Author Topic: Sophisticated Banana Cake  (Read 11880 times)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Sophisticated Banana Cake
« on: August 05, 2013, 04:35:11 am »
I've called it a sophisticated cake because, it is a little bit more than just a cake...Could be used as a cake to serve for tea or a cake for dessert. Or a cake for any time of day. You decide. Oh and I must mention that the smell of the cardamom makes the house smell just divine!

Inspiration for this recipe is from the Kitchen Heals Soul blog (I was inspired by their styling too). I've tweaked it quite a bit and made it super simple using the TMX.

Ingredients:
3-4 manky (overripe) bananas
100g butter or marg
170g plain flour
2tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp ground cardamom (I like 3)
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
200g brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup natural yoghurt

Method:

1)   Preheat the oven to 175oC and grease your preferred pans (I like little bread pans).

2)   If you need to ground your spices, do that now. Then put them aside.

3)   Break your bananas into 3-4cm lengths and put into a microwave safe container. Cook on high for 3 minutes or so until the bananas are visibly mushy (your kitchen should smell very banana-ry right about now).

4)   Put the steaming basket into the TMX. Put the cooked bananas in the steaming basket. Using a silicone spatula or fork, mash the bananas so that the smelly juice strains into the TMX bowl. When you've got most of the juice out of the bananas, put the banana pulp back into your microwaveable container and set it aside.

5)   You should now have banana juice in the bottom of your TMX bowl. Cook the juice for 3min/VaromaTemp/Speed1.5 or until the juice has reduced by about half.

6)   Put the bananas back into the TMX bowl and add all of the other ingredients.

7)   Wizz all the ingredients for 15-20 seconds/Speed5

8)   Pour into your chosen pans and cook for 20-30 minutes (a large loaf may need 35 minutes, small muffins may need 20).

9)   Allow to cool if you can wait that long!

members' comments

Thermesa - Made this - quite delicious. Made it again using baking powder instead of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) - not so good, a rubbery mess like GiloKez below.

Gert -  I added a bit less sugar, put some mace in, 3 tsp at least of cardamom. DH, who is not fond of banana cake, so he says,   though I have never made one before  declared it delicious. It is a winner. Thanks Jamberie. Yes my house smells great. I put half in the freezer. It came out yesterday and DH ate the lot! Said is was just as nice as fresh.

GiloKez - I just made this and it has turned out to be a huge rubber mess. Sad what did I do wrong I followed it exact.... Dam it smells good though.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:12:05 am by judydawn »
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Sophisticated Banana Cake
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 04:52:47 am »
looks great
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:32:15 am »
I like the addition of cardamom to your recipe Jamberie. ;D Must try this when I get back home.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:33:29 am »
Jam,can imagine the smell of the house. Will give it a go when I next have manky bananas
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:04:32 pm by Bedlam »
Denise

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:50:15 am »
Sounds Yummy. I am a bit of a cardamon fan too!

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 01:00:13 pm »
Made this today and quite delicious.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Sophisticated Banana Cake
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 11:43:37 pm »
I'm so pleased to hear you liked this one :) no one else had posted so I thought they didn't like it! It's also on my list for today mmmm, the smell is almost as good as the taste!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 07:27:19 am »
Unfortunately most of it went to the school fete. I bought a bag of almost manky bananas from IGA this weekend for 99c.  I didn't get much juice out of them but perhaps a quick freeze will break down the cell walls

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Sophisticated Banana Cake
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 07:34:32 am »
I didn't get much juice out of my bananas this time either. I added a fresh one and that didn't do too much :-\

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:52:39 am »
I missed this one. I love the description of manky bananas. I know exactly what you mean though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 11:06:44 am »
Translated baking soda to be baking powder not bicarbonate soda today (not sure what I used on the weekend). Not a success but not a mistake I will make again. Quite a stodgy pudding consistently but yummy still. Must remember to give it a different name when I serve it up.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 05:29:53 am »
Oh no Thermesa! I hate mixing up ingredients!
Maybe Banana Brownie would sound more appealing :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 09:43:22 am »
I had three manky bananas so I made this cake about and hour ago. I added a bit less sugar, put some mace in, 3 tsp at least of cardamom.

DH, who is not fond of banana cake, so he says,   though I have never made one before  declaredp it delicious.

It is a winner. Thanks Jamberie. Yes my house smells great.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 12:10:05 pm »
On my 'to do list' for this week. 
School holidays so I hope to have some time to do a bit other that teach DGS Che and then fall exhausted into bed.
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 01:51:53 pm »
Nice to see you on the forum Rosie and do make time for some 'me time' during the school holidays, you deserve it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.