Author Topic: Cappuccino (Cafe' Style)  (Read 22566 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile
Cappuccino (Cafe' Style)
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:56:59 am »
Cappuccino (Cafe' Style)
Makes 1 drink

3 Cup Stove-Top Espresso Pot
Non-Steamed Milk Frother
Milk
Sugar
Coffee Beans
Drinking Chocolate Mix (to sprinkle on top - for authenticity)
Coffee Cup

Here is the equipment you'll be needing...

Stove-Top Espresso Pot

This device is made up of three parts...
1) The bottom which holds the water
2) The basket which holds your TM grinded coffee beans
3) The top part where the freshly brewed coffee ends up

I use a three cup espresso pot as that is the perfect size for making a single cappuccino.

Non-Steamed Milk Frother

This device will froth your milk to whatever thickness you prefer. You can use whatever kind of milk you like. This device will froth both light and full fat milk equally well. For all you Aussies out  there I recommend Farmhouse milk, with that extra dollop of cream. :D

Coffee Cup

This device is of utmost importance hehe. The larger kind of coffee mug/cup is preferred however.

Instructions

Grinding the Coffee Beans
First you'll need to grind your preferred cappuccino coffee beans in the TM. Take the basket out of the Stove-Top Espresso Pot and fill it to the rim (flat) with your coffee beans. This is your measurement for how many beans you'll need to make your coffee. I find this measurement to be the perfect strength for me; not too weak and not too strong but we are all different so please experiment. Again a three cup espresso stove-top will make one cappuccino. A six cup Espresso stove-top will make 2 cappuccinos, and so on and so forth.

So once you have the correct measurement pour the coffee beans into your TM and set it for 15-20 seconds on speed 9. For 1 coffee 15 seconds should do the job.

Espresso Pot Manual
Next fill up the bottom part of the Espresso stove-top with water. Don't fill it over the air release point that you will see on the side. Pour your freshly grounded beans back into the basket and put the basket back inside the bottom part of the Espresso stove-top which is now filled with water. Screw the top part on, place on your stove-top and start boiling the water. You'll know it's ready as the sound of the coffee coming through to the top will cease. It sounds kinda like boiling water, cos it actually is. ;)

Using the Milk Frother
While the coffee is brewing fill your milk frother about half a centimeter (5mm) underneath the suggested line on the side of the glass. Stick that in your microwave and once the coffee is brewed turn the microwave on high for 1 minute. While the milk is heating place your desired amount of sugar in your coffee mug (if any). Take your Espresso pot off the stove-top, pour the coffee into your mug and mix the sugar in.

Once the milk is heated take out of microwave and start frothing with the plunger. Plunge anywhere between 15-50 times depending on how frothy you want your milk . Experiment with it till you master it.

Finally pour your frothed-up milk into your cup and mix it in with a spoon til' it fills up the mug and bulges over a little. Then all that's left to do is sprinkle on some chocolate dust from the drinking chocolate powder and your ready to consume.

Here is one I prepared earlier...

If you've done it right it should taste just like bought one.  8)

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:58:57 am by Jad »
"But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully." - 1 Peter 3:15

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Cappuccino (Cafe' Style)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:07:47 pm »
i have to say i get more froth with my thermomix ;) i will have to make one to take a pic hehe the battle has begun!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:51:28 pm »
Thanks Jad - well put together. 

I have a Bamix which I have used for frothing milk for others for about 30 years, but I prefer un doppio expresso - so won't be entering the battle. 

The frother could be useful for making foams? with lecithin and gels?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Jad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:55:26 pm »
i have to say i get more froth with my thermomix ;) i will have to make one to take a pic hehe the battle has begun!

Hahah ok. So you got the milk like mine is in the pic did ya??

Frothing milk was one of the first things I tried in the TM. I had that thing spinning at all sorts or speeds for ages and all I got was bubbly, liquid milk. It simply wouldn't foam up at all. So if you can do it without having to add ingredients then please do tell.  ??? :)

I have a Bamix which I have used for frothing milk for others for about 30 years...

I have a Bamix also and I could never get that to froth milk up either. Hmm I'm beginning to think the problem is me?!?!  ;D

Now you guys have got me curious.

"But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully." - 1 Peter 3:15

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:08:36 am »
LOL no, i don't think you are the problem! the first 2 times i did it i was very disappointed. and i don't always get that much foam. i think the day that i had heaps and heaps of foam i had frothed the milk then was waiting for the coffee and refrothed the milk for a short while. maybe that was the secret?

i bet you any money now i won't be able to repeat it LOL
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Jad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 07:11:14 am »
Haha best of luck then.

I hope you get it working actually. I like the idea of the TM doing all the heating and the frothing.
Do you use the butterfly whisk at all?

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 01:03:35 pm »
no i don't. i tried that the second time i ever tried frothing milk and it made no difference whatsoever.

i'll give it a go on the weekend
My Cooking Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 01:45:52 pm »
The season (what grasses are in season in the paddocks that those lovely cows are eating) affects the "frothability" (my new word of the day  ;) :D) of the milk.

Years ago, whie I was studying hospitality we found a huge variation.  For example in spring when the cape weed is everywhere the milk just didn't froth as well.

So I guess where the milk that you puchase comes from would also have an impact due to the grasses growing at the time.

Hope that makes sense??
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Jad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 02:19:27 pm »
Hahahaha. As amusing as that sounds I think you are right on the money. I noticed that with one carton of Farmhouse milk it only took 15 plunges with the milk frother to get it to the thickness I like. The next three cartons however took 50 plunges to get the same kind of consistency.

I actually thought my frother had stopped working properly at first so I went and lashed out on one of those battery powered milk frothers. What a useless device that was. It DOES NOT work. I went back to my good ol' frother. Sure it takes a bit longer but hey it's worth it.

8)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 01:54:19 am »
There is a problem with ? fat breakdown ? (lipolysis) due to enzymes ? at certain times from memory.  Companies like Pura produce a special line of skim milk boosted milk for cafes to reduce the likelihood of froth failures.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Jad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 07:31:05 am »
There is a problem with ? fat breakdown ? (lipolysis) due to enzymes ? at certain times from memory.  Companies like Pura produce a special line of skim milk boosted milk for cafes to reduce the likelihood of froth failures.

WOW that is amazing. I never knew it got so detailed. Incredible.

Is that why the TM recipe book suggests using skim milk when frothing? I love my full cream milk too much to convert. Although 'Smart Milk' is closest to the Real McCoy as far as skim milk goes. "I just want milk that tastes like real milk."  ;D

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 01:20:26 am »
heya, won't have a chance to write anything up on this but put some pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/brazen20au/sets/72157612024957089/ i accidentally did it on 90' instead of my usual 70' or the 80' the recipe calls for so i suspect that is why the explosion LOL (not usual)
My Cooking Blog

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 02:41:10 am »
Great video Karen - hahaha... I think it worked!
Row

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 05:22:10 am »
Awesome Karen. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 06:04:09 am »
WHOA!!! That's huge!

So that's nothing but low fat milk on 90??