Author Topic: Newbie catering for food allergies  (Read 6394 times)

Offline lucjar

• View Profile
Newbie catering for food allergies
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:15:22 am »
Hi Everyone, I am finally getting my Thermomix just after Christmas.  I am so excited!  I have a little boy who has multiple food and environmental allergies - in particular to Dairy and Eggs.  He is also allergic to wheat, gluten, beef, soy, and cashews.  He is sensitive to sals and amines, mould, cats and cold water.  Needless to say, he makes our lives interesting!!!  I'm hoping the Thermomix will make our lives a little bit easier.  I look forward to learning from everyone elses experience and knowledge.
Kind Regards, Leonie

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie catering for food allergies
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:53:05 am »
Welcome Leonie. Your poor son. I'm sure the Thermomix will help you with his problems.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 11:59:22 am »
Wow...you must get a headache just thinking about making food for your little guy :( You should chat to Aline (monkeymadness) her son has issues with dairy eggs and nuts too. She isn't on here a lot but I will let her know you have joined and maybe the two of you can share some tips  :-*
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 12:31:44 pm »
Hi lucjar, welcome.  You sound like you have real problems at meal times  - would be nice if you can get some advice from other Mums with some or all of your issues. Hope the TMX can be helpful in this regard too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 06:18:05 am »
Welcome lucjar - hope we can help - there is a Failsafe blog  http://failsafethermomix.blogspot.com/

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline lucjar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 10:28:38 pm »
Thank you to everyone who replied.  Aidan's allergies are extensive but I feel like I've got them under control (within reason) but it was definately panic stations when he first started reacting at 5 months of age.  I look forward to sharing with and learning from other parents and I'll be checking out the failsafe forums....Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

Offline monkeymadness

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 01:36:08 am »
hi leonie -

wow that's a lot of food to avoid. he's sensitive to cold water too. what happens?!
my boy is allergic to dairy, eggs, cashews & pistachios, sesame seeds plus the ubiquitous grass/dust/cats/dogs (can't remember if there was mould there too). ever feel like you're in the kitchen all day?! ;) the tmx def makes it easier.

be sure to post in the special diets section so we can share recipes :)

P.S. can he have frozen fruit? my fave snack for the kids at the mo is fruit, which has been chopped up and frozen, whizzed up in the tmx with a little ricemilk or juice. it makes ice cream :)

another good one is chocolate alternative but i substitute the cashews with hazelnuts.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:38:28 am by monkeymadness »
Aline
Mum to 3 hungry little monkeys

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 03:59:59 am »
Hi Leonie!  Welcome!  ;D  You must be excited to be getting a Thermomix - it will help you so much with cooking from scratch.  We avoid dairy, wheat, sugar and soy, and additives & preservatives as much as possible... dust and mould are a problem too, but mostly when we've been slack with the dairy!  We got a bit slack at Christmas and had some butter, and I had some cream on my pecan pie, and now the hayfever's back, so we're trying to be good again.  I have a food blog that has lots of allergy-friendly Thermomix recipes you may find helpful: www.quirkycooking.blogspot.com.  See ya! Jo  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline lucjar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 02:27:00 pm »
Hi All,
Aidan's allergy to cold water was discovered after he spend a couple of minutes running through the sprinkler....he came out if massive welts/hives all over his body.  I did the usual checks with the neighbours about their use of chemicals etc but everything was normal.  After a couple of more episodes I was willing to admit it was the water and the Paed confirmed it and just brushed it off. 

Our Paed Allergist however said that if Aidan doesn't grow out of it he has be careful about swimming etc.  He told me that if Aidan is running around with his mates and then decides to jump into the sea or a pool to cool down, his blood pressure could drop so suddenly that his heart stops.....talk about freak me out!  After the last allergist visit in inquired about a cough Aidan seemed to develop while eating homemade slushies.....turns out its the same allergy and it could cause his throat to constrict.  But strangely enough he can lick iceblocks etc with no dramas....he is definately a challenge  ;)

Thank you monkeymaddness for your hints and tips...I will be trying them!

Its nice to know that I'm not alone in the health struggle and look forward to sharing recipes and successes with all of you!

Cheers, Leonie

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 03:31:50 pm »
Welcome Lucjar. You little man certainly poses some challenges for you but you are not alone on this forum.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 12:46:10 am »
Wselcome. I hope that your new TM helps you out and makes life a little easier in the kitchen.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 11:28:10 am »
Welcome to the forum. I can only give you hope that he may grow out of many of his allergies.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 01:21:13 pm »
Hi Leonie and welcome. I know sort of what you go through with the cold water allergy as my girlfriend suffers from the same thing, she also suffers if she gets too cold in general. She has run home from the park after playing with my kids to put on layers of clothes and sit in front of the heater with blankets around her!! It's a great step for you to feel in control though  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Lexi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 03:28:40 am »
Hi welcome, I'm a newbie here too.  My kids too are chemically and food sensitive too.  They are so sensitive to everything that we even learnt water is not always just water.  :(
Mum to 2 preschoolers and a mobile baby, SA