Author Topic: Steamed Chocolate Mudcakes with Orange Sabayon (with photo)  (Read 11079 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Steamed Chocolate Mudcakes with Orange Sabayon (with photo)
« on: November 04, 2010, 09:11:58 pm »

Steamed Chocolate Mudcakes with Sabayon - dairy free

Makes 12 - 14 cupcakes

Steamed Chocolate Mudcakes

1.  Place all the ingredients into the Thermomix bowl in the order listed and beat for 30 seconds on speed 6; scrape down sides of bowl and beat for a further 10 seconds on speed 6.

- 40g extra virgin macadamia oil (or grapeseed oil)
- 200g cool water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 20g balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 150g Rapadura
- 260g spelt flour
- 25g cacao powder (or cocoa)
- pinch sea salt

Stir in some dark chocolate chunks or chips if you like.

2.  Pour into ungreased silicon cupcake cups (only fill a little over half way!) and place in the two layers of the Varoma.  Pour 1 litre of water (not hot) into the Thermomix bowl, place lid and Varoma on top, and cook on Varoma temperature, 20 minutes, speed 2.  (Mine were filled a bit too full, as you can see below!)  Remove lid and set aside while you make the sabayon.  (Or you could make a chocolate sauce or vanilla custard to drizzle over instead.)

Sabayon

1.  Make sure the Thermomix bowl is clean and dry.  Place nutmeg in bowl and grind for 10 seconds on speed 9.  Remove from bowl and set aside.
- 1 whole nutmeg
(Of course, you can use pre-ground nutmeg, but you'll get more flavour if you grind your own!)

2.  Mill the Rapadura for 20 seconds on speed 9, until fine:
- 80g Rapadura

3.  Add remaining ingredients to Thermomix bowl and cook for 8 minutes at 80 degrees, speed 4.  (You can use the butterfly if you like - it makes it lighter and fluffier.)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 tblspns fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste

Now turn the cupcakes out of their cups, place them upside down on a plate, and drizzle over some sabayon... Enjoy!

We enjoyed these little cakes for afternoon tea the other day.  I've been wanting to try steaming chocolate mudcakes in the Thermomix Varoma, and they worked really well, turning out lovely and moist, although they cracked open a bit - I just turned them upside down.  ;)  I think they could've done with a little more chocolate though (being the chocoholic that I am!!), so next time I think I'd put in some chunks of 70% cocoa chocolate.  I had some egg yolks in the fridge that needed using up, so I made sabayon too, and they tasted delightful together!  I use fresh orange juice in my sabayon instead of rum, and I use Rapadura instead of sugar, which gives it a lovely, rich flavour.  The cakes were still hot when we drizzled the sabayon over, so it kind of soaked in, but it still tasted delicious.

This mudcake recipe is originally from the 'Budget Busters' Thermomix cookbook, but I've added a few of my own tweaks (of course!).  I also halved the recipe so it would fit in my Varoma in silicon cupcake cups, making twelve cupcakes.

