Author Topic: Spelt Tortillas (with photos)  (Read 15909 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Spelt Tortillas (with photos)
« on: September 13, 2009, 06:58:16 am »

I thought I'd post my tortilla recipe here, as some may be interested in a non-wheat version... I always make my own tortillas - the bought ones are so tough, and full of additives and preservatives usually too.  (Except Mountain Bread, but they're not really tortillas - too thin.)  We eat these a lot for lunch, or for breakfast filled with scrambled eggs.  They're so quick to make - the first one's ready in minutes, and the kids can start eating as you cook them if they're 'starving'! 

1. Mix together for 5 secs, speed 6:
- 300g spelt flour (I use plain unbleached spelt flour mixed with up to a third freshly ground spelt.  If you use more than half wholemeal, they will be a bit crumbly.)
- 1 t sea salt
- 2 t baking powder (optional, but I think they're nicer with)
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO or butter

2. With Thermomix running on speed 6, add water in a slow stream, until dough forms a soft ball. Let it process on speed 6 for about 5 seconds more.  (It will bang around and get nice and stretchy.)
- approx. 1/2 cup water (may need more or less, depending on type of flour)

3. Poke dough with your finger - it shouldn't be overly sticky, but it should be nice and soft and stretchy (see picture) - if it's too hard, the tortillas will be thick and tough. (And if it's too sticky they'll be hard to roll.) Add more flour or water if you need to.

4. Heat up your pan - you can use an electric frypan, or a large iron skillet or non-stick frypan. It needs to be quite hot - between hot and medium hot. After you've cooked one you'll know whether it needs to be turned up or down. Don't put any oil in the pan.

5. While the pan's heating up, pinch off a ball of dough, about 1 inch or so in diameter. Squish it into the flour, coating both sides, then roll out on floured breadmat with rolling pin, flipping it over back and forth to keep it from sticking. (You'll use quite a bit of flour for rolling them out.) Don't worry if they're not pretty circles - rectangles are fine, all tastes the same. Roll it as thin as you can, only a couple of millimetres thick.

6. Dust it off a little if it's too floury, and place in hot, dry pan. While it starts to cook, begin the next one, reflouring the mat first... but keep an eye on the pan, turning the tortilla over once it starts to bubble. It should have little brown spots on it. It only takes a few seconds per side - if the heat's too low, they'll be hard and crunchy, so cook them hot and quick for nice soft ones. (I use a wooden spatula to turn them over, or just grab the edge with my fingers and flip them over.)

7. As the tortillas cook, put them on a dinner plate inside a plastic bag, and close it up after you put each one in. This keeps them soft and warm until you're ready to eat. (That is, if the kids don't eat them all as you make them!)

8. Spread with butter/dairy-free cream cheese/mayo/avocado, add fillings, roll up and enjoy!  :)

Filling ideas - mix and match:
refried beans
mexican beans
grated cheese/mozarella
chopped tomatos
avocado/guacamole
dairy-free cream cheese (http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2009/06/dairy-free-raw-cream-cheese.html)
sour cream (if you can have it)
homemade mayonnaise
shredded lettuce
thinly sliced red onion
shallots
sauteed onion and capsicum (pepper) strips
grated carrot
bbq chicken shredded and mixed with salsa sauce
beef cooked in crockpot, then shredded and mixed with salsa sauce
marinated beef or chicken strips (fajita style)
mexican rice/quinoa (http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2009/02/mexican-quinoa.html)
spicy lentils
leftovers!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:23:27 am by quirkycooking »
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
Re: Spelt Tortillas
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:39:28 am »
What a great recipe. We sometimes have friends for dinner with teenager (I have 2 and they have 2) - next time they come I am going to cook them this - its perfect.
Barbara

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:10:28 pm »
That's great - it's such an easy meal when you've got lots of people - just put all the fillings on the table and let them help themself.  My favourite guest dinner is homemade fajitas (NOT with packet mixes!! Yuk!)  I must post that recipe soon - so easy and delicious!

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 08:05:45 pm »
What a great idea -  a " help yourself" meal - easy on the cook!
I would love the fajita recipe.
I am expecting my "bimby" back from technical assitance some time next week and I have Burritos on my meal plan for Friday - I will give the recipe a try. I bought some spelt the other day in the natural product shop but did find it quite expensive - €3.95 for 500grams, but it is organic but still, compared to brown flour its quite a difference in price.
Barbara

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 11:09:25 pm »
have you ever come across a good GF recipe jo? i have some bookmarked but too scared to try them yet lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 01:44:23 am »
I did try a gluten free one when we were gluten free for a while... it was just a gf bread mix that you made quite thin and cooked like a crepe (spread thin batter in frypan) - not the same texture, but okay.  But my suggestion would be to use masa harina and make the traditional mexican corn tortillas - they're gluten free anyway!  My mum always makes them out of masa harina - they're a little more sticky to work with, so you have to roll them between two pieces of baking paper or gladwrap.  I'll get mum's recipe for you.  :)

(Masa harina is a fine cornmeal / flour that has been soaked with lime to make it more digestable.  You can buy it in some health food stores, or in international stores in the Mexican food section.)

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:09:49 am »
I made these a few weeks ago and they were great (thought I actually used bakers flour as we didn't have any spelt flour)!  Everyone loved them.  Thanks for the pics of the stages Jo, they helped so much.  Next time I will roll a little thinner than I did.  Kept them in a ziplock bag and they reheated really well.  We didn't have any left to freeze!! ;D
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 03:22:28 am »
Glad you liked them alioop!  I find that they're thinner if you make the dough wetter - makes it a bit sticky to work with, but I just roll each ball of dough in flour, then keep adding flour as I roll it out - it's easier to roll out and ends up thinner that way.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 11:18:08 pm »
thanks jo :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Spelt Tortillas (with photos)
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 12:05:02 am »
Good work Jo - they really do look great.  Gracias
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 04:31:11 am »
Thanks for the hints Jo  :)
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline Roxy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 09:56:28 am »
I just made these and had to say they were really fun.  Took us a bit to get the temp of the pan right but once we did no problems.  My 2 yo goes mad when I get the rolling pin out so she promptly joined me in making them. I used bakers flour instead and still were quite delicious.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 11:45:25 am »
Thanks for bumping this one Roxy - there are so many recipes on here now that you tend to forget some beauties like this. Perfect for summer.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 12:05:33 pm »
Ohh yummy, did you end up posting that fajitas recipe? will do a search ;)
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 12:07:35 pm »
Oops - forgot about that recipe!  I'll try and get it on there tonight or tomorrow!

Glad you liked it Roxy!  :)