Author Topic: Sour Dough starter still alive after 11 weeks .  (Read 8481 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Sour Dough starter still alive after 11 weeks .
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:12:29 am »
When we left for our holiday I expected my Sour Dough started to be dead and very smelly when I returned.  I fed it just before we left and following Dan Lepard's advice took several tablespoon blobs out and froze them. Yesterday I looked in the jar that I had left in the fridge and it smelt nice and yeasty,  although it had a mould growing on top.  I tipped this off and poured the liquid that was under the mould off also.  I then took a heaped tablespoon of the starter out and put it into a clean dish and fed it.  This morning it was covered in bubbles and was working as it should.  I fed it again today,  and now have a new starter but still the same incredible flavor.
The reason that I am posting this is that there is a lot of mystique/rot talked about sour dough.  Such as feeding it every day and throwing out half the culture if you can't use it.   Hope this will encourage more people to have a go as the bread is different and for those who like it ,  nothing better.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Re: Sour Dough starter still alive after 11 weeks .
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 08:18:56 am »
Thanks for this advise Chookie.  I'm so glad your back as I love all the shared info that you send us.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:27:58 am »
That's great - I must admit to some trepidation at the thought of using sourdough because of all that 'hype', this just might make me revise my views on sourdough as I really prefer sourdough bread.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:46:50 am »
That is fantastic news Chookie. I will live in hope that mine stays alive when we go away for 8 weeks soon.
Just one question as I haven't used sourdough in this cooler weather. Does it take a lot longer to rise please?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Shiraz49

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:15:00 pm »
Thanks Chookie. Good to know. Would like to learn more about sourdough. Not sure where to start. I don't like to waste ingredients and thought this would happen if I had to feed it every day. Is there a thread on here that I can read to help me get started or are you going to be running classes any time soon. ;)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:18:46 pm »
I, too, could be interested in such a class if it were to happen.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:34:08 pm »
Sour Dough Classes ?  Thinking about it.  Have been asked  to do a bread making class to raise money for Cancer.  Will be hands on and part TMX and part hand kneading.  Sour Dough class would be for Forum members only.  Have been asked to do Sour Dough class by TMX but would rather do one for Forum members.  Keep you posted.

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:07:24 pm »
Good you saved your starter. I have different starters and  sometimes i have let them untouched for 2-3 months and tehn revived them just by adding flour and water.  A bit of mold happens sometimes too then i take out the green parts and shift the rest over to a new glass.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 09:26:10 am »
Yes bluesed,  that is just what I did.  Re - bottled it today and is back in the fridge. Question,  why do you have different starters?   I was so pleased that this culture survived as if is very similar to the San francisco sour dough that is so popular/famous. While OS I ate some Sour Dough that had sultanas and fennel seeds added,  it was served with pasta and was very nice.   This will be my next loaf.

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 01:39:38 pm »
I have different starters cause they have different cultures depending on where they are made and from what ingredients are used. Basically i have one for dark rye bread which is made with rye and another from wheat. I would like to try the San Fransico starter as it supposed to have some bacteria's that only exists in San Fransisco. Anyway the darkrye sourdough can also be used for bread without gluten.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 11:53:55 pm »
Bluesed, sounds like you are really into the sour dough.    I know you are supposed to use rye starter for rye bread but I use the same starter for all my sour dough even the rye. 

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 09:44:19 am »
Cookie,  I have just been looking at a cooking site 'Chocolate and Zucchini".     the author discusses dehydrating sour dough culture.   You might be interested,  as insurance,  before you go away.  I have frozen some of mine,  but don't know how successful this is as I haven't tried to revive it yet.  I followed Dan Lepard's method.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 11:09:30 am »
Glad you made it home safe chooky!  Loved reading of your travels.  ;D

I will admit to being lazy at times and putting my starter in the fridge and forgetting about it for weeks on end but it always comes good when I take it out to use it though!  Glad yours is still doing well!  :)

*and just quietly I am jealous as I'd love one of your sourdough classes...when are you visiting Qld?  ;)*
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 12:13:11 pm »
Yoke advises you to dehydrate your sourdough,  as a precaution should anything happen ;)

It's nice to have you home again Chookie  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 02:13:35 pm »

It's nice to have you home again Chookie  :)

yeah, I agree. those countries just did not know that a VIP was walking amongst them
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand