Author Topic: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe  (Read 138011 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Re