Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4479136 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #1290 on: December 03, 2011, 12:25:49 am »
 ;D I bought 2 new computers yesterday for the kids.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 03, 2011, 04:57:37 am »
Lucky kids Robyn! Christmas pressies?
I desperately need to update mine.....it's making very scary noises, so I must remember to back up EVERYTHING pronto!

Have been good  ;D no shopping to report.....but in saying that, I will be collecting the expressi machine at Aldi that's on hold  :D
I figure I can return it if I'm not happy, and the cost of their capsules is a 1/3rd of what I'm currently paying for the pods!.....plus....I have to pay expensive postage, plus I have to wait for them to arrive from Italy, then NSW.......fingers crossed it will be a comparative substitute.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 03, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »
Saw this book at a preserving class that I went to a few weeks ago. Ordered it from the Book Depository and it arrived today. Beautiful book full of pics, recipes & useful stuff including natural storage and preservatives, freezing, drying and info on different methods of preservation such as bottling, preserving in oil, salting, curing, smoking and (ooohhh can't wait to try this) beer & wine making  ;D.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:48:29 pm by djinni373 »
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 04, 2011, 07:25:40 am »
I went to another sourdough class today. It was Christmas baking and I bought yet another bread tin. A small one with high sides this time.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 05, 2011, 02:29:02 am »
 :) Hally, i gave them to the kids early.

I got a bargain, so i bought 2 computers instead of 1.

Robyn

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 05, 2011, 04:24:11 am »
I don't get time to shop as I work full time and all the decent shops are 60kms from home. So today I bought the new Donna Hay mag...... So many nice things I want to try. And on the last page was a full ad on Thermomix. My next shopping adventure will ber online at an organics store. Not sure what I need to buy as yet, apart from Rapadura and Spelt Flour. Any ideas????
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #1296 on: December 05, 2011, 04:31:37 pm »
I had planned on going out to do some shopping for gifts today but the present temp is 17° F (-8.3C.) and the wind is blowing enough to make the wind chill too uncomfortable for the places I want to shop (not in the mall).   And this cold snap is supposed to continue for a few more days, the "highs" not reached until about 2:00 p.m. and then immediately cooling again.

So I am going back to online shopping and my nearest and dearest are going to get Amazon gift cards (which they like anyway) other than the gifts I had already purchased some time ago. 

My new toaster is due to arrive today and I will post a photo after I have given it a test run.

Last week a friend got a Nook ereader, had it in her purse yesterday at church and when she got home it was gone.  She thinks someone nicked it during their "coffee gathering" after the service as that was the only time her purse was not on her arm.  She had her wallet in her hand as she was giving a cash donation for "Toys for Tots" at the time. 
Can you imagine, someone stealing at a church. 
She immediately contacted the hot line and had the Nook disables so it won't be of any use to the thief.  And as she paid for the insurance, she is getting a new one immediately. 

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 05, 2011, 06:33:18 pm »
Blimey Andie that is cold.A good idea doing your shopping on line and keeping youself inside keeping warm.
Sorry to hear about the thief in the church.Thank goodness your friend had insurance.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 05, 2011, 06:47:43 pm »
It is so cold over there, Andie, I don't envy you at all, and the wind chill will make it so much worse.  I guess you can look on the bright side - at least it's not raining as well!

I was planning on getting gift vouchers for friends and family for Xmas and hadn't thought of Amazon!!!  Thanks for mentioning it.

I can't believe that someone stole something at church, that is so low, I hope the culprit gets caught.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 05, 2011, 10:05:54 pm »
It's almost 2 p.m. and it has "warmed up" to 51° F.  Sweater weather for sure and with the wind, a good wind barrier coat for outside.

The toaster arrives and has had its first test.

It's pretty.

I toasted a couple of slices of stollen in it, probably not a good test because of the sugar in the bread.  Somewhat uneven.
First in:

nearly done

Second piece set at higher setting (longer toasting).

Later tests will be with English muffins, regular white bread, long slice of sourdough bread and etc.

The sides and ends get HOT.  This is not a good toaster for people with small children who will be near the toaster.

I'm so used to my Breville, that has cool sides and ends, that when I put my hand on the end where the lowering button is located, I was unpleasantly surprised to find it was too hot to leave my hand on it for long. 
I plan on writing a review and mentioning this fact, which I think really lowers the satisfaction score of this toaster.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 05, 2011, 10:21:47 pm »
Andie, that toaster actually sounds dangerous!  It's a bit of a worry and may be an idea to query the safety guidlines with your appropriate authorities.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 05, 2011, 11:24:13 pm »
Andie, that toaster actually sounds dangerous!  It's a bit of a worry and may be an idea to query the safety guidlines with your appropriate authorities.

I have had this toaster for some time and is is absolutely wonderful. I also toasts just one side at a time if you like and the sides fall forward to clean. It is absolutely the best toaster I have ever owned so I also bought another for a Christmas gift for my daughter. Hope she doesn't read this!

I am sure Andi meant the weather had warmed to 51 degrees Fahrenheit not  Celsius  and not  the toaster!  ;D ;D
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 06, 2011, 03:11:37 am »
I am no good at putting up photos, up links I can do!

My boys are quite into the Lego Ninjago.  (For those that don't know - think Lego Ninja style):
http://uglyduck-bricklink.blogspot.com/2010/12/lego-ninjago-minifigure-shots.html

Today I popped into a new Robin's Kitchen store, and got these:

Ninjabread cookie Cutters:
http://store.robinskitchen.com.au/fred-ninjabread-men.html

Gingerdead Men
http://store.robinskitchen.com.au/free-gingerdead-men.html

Looks like I am going to be baking cookies all school holidays!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 06, 2011, 05:09:49 am »

The next time I toast something, I'm going to check the external temperature with my infrared thermometer to see the true surface temp. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 06, 2011, 05:23:41 am »
Andie I do like your toaster, but not the fact that it gets so hot.

Amanda I really like the lego Ninjas. They are so cute.  Last year DD had a friend come round who was feeling very down. They went off into DD's side of the house (she has her room, bathroom and a sitting room as one side of the house). A few hours later I heard loud laughter. Later DD told us her friend had seen her old lego in a corner of her walk in robe and they had sat down and built things. At 30 years of age.  :D  Obviously the magic of lego ever wears off. While they were 'building' her girlfriend had talked lots and said she felt so much better for it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/