members' comments
Ostara - Just whisked this up in Thelma and it was delicious! I used virgin coconut oil instead of macadamia so there's a faint coconut taste to it. Not too sweet, and very moist. I had to pop some of the mix in the oven though as I'd run out of room (I used 6 normal cupcake sized moulds and lots of teeny tiny ones as I'm making cakes for a lot of children) and the baked ones were a lot crunchier and not as flavoursome. Great recipe! Amazingly constructed sans egg and dairy.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:12:22 pm by judydawn »
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Steamed Chocolate Mudcakes with Orange Sabayon (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:47:52 pm »
These look lovely Jo.Good excuse to buy some silicone cupcake cups next week when I'm at the at the Good Food Show in London. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 10:21:07 pm »
These look and sound delicious Quirky, I've copied the recipe to try, thankyou.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 12:22:42 am »
Even though I had breakfast not long ago this photo still makes me hungry. I have heaps of dariole moulds but think I might go out and buy some little silcon cupcake moulds. Fantastic photo and recipe.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 12:26:49 am »
yummo quirkycooking. We like the budget busters mud cake and your conversion looks lovely. Oh dear- ANOTHER trip to the kitchen shop( for the silicon moulds). Wonder what else I can find there  ;) At least I'm loved at that shop  :D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 02:20:50 am »
QC I think i am starting to come around to the rapadura way of thinking...do you buy yours in bulk from anywhere in Aus, as I don't reckon I would get far with the little packets ($$$) they sell in our local health food shop? Also, when you are making a recipe and it calls for 'normal' sugar, do you use more or less the same if using rapadura?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 03:48:57 am »
All you guys with kitchen shops nearby, I'm jealous!  I haven't been to a kitchen shop for ages!!  But I'm off to the 'big smoke' next Thursday (well, Cairns - it's the big smoke for me!) and I'm going to visit a kitchen shop!  I need a new frypan and I think I'll get a scanpan!

CreamPuff - I do buy my Rapadura bulk from Demeter Farm Mill - it's about $63 for a $12.5kg bag with freight (through our co-op) - so that's about $5/kg - not too bad.  I think it's more like $9/kg from the health food shop!  You just use it the same way as you do sugar - but in most recipes, I cut the sugar down.  For example, the original recipe for these mudcakes would've been 200g sugar, but I took it down to 150g, and I think they're sweet enough.  I can't stand to use too much Rapadura (because of the price), so if a recipe needs more sweetening, I'll sometimes add a pinch of stevia powder, or some ground up dates, or some honey/maple syrup/agave syrup, depending on what the texture needs to be.

Hope that helps!  :)

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:15:29 am »
Hi Quirkycooking - I have noticed that you use rapadura sugar mostly in your recipes. Do you buy it in bulk? I can only seem to buy it in small quantities.  ???
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:20:15 am »
You need to co-op with Demeter as they don't sell to individuals. Rapadura is $6.25 for 375g at our healthfood shop :o Mind you it really makes me use less sugar!

I am thinking of starting up a co-op - mainly for Rapadura really as most other stuff I can get from our wholefood bulk shop.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 09:20:57 am »
great recipe btw ;D

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 09:44:03 am »
Thanks Zebraa  ;D

Yes, I think you need an ABN to order from Demeter, and we have one for our co-op.  This co-ops been going for years (I've been in it for 10 yrs) and is quite big.  I think as long as you can get a $1000 order (or more) between you, you get better prices.  Daabon are the ones that import Rapadura into Australia, and you may be able to buy direct from them - they have bulk and retail sizes - they use the name Panela and Rapadura interchangeably.  Their Australian office is in NSW, and you can phone them on (02) 9566 4500.

BigTcup - I do use rapadura a lot, as it's so much better for you than sugar - see my article on it here.

:)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 07:42:56 am »
How did I miss this one?? This is going on my hit list too!! Great photo Jo ;D we really need a gobbling up a plate of food moving emoticon lol
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 09:38:10 am »
Ha ha! Thanks  ;D  Yes, I often think of other emoticons that I want!  Maybe a licking-the-bowl emoticon, and a jumping-up-and-down-with-excitement emoticon...  :D

Offline Ostara

• View Profile
    • Thermocauldron
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 11:26:24 am »
Just whisked this up in Thelma and it was delicious! I used virgin coconut oil instead of macadamia so there's a faint coconut taste to it. Not too sweet, and very moist. I had to pop some of the mix in the oven though as I'd run out of room (I used 6 normal cupcake sized moulds and lots of teeny tiny ones as I'm making cakes for a lot of children) and the baked ones were a lot crunchier and not as flavoursome. Great recipe! Amazingly constructed sans egg and dairy.
Blogging about my adventures at http://thermocauldron.blogspot.com/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 11:59:20 am »
Thanks  :)  Nice and moist in the steamer!