Author Topic: Anyone successfully made a nice jam?  (Read 70667 times)

Offline marmee

• View Profile
Re: Anyone successfully made a nice jam?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 09:07:27 am »
What is jam setta?  I have citrus pectin - is this similar???

Can someone point me to the lemon butter recipe from tenina's site???
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 09:46:05 am »
Marmee I found a recipe of Teninas for lemon curd - guess that's lemon butter.

http://cravepublishing.com/steamovencooking/category/the-twelve-recipes-of-christmas/
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 11:36:07 am »

Tried the strawberry jam recipe from the book but very very runny and continued to 'cook' in 3 minute stints like it said and gave up after about 30 minutes - jam tastes nice but is runny like pouring sauce.  I used jam sugar with pectin.
[/quote]

I really recommend that you use jam sugar, Novello, rather than granulated sugar (even though that's what's listed in the recipe).  It's much more reliable.  Also, it always takes longer than the stated 30 minutes, and the 3 minute stints never seem to get the temperature back up high enough.  I use 10 minute stints.  I just gave my old recipe book to my Mum last week, so I no longer have my adapted time for the recipe  :(  I think that it was 45 minutes, though.

If all else fails, the Varoma temperature tip is a good one.  It speeds the process up by heating the sugar to a gelling point more quickly.  You lose a bit of the nutrition/flavour, though, I believe.

Good to see you on here, Novello - welcome.  Let me know how you get on with your jam making.  If all else fails, feel free to pop over for a jam making session with me one day.  (Always assuming that you're the Novello that I know from nearby  :D )
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 12:43:51 pm »
I've made rhubarb jam using a plum jam recipe in the EDC as a guide.  Then I made citrus marmalade using lemons and oranges I think, also EDC.  Then some lemon butter from the EDC.  And today some cumquat marmalade using the citrus m/lade recipe as above.

I use organic raw sugar in my jam making.  If I think it's required, I add a sachet of jamsetta - this is available near the sugars in most supermarkets and is a blue coloured sachet with fruit on the front.  It's pectin.

We only eat homemade jams.  My favourites are cumquat marmalade and rosella jam.  My whole family LOVE rosella jam and I can't grow enough to make enough to store for the year.  It's also a great gift.

This summer I'm going to collect enough raspberries to make jam.  They grow wild on the edges of the forest here.
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 01:38:41 pm »
Link for those wanting to know your recipe http://belindamoore.com/rosella-jam/
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 01:48:36 pm »
This summer I'm going to collect enough raspberries to make jam.  They grow wild on the edges of the forest here.

How wonderful.  :)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 03:29:08 am »
What is jam setta?  I have citrus pectin - is this similar???

Can someone point me to the lemon butter recipe from tenina's site???

Citrus pectin is the same thing as Jam Setta.
The lemon curd recipe is different from the original lemon butter recipe that Tenina posted.
I posted it under recipes here on Saturday so we don't lose it again!!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 10:38:23 am »
Love jam making.    Judydawn,  when you mentioned your Mum's tomato jam,I looked up my "trusty" little book called "Windfalls", to see what it said about tomato jam.    There is a recipe but not with   a ny cordial or such like.   Her recipe has tomatoes,apples ,and   lemons.   She also has one for Tomatoes and Rhubarb.  The author is Sue Ruchel,  and her recipes are simple     I have used it to make chutneys and they have been very good.   I've just notice a recipe for Hawthorne  berries , both jam and jelly.  Think I willhave a go in the T.M !

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 10:46:23 am »
Mum probably got her recipe from the Green & Gold cookbook - pretty sure that was the only recipe book she had plus a few clippings out of magazines and a few handwritten recipes given to her from relatives or friends.  Dad used to grow the best tomatoes and there was always a surplus, even after supplying family, friends and neighbours. The tomato seeds and raspberry cordial made it look like raspberry jam - certainly tasted like it. I miss my Dad's beautiful tomatoes - real tomatoes, not like those you buy in the shops.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 01:17:10 pm »
 I've just notice a recipe for Hawthorne  berries , both jam and jelly.  Think I willhave a go in the T.M !

There's lots of rows of those around your neck of the woods !!  Good to be able to do something useful with them.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 07:14:08 am »
judy dawn, tracked down a recipe for jam,  made with tomatoes.   I will give it to you as sent from a friend.     Would be easy to convert to T.M.
2 pounds of tomatoes
2 pounds of sugar
1 medium lemon
1 Tablsp. strawberry essence

Cook tomatoes with sugar and lemon until it reaches setting point.
Add strawberry essense and cook a few mins. longer.

I think I would give the tomatoes a good boil up before I added the sugar.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 07:40:57 am »
Thanks for that Chookie.   Would you put all of the lemon in or just the juice and zest?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 08:13:57 am »
Judydawn,            given the T.M and how easy it is to zap things I would probably zap the whole lemon before I added the tomatoes.   Enough juice should come out of the tomatoes as they cook to stop them sticking.    I'll have a go at the end of summer when tomatoes are cheap.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 11:07:02 pm »
JD, very popular here in Spain, have the recipe for you from my THX book. Made with the nice big green tomatoes!
750g green tomatoes
1 teaspoon lemon juice
500g sugar

Wash tomatoes and cut out the top stalky bit. Cut a cross on the bottom and place 30 seconds in boiling water to peel them.
Place in THX and program 4 seconds speed 4.
Add sugar and program 30 mins, Temp Varoma, speed 1. Place basket on top of jug, to allow it to reduce without spitting everywhere!

I also have a carrot jam in my book if anyone is interested?
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 11:13:13 pm »
Thanks Bron.  Post the carrot jam too please - that should be a nice, cheap one to make.