Author Topic: Chicken liver and pistachio pate  (Read 43061 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken liver and pistachio pate
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 09:55:31 am »
The joys of pregnancy. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 11:02:50 am »
Not long to go now Caroline. Soon you will be able to munch on goodies of all description again!  ;)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 11:12:54 am »
Yes, you're right Chelsea.  I think I'd better just hang onto my self discipline for a bit longer rather than risk it, however much it seems OTT to me. 

I did a quick search to see why all the info is so hyper about liver, and apparently they seriously doubt that a baby can safely tolerate any animal based vitamin A  :(  It's very tempting to ignore the advice, as surely plenty of mothers used to eat liver without knowing there was a problem, and produced perfectly healthy babies.  Plus my body really fancies some liver, and I generally listen to my body first and foremost, as I think it knows what it's doing. 

But perhaps it's actually the iron that it wants (could explain the very low energy levels) and I should just look for another source.  Like you say, better to resist the temptation as it's only a few more weeks to go.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 11:18:42 am »
I'm a spoil sport I know Caroline. My opinon is probably a little skewed because my job is teaching children with special needs and supporting their families.  Hang in there and look for alternative sources to ease those cravings!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 12:36:26 pm »
Thanks for this terrific recipe   Made some up as gifts for Xmas.   Also adapted it to the duck livers that i bought,   Added orange rind, port and hazelnuts.   Good combination.   Used your method and was successful ,thanks again Gertbysea.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 12:13:24 am »
Thanks for this terrific recipe   Made some up as gifts for Xmas.   Also adapted it to the duck livers that i bought,   Added orange rind, port and hazelnuts.   Good combination.   Used your method and was successful ,thanks again Gertbysea.

Thanks or that. Made a batch yesterday and got 5 small rounds plus two large party sized out of 700gms fof livers. DH even licked the bowl clean. No mean feat! Delicious with Grand Marnier and a bit of orange rind.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 01:51:01 am »
I know this is an "old topic" by now but Gertbysea was one of the first people I met on this forum, :-*  so when it came time to blog about Chicken Liver Pate, I just couldn't do it without giving her all the credit.  :-* :-*

The recipe went up on my blog today -- a featured post by "guest blogger" Gretchen!

You can see photos of "Gretchen's Party Pate" right here:
http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2010/6766/liver-pate-thermomix-recipe.html

Cheers everyone...
 ;)
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 02:39:05 pm »
ROFL at the apron Gretchen :D :D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 11:38:10 pm »
Good work Gerty - hero  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 01:39:03 am »
Too funny. That Helene is a hoot. Pity she cropped the photo. You should have seen the rest of it! :-)) :-))

Gretchen

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 02:08:44 am »
Gert,  this is one of my favorite recipes from the Forum.   Thank again.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 02:26:34 am »
Unfortunately it is one of mine too. Have you seen Helene's recipe for creton? I am going to have to try it too.

Thanks chookie.

Gretchen

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 02:02:53 pm »
Soooo delish!  This makes heaps so froze a few serves thanks to previous suggestions.  Was a bit dubious about freezing the pate :-)) - but you wouldn't even know the difference once thawed.  New fave recipe to have for friends when the pop over  ;D
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline Miranda

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 02:46:02 am »
Great recipe, Gretchen.

I love pate and the thermomix pate is fantastic, probably because it cooks evenly at a low temperature and the smoothness of course.

One tip is to soak the livers in milk for a couple of hours or over night.  This takes away some of the bitterness that livers can have.

Variations I have include juniper berries, anchovies, the orange zest and some orange juice.

You can also substitute bread crumbs that have been lightly soaked in milk for a lot of the butter. 
Not nearly as sinfully tasty but still very nice and less guilty.  [Also dogs adore this if you need to brighten up their dinner, or disguise tablets.]  This idea comes from the 1970s Cuisine Minceur times when things were nouvelle.  I'll see if I can hunt the book, Cuisine of the Sun down, It's here somewhere.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 01:55:46 am »
This sounds really wonderful!....BUT.....although I love eating pate, I am still working up the courage and stomach to handle and look at the chicken livers 
You would not believe how long it took me to actually handle a whole chicken for roasting  :P
.........EAT CAKE!