Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4502146 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #1515 on: January 05, 2012, 09:36:26 pm »
Our home internet is still not working. I have  a telstra 3g in my ipad at the moment, it works well. I take my ipad shopping with me & it was great yesterday when I needed to check a recipe for ingredients. For some reason it doesnt  work in our living area which is by the kitchen but works perfectly next to TM.

I am thinking of buying the 12g and down sizing our home package, its great to have it whereever you are.

Anyone know whether it works overseas?

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: January 05, 2012, 10:56:33 pm »
Just bought ice cream maker, yay, didnt tell dh the price, got the grunt to go ahead, yay. Promised him i woukd never buy ice cream again, so will need loads of recipes.

Could i store it on our outisde kitchen bench, the area has 2 sides open, 2 sides house.

Very excited

Now to go to the good guys & buy the vacum sealer for my meat order.

See if i can get the boys out, might have to wait until wednesday

Yay happy dance :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: January 06, 2012, 01:50:12 am »
Hally it will only work overseas if you have the roaming activated through Telstra, but be careful as any usage is charged at extremely high rates and in lieu of you being able to charge you it appears that they reduce the equivalent amount in GB - Telstra think this is how my entire 12GB was used so quickly. I travel internationally a lot for work and am normally able to get wifi access in most areas - either free or paid through the hotel (ridiculous rates but sometimes necessary).

If you are going to spend a lot of time in a particular place overseas you can also look at purchasing a local micro sim - Europe is much easier to do than the US with this method.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: January 06, 2012, 02:06:24 am »
I took my iPad for a trip down the Mekong and I was able to use wi fi for free everywhere. Don't even think about using the 3G overseas unless you have unlimited funds. My daughter took hers to Europe last year and same thing. FREE wi fi EVERYWHERE. Australians are royally ripped off in their own country.

Gretch
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: January 06, 2012, 03:42:28 am »
KITCHENWARE DIRECT has Cuisinart Ice Cream, Yoghurt & Sorbet Maker Stainless Brushed 2 litres $119 (saving 25% it says)  and it also comes in red for the same price (but a saving of 30% - obviously red is a more expensive colour!! ???)

Also I think someone has already mentioned the compressor model Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker with Compressor 1.5L
Price: $379.00
  down from $540

Free shipping!  This is part of their sale so take a quick look

http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/2012-Stocktake-Sale/Cuisinart-Appliances-On-Sale

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:40 am »
My shopping was boring. Medication for all the sick people in the family and 2 pair of cheap, $19.95 house 3/4 trousers.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: January 06, 2012, 05:05:36 am »
Just come home from Kambos. 50% off housewares  :D 2 x Scanpan chopping boards ( the thin lightweight ones), a silicone spoon/spatula, ice cream scoop and olive oil sprayer. Happy Jan  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:47:54 am by Very Happy Jan »
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: January 06, 2012, 05:08:06 am »
Ooh Jan sounds like you got yourselves some bargains ;D

Kambos, havent heard of them

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: January 06, 2012, 05:08:57 am »
Wonder, thanks for the info

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: January 06, 2012, 05:49:32 am »
Ooh they are just down the road. Hee Hee.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #1525 on: January 06, 2012, 06:43:12 am »
Thanks so much for all the help guys.

Yes, Andie I had heard a rumour of the iPad3. I would love it if it was a phone, but not sure I'd want to carry such a large phone around!

I'm thinking Kindle, especially if I can download books for free in Oz. The only issue is that Amazon don't have the Australian magazines etc that you can get through the iPad. But, then again, the Kindle is 1 third of the price!

You'll love your ice-cream maker Hally. I have the ice cream bowl for my Kitchen Aide and I love making ice cream now. Make the custard in the TMX, of course. I have Rum and Raisin in the freezer ATM and can't wait to dig in to it!

Hope everyone in the family is feeling better soon cookie.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: January 06, 2012, 06:53:53 am »
Gertbysea, surprisingly the best places for free wifi that we have found have been Vietnam and Mongolia! London and Australia are hopeless and depending on where you are in the US it's a bit hit and miss. For convince while travelling around the US I'm going to get a micro sim to use while I'm there this time, a little bit of a fuss but happy for this trip.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1527 on: January 06, 2012, 07:04:23 am »
To all the TMX forum friends in Sydney, what is a good (preferably warehouse or discount) kitchenware shop where I can buy bits and pieces for the kitchen (eg bakeware etc)?

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: January 06, 2012, 08:28:33 am »
I don't live in Sydney courton but I know Victorias Basement carry a large range of kitchen ware.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: January 06, 2012, 10:16:15 am »
Hi Courton where abouts in Sydney are you? I am in Castle Hill. Victorias Basment is good