Author Topic: Budget busters, Chicken, leek and corn pie  (Read 17620 times)

Offline inthekitchen

• View Profile
Re: Budget busters, Chicken, leek and corn pie
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 05:18:59 am »
Making this as pot pies tonight :) after the good reviews I'm really looking forward to it!  (I always come on the forum to check a recipe review before I make it, some of the tips have been really useful ). 

Offline inthekitchen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 05:07:32 am »
I found these really easy to make (as pot pies). I used one leek, rather two.  Next time I think I'd reduce the corn and leeks & maybe add some diced carrot, potato and mushrooms too.  I'll definitely make again  :)

Offline KathD11

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 12:08:56 pm »
I made this pie last night, very delicious. I didnt have enough corn so made the volume up with peas. I thought you could easily substitute the chicken with tuna and DH said it would be nice with mushroom and tarragon added as well.

Offline frazzled_mom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 12:28:24 pm »
Can i get recipe for this pie anywhere in the forum? Was it posted before??
Busy Perth mom of two: DS4 and DS1! 😁

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 01:42:06 pm »
Love the recipe as well please!

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 11:13:39 am »
Thank you forum member! Much appreciated.

Offline frazzled_mom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 12:34:33 pm »
Hi all.

I am trying to figure out how to line my pie dish with pampas frozen puff pastry. Is that the correct pastry type to use??

It seems the pastry sheet is not big enough. Is it ok to patch up?? And the top wont be covered fully too. As the pie dish is bigger than the pastry sheet. I am confused.

Can anyone post some photos?? So i sort of have ideas on how big and deep the pie dish should be?? Mine is currently round and quite shallow. Usuallu used them to bake quiche etc. My other one is way too big.

All help appreciated. Photos of the correct pie dish size as to this recipe's portion is most appreciated. Thx

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 01:17:40 pm »
I didn't line my pie dish fm,just put a pastry lid on top of the filling.I can't remember which dish I used but it was something like this but mine is ceramic not enamel. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline frazzled_mom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 02:25:03 pm »
Oh ok. I dont think i have anything like that. Thx though CC.
I thought it would be something like this photo below. Obviously it is way too shallow. I'll keep looking of possible dishes at my house. I'll dig out the drawers and cabinets tmrw. Thx CC

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 02:26:34 pm »
frazzled_mum, yes the Pampas puff pastry sheets are the type specified in the recipe.  Once they have thawed just overlap 2 edges together and press them together to make the sheet bigger.  As CC did, it's not essential to have pastry in the bottom but it's up to you if you want a complete pie or just meat with a pastry topping.  You could make it into 2 smaller sized dishes or even in individual ramekins if you prefer.

Just saw the quiche tin you posted - that is way too small and shallow for a pie that would serve 6 people. Do you have a lasagne dish perhaps, not a huge one but a medium sized one?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KathD11

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 12:14:31 am »
I used a rectangular glass pyrex dish for my pie and lined the bottom with pastry, I cut off any extra and pressed it back on in the spots that needed it (like the corners) it worked pretty well for me! But I did use more than the 2 sheets specified...think it was 3 or 4

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 10:57:33 am »
Made this tonight. Needed to cook for 8 mins longer for all the chicken pieces to be cooked. 5/5 from us. Yum.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 12:31:41 pm »
I made this last night. Really yummy, actually tastier than I expected it to be. I think if I was making it again I'd pulverize the leeks so that it would be more appetizing to DD4 & DS2. I think adding mushrooms peas & carrots would be nice. I used 4 sheets of frozen pastry in my big lasagna dish. I had to turn up the oven quite a lot towards the end to brown off the pastry.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2015, 11:50:53 am »
What a fabulous recipe!  Was this one of Tenina's?  Everyone at our meal tonight just *loved* it and wanted the recipe.  Thank you to cookie too.  Her yummy cream cheese pastry made for a beautiful pie.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution