Author Topic: Scrummy lemon melt cookies  (Read 31186 times)

Offline debetha

• View Profile
Scrummy lemon melt cookies
« on: May 09, 2011, 02:18:23 pm »
Just made these, my goodness, heaven in a biscuit! Adapted from Evelyn Rose's Orange Crisps recipe. My first recipe posting ...

150g SR flour
50g +20 g sugar
rind 1 lemon (peeled)
125g butter cut into 2cm chunks

Put sugar into TMX, blitz to make caster sugar. Remove 20g sugar, then add peeled lemon rind and blitz again. add flour. Add butter chunks and mix using the  :: setting until a dough is formed that can be formed into a ball.
Pinch off pieces the size of a small walnut, and roll into little balls. Place 5cm apart on an ungreased baking tray. Take a large fork, dip into cold water and then press down gently into the balls to make biscuits approx 1cm thick.
Bake for 15 mins at 170C until pale gold. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with caster sugar.

Put on the kettle, make a cuppa and enjoy  :)

The original recipe uses orange rind, might have to try that too some time but have so many lemons to use at the moment. Can hardly call them healthy but have mothers group at my place tomorrow and don't seem as bad when they are to be shared amongst a crowd  :D

members' comments

CP - Very nice, light and crunchy with a very slight lemon flavour. Only made 14 biccies, but oh well...will have to show some restraint. Oh and good for those days when you run out eggs.

Meagan - These were delish and got lovely comments from Playgroup. I did alter the recipe process a little. If you want a finer zest mill the sugar and flour together once you have removed the 20g sugar. Also I blended all the ingredients together on spd 5 for a few secs before kneading. Thanks for the recipe debetha.

cookie - I've made these twice now (once in a hurry for unexpected visitors) and love them.

dingdonny - These have become a family favourite, I made lemon first couple of batches and now I do orange and the general opinion is that orange are slightly more yum. Thanks for this fantastic easy recipe. My wife love me cooking all of these great things.

Coops - These were popular at my house also and am about to make another batch right now. I don't know why these don't get more of a raving, they really are lovely.

Katya - I only used half the dough and froze the rest.   They were wonderful... very moorish.

dede - They must be ok because there aren't many left. Thanks for the recipe. Will definitely be making again.

johnro - Thank you Deb for this scrumpy cookie - will be on the make again list in this house!!!!
I used lemon from our tree, removed the ski in with veg peeler but found that the skin was quite dry so added juice of 1/2 lemon so that the dough could combine - will continue to do this when our lemons are used!

Lynnie - Tried these yesterday, very yummy.

Vivaroo - So quick, easy & yummy, glad to finally have tried it out.  I did lemon and then orange and both are good, might mix it up next time, a little ginger and macadamia might be good to add as well.

Uni - super easy and super yummy.  Next time i will try some lemon curd yum. Thanks.

CC - Oh boy are they good. Mine only took ten minutes to cook. Made 24 cookies. I used an orange rind that I took off with my microplane.

JD - So quick and they are delicious little morsels.  I made 30 smaller biscuits but still had to cook them 15 minutes at 170oC.

Delightful Den - I just made these as a Valentines Day treat for my lovely DW.  They smell and look great. I can't wait for them to cool enough to eat one.

cookie - I have just taken these out of the oven. They are ever so easy.

obbie - I did this but changed it around and added passionfruit.

Kimmyh - they are easy and yummy. Had to make them a second time to get them perfect. Thank you for a yummy scrummy bickie.

ES -  I doubled the recipe and used the zest of one orange. My butter was straight from the fridge, so I mixed on speed 5 for 10 seconds first.  It made 3.5 dozen. DH says that they are nice and butter and gives them the thumbs up.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:49:30 pm by judydawn »
deb

loving my tmx!

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
Re: Scrummy lemon melt cookies
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 02:59:35 pm »
That's a great effort for your first recipe - the biscuits sound delicious.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:10:31 pm »
Nice Deb I am on baking fir Playgroup tomorrow so will whip these up too :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Shiraz49

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:21:27 pm »
Sounds lovely. Lucky you with all those lemons. We have several lemon trees but not a ripe lemon in sight. Isn't it always the way. I really want to make these so will try with orange or use the 1 lime that is large enough. Thanks for posting.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:55:58 am »
thank you debetha. I was going to make some other biscuits but just saw yours before I started. Very nice, light and crunchy with a very slight lemon flavour. Only made 14 biccies, but oh well...will have to show some restraint  :D oh, and good for those days when you run out eggs.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 07:18:43 am »
Thankyou, these sound lovely.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 01:37:29 pm »
I can't wait to try these. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 04:08:05 pm »
These were delish and got lovely comments from Playgroup. I did alter the recipe process a little. If you want a finer zest mill the sugar and flour together once you have removed the 20g sugar. Also I blended all the ingredients together on spd 5 for a few secs before kneading. Thanks for the recipe debetha.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 05:45:56 am »
I've made these twice now (once in a hurry for unexpected visitors) and love them.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 03:00:01 am »
Now I'm having less trouble posting here's a photo.

Offline dingdonny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 04:23:13 am »
These have become a family favourite, I made lemon first couple of batches and now I do orange and the general opinion is that orange are slightly more yum.
The grandkids demolish them.
My daughter told Jackson the 8 year old grandson that they were going to grandmas for afternoon tea and he said "Great ,Grandma has the best junk food ever". A compliment of course.
Thanks for this fantastic easy recipe. My wife love me cooking all of these great things.

Offline Coops

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:35:05 pm »
These were popular at my house also, and am about to make another batch right now for my bible study ladies who will be coming around this morning :) I don't know why these don't get more of a raving, they really are lovely.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:59:18 pm »
Forgot to mention I made these the other week to serve with my Kisel.   I only used half the dough and froze the rest.   They were wonderful... very moorish.

I forgot about the frozen dough until just now - it's too late to do anything about it tonight but I hope I remember in the morning :D

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 12:23:04 am »
I also made these on Sunday. They must be ok cause there isn't many left. Thanks for the recipe. Will Definitly be making again.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 04:23:01 am »
Thank you Deb for this scrumpy cookie - will be on the make again list in this house!!!!
I used lemon from our tree, removed the ski in with veg peeler but found that the skin was quite dry so added juice of 1/2 lemon so that the dough could combine - will continue to do this when our lemons are used!

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:03:43 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.