Author Topic: Five Spice Pork with Rice and Vegetables (varoma)  (Read 33684 times)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Re: Five Spice Pork with Rice and Vegetables (varoma)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 12:30:49 pm »
Judy your photos need to be uploaded onto 1 of the photo sharing sites such as picasa (a software download from Google that helps you organize, edit, and share your photos. It's free, and easy to use), flickr (flickr is the best way to store, sort, search and share your photos online) or photo bucket (photobucket is an image hosting, video hosting, slideshow creation and photo sharing website).. Each of these are free software which can be downloaded for editing and sharing photos. Hope that makes some sense.  :)  :) Decided I had better advertise each so copied their blurb in brackets.

Judy this will raise a few questions but because your pic had been up loaded onto the web via this forum it was able to be copied and pasted something you can't do from the photos stored on your PC - unless you use a photo sharing software site :)  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:47:43 pm by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 12:46:37 pm »
OK, a whole new ball game so I think I will stick to what I know - any photo is better than none so I am happy I have managed to get that far.   :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 12:50:29 pm »
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 02:31:20 am »
Can somone clarify something with this recipe for me please? I see that you are to cook the pork in the parcels for 15 minutes before adding rice and vegies to TMX, but do you keep the pork parcels in the varoma with the vegies as well or does it get set aside when the rice/vegies are added?

We often find that the times for cooking meat (especially in the EDC) are too long for our taste so I don't want to overcook the pork because I misread the recipe.
Thanks,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 08:53:55 am »
I haven't made this one Kerryn but I agree with you that some times do overcook the meat.  I like my meat pink so usually cook it less.  Will be interested to hear from those who have done this one but I would think everything could go on together and the meat would well and truly be cooked.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 09:47:49 pm »
I made this yesterday and tried to be too clever for my own good.  I was having noodles so didn't need to tie in the pork cooking time in with the rice cooking.   I decided to cook the pork for about 18 minutes in total and timed the veg around that.    The pork was definitely not cooked - we like it slightly pink but this was too pink to be safe.   

As the veggies were cooked, I decided to stir fry the pork to cook it more quickly and it ended up being very tasty as it became slightly caramalised.

Also, the bottle that I thought contained sweet chilli sauce didn't, so I ended up using oyster sauce with some soy sauce as well.   I did throw away most of the waer but kept a bit because the oyster sauce is so gloopy.

The result was a very tasty meal - perhaps bearing little relation to what I set out to cook but I definitely will do it again, although next time I will cook the pork for longer before adding the veg.   ;) ;)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 01:17:19 am »
I would like to make this tonight, but am a little confused as to the timing of adding things.  When you start steaming the pork in the parcels in the varoma, do you finish cooking the pork and set it aside before cooking the rice and vegetables?  Or otherwise - at what point in the cooking do you add the rice and the vegetables?  Could someone who has made this help me out please?  Thanks!  Karen
Karen in Adelaide

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 07:15:01 pm »
Made this tonight and it was delish. I checked the pork and after the 15 min steaming time it was cooked just beautiful I sliced it thin ish. I then added the rice and vege as per recipe, there wasn't a lot of liquid left in the pan after steaming and found that by the time the juices were added it was just enough. The only thing I didn't like was the rice it was a bit sticky.
Here s the proof hehehe
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 11:55:58 am »
Made this tonight. Yum! Karen I cooked the pork first for 15 mins and then added the rice and veggies leaving the pork in.

Offline blackwood

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 12:24:34 pm »
Thanks for bumping this recipe! Photos look wonderful! ..and I love an all-in-one meal...barely any dishes a the end of it =! Winner! :)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 10:59:10 am »
I made this for dinner tonight in my Thermochef. I used brown rice, so put it on at the same time as the pork. I cut the pork into cubes and placed them in a dish in the bottom tray instead of in foil parcels. After 15 minutes, I added the veggies in the top tray. I checked the pork and veggies after another 8 minutes and decided that they were cooked to my liking, so I removed them and put them in my insulated serving bowl. I continued to cook the rice by itself until it was cooked. I then took out the rice basket and drained all the cooking liquid. I then added the sauce ingredients and cooked the sauce.
Next time, I will probably check the pork after it has been cooking for 20 minutes.
My fussy DS really enjoyed this (except for the squash and mushrooms ), so I will make this again.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:48:24 am by judydawn »
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 09:31:22 pm »
yum, will try next week :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url