Author Topic: My visit to my daughter's for Christmas  (Read 4648 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
My visit to my daughter's for Christmas
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:39:01 pm »
I hauled my TMX along on my trip and exposed my daughter, SiL and a few of their friends to what it could do.
First I made them a batch of butter - salted with my favorite butter salt, Velvet de Guerande.
I prepared my favorite mushroom risotto for a family dinner, increasing the recipe to serve 6 generous servings.  (My grandson is a big young man with a very hearty appetite).  I found some wild-gathered local chanterelle (golden) mushrooms at an organic co-op market in San Francisco and they made the dish.  Wonderful "meaty" flavor, probably the best risotto I have made to date. 
And I made them nearly a liter of peanut butter - raw peanuts I roasted and processed a bit more than half to "creamy" and then added the rest to chop for chunky.  it was a hit. 
I would have done more but my daughter insisted on taking me out to dinner and lunches several times so there was little time to do anything else.
One couple seemed very interested in the idea that so many functions could be combined in one appliance.  I encouraged them to check out this forum as I think the enthusiasm here is "catching."

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: My visit to my daughter's for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:46:59 pm »
Welcome back home, Andie.  Sounds like you had fun showing off your TMX - the risotto sounds wonderful.

Hope you have a great New Year tonight.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:07:15 pm »
Sounds like you are having a lovely time Andi.  Happy New Year for tomorrow.  :D

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:34 pm »
Happy New Year to all you folks in OZ, a day ahead of me.   
I have little clocks in my dashboard set to various times so I now know what time it is for everyone else.
However I doubt I will be up to welcome the New Year.  Seem to need more sleep with this darn cold.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 11:04:53 pm »
Now why doesn't that surprise me andie, you can't keep a good cook down.  Holding your own demo and doing your bit for  Vorwerk  - they are very lucky to have people like you and I daresay it is only a matter of time before the machine takes off over there.  Here's hoping the New Year brings an end to your health problems and you can get back to being the very active person you are used to being.  :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:39:12 am »
Lovely andie and hope your feeling a bit better.... My brother was with us over Christmas and flew to new York for nye ... I also have an app with clocks around the world to keep up with local times for friends and family around the world... Def helps and great for new years  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:02:49 pm »
Good on you Andi. They will all want you to stay now or will have to buy a TM.

Did you fly or drive with tm

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 06:45:31 am »
Andi,  sounds like you had a great time showing off your TMX.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 01:47:56 am »
Good on you Andi. They will all want you to stay now or will have to buy a TM.

Did you fly or drive with tm

H :)

I drove.  The trip there took me just short of 6 hours.  The trip home a bit more than 7 hours because I stopped several times because of the cold symptoms, coughing, sneezing and etc. 
My Garmin GPS thought I could make the trip there in 5 1/2 hours and every time I made a stop it kept announcing "recalculating" till I finally turned it off until I got close to their house.   

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 04:37:00 am »
The GPS's are a bit of a mixed blessing, aren't they?  I could imagine that it would easily drive you nuts if it kept telling you it was recalculating all the time.

I have a great GPS story - not sure whether I should tell it here or not ..... OK, I will.

One night we ordered a pizza for delivery from our local pizza shop, about 1 km away - literally a 5 minute walk, just around the corner from home (on a very well known street in the locality).  It was getting later and later and the pizza wasn't arriving and, when it eventually did arrive (luke warm by this time), we asked the driver why it was so late and he said his GPS couldn't find us!  We couldn't believe it!  I've been wondering at the usefulness of GPS's ever since, but admit that they do have their place!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 05:35:52 am »
When we went up to the Barossa, we thought we'd go on the new Northern Freeway so ignored the GPS to head in another direction.  She kept telling us to turn right for many kms (to get over to the road she wanted us to take) and in the end DH said 'she is going to get peed off if you don't soon turn right'. Obviously I need to update my GPS as she seemed unaware of the existence of this faster way to the valley.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 07:27:06 am »
Andie your trip sounded like great fun. I do hope you are feeling better now.

Thank goodness our GPS doesn't say anything when it changes the route, it just does it. Our is about 3 years old so doesn't know all the new roads. I discovered about 8 months ago that I could put longitude and latitude in (I'm a bit slow when it comes to technology). It was so useful for travelling as we have a book callled 'Camps 6' which gives latitude and longitude for all the places you can pull off for lunch or the night. It gave us how many kms to go. Useful when you are at the end of a long day of driving.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/