Author Topic: a thermomix new recruit!  (Read 5829 times)

Offline astrogirl

• View Profile
a thermomix new recruit!
« on: July 01, 2010, 11:36:30 am »
hi all,

i am very excited   ;D  to join the world of thermomixers!  I am a mum of a 2.5 yr old little girl, work part time and live in the Dandenong ranges in Melbourne.  we are a vegetarian  household so i loved the idea of cooking fresh and minimising all the effort that gos into chopping and grating tonnes of veggies!

i was previously a person who hated cooking and never imagined myself spending money on a 'food gadget' let alone joining a food forum!  but the thermomix has transformed me into a person who really enjoys cooking and this has amazed all who know me!

i can see how wonderful the thermomix is even though i have only had mine a week.  i have had my share of disasters ( both my porridge and rissotto were crap) but i have had lots of successes too ( my pumpkin quiche was awesome)!

I look fwd to learning lots from all you experienced thermomixers and in particular would love any vegetarian recipe suggestions with kids in mind ( mine is fussy).

Thanking you all already for what i have already picked up from this wonderful forum.

Cheers,

Astrid

Offline kezza

• View Profile
Re: a thermomix new recruit!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 11:46:45 am »
Welcome astrogirl.  I haven't been on the forum very long myself, but once you get going it is a great source of information.  My children are no longer young, so I don't need to 'hide' vegies in my food anymore, but I am sure there are plenty of Mums out there who will be able to give you plenty of tips!!  Good luck :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:06:15 pm »
Great to see you enjoying your new purchase Astrid! Welcome to our great forum. Pumpkin quiche sounds delish. Did you convert a recipe or get it from one of the books?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 04:00:24 pm »
Welcom astrogirl. Glad to hear you have been using your TMX. Don't worry about the disasters - push on and try something else.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 12:35:03 am »
Welcome astrogirl, like kezza I too have only been a member of this forum for a very short time, but the wealth of knowledge gained is immeasureable.  TMX has been a part of my kitchen since last Sunday and I have used it constantly, through a few 'stuff ups', but a great time is being had by all.

Cheers

Robyn (johnro)  ; :D
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 01:23:53 am »
Hi astrogirl, nice you could join us.  We all have disasters in the early days but once we get to know our machine, adjust chopping times etc things go along smoothly.  You will learn how to turn savoury disasters into soup and desserts into ice-cream and not throw them into the bin. Someone recently said they threw their risotto in the bin but one of our forum members would have blitzed it, added more stock to get the required consistency and turned it into a gravy.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 02:26:51 am »
Too true Dawn and welcome astrogirl.  Yo will have fun. Like Robyn and the restof us the disasters are really not and if all fails there must be a dog somewhere. LOL

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:44:26 am »
Welcome astrogirl.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astrogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:55:43 am »
Lol re the dog comment!  haven't got one but have 2 always hungry and very spoilt cats!

The pumpkin quiche is from the tmx veggie book - it is very gourmet and very very easy - this was my first dish in the TMX and my husband thought i bought it from the Deli!! 

I am working my way through the EDC and the veggie book so that i can make adjustments and add notes.  have never been so into cooking - seems strange to suddenly take it up after never thinking myself capable in the kitchen at all!

am off to do some custard...yum  :P

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 02:48:40 am »
 Aatrogirl - choc custard adaptation is delicious - I ended up making it 3 times in a 24hr period. DD made hollandaise sauce this morn, the usual problems that this sauce usually brings were nonexistent. Enjoy your TMX experiences. Cheers  ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:50:18 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline astrogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 05:06:00 am »
thanks johnro

was wondering what that one was like as i am a choc girl rather than a lemon myself.  will do tonight - my custard was perfect the other night but a bit too lemony - i must have used a massive lemon for the zest!   so far i have made amendments to the porridge, the risotto and the minestrone pasta soup and with the small adjustments i made all the dishes have come out perfect.  yay! 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 06:49:45 am »
Astrogirl try your custard like this, no lemon zest and at the end fold about 50g of Lindt chocolate through, just to melt. Depending on the type of chocolate you use you can have orange custard, custard with little almond chips in etc.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 11:23:43 am »
Welcome astrogirl.  Sounds like you are having a great time - good to see you making notes about tweaks.  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.