town of Gumeracha.
Don't they have a giant lobster at Kingston or Robe Judy? Never seen it myself, but I did see the Big Orange years ago, think it was around Berri? Don't know if it's still there. The Big Koala at Dadswell Bridge always gives my kids a giggle whenever we drive past on our way to SA.
I'm home alone today, kids are spending a few days with grandma as I go back to work tomorrow. Took the opportunity to go clothes shopping for myself, picked up some nice things, very happy! Need to do some housework now so I'm prepared to re-enter the rat race, cleaner's on holidays boo hoo!
The girls loved seeing the geckos up your way Gert, the only time we see them here is when the cat brings one in from the garden, I'm constantly rescuing the little critters much to puss's disgust!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #12412 on: January 05, 2014, 03:30:55 am »
Haha Gert. Plenty here too! One fell from the roof right at our feet last night.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12413 on: January 05, 2014, 04:39:41 am »
Yes, you jogged my memory about those two Deb.  I've seen the big orange but not the lobster.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #12414 on: January 05, 2014, 06:41:56 am »
Are they going to rebuild it Michele?  I don't know how many 'big' things we have in SA, I can only think of the giant rocking horse in the hills town of Gumeracha.
Don't they have a giant lobster at Kingston or Robe Judy? Never seen it myself, but I did see the Big Orange years ago, think it was around Berri? Don't know if it's still there. The Big Koala at Dadswell Bridge always gives my kids a giggle whenever we drive past on our way to SA.

Here is the Big Lobster at Kingston SE.

Karen in Adelaide

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12415 on: January 05, 2014, 06:54:19 am »
I remember seeing that lobster quite a few years ago.

I like geckos but would not like as many as Gert. We had them in Broome but our house had mainly shutters and fly wire as walls so it wasn't a problem.
Lizards and goannas don't worry me, snakes I will run a mile in the opposite direction.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #12416 on: January 05, 2014, 09:20:19 am »
we have lots of ghekos too, like Gert.

relaxing in the pool, as it is so hot today.
 :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #12417 on: January 05, 2014, 12:52:13 pm »
Packing for our holiday... :D

Where are you going?
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #12418 on: January 05, 2014, 02:16:41 pm »
DH and I applied water vapour barrier to the lounge room floor this morning. The whole floor had to be completed in 30 mins. A tiny bit stressful.

Then we escaped the house (and smell!) for Albany :) First trip there.

Arrived at Castle Rock, Porongurup in the afternoon. It was quite a challenging climb for me. Had flashbacks of my hiking heyday from 20 years ago. Different ball game now :(

Thank goodness the view from the summit made the climb worthwhile :)

The Balancing Rock :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12419 on: January 05, 2014, 02:19:34 pm »
Sounded like fun BZB, nice pictures.  I hope the smell had dissipated by the time you arrived back home.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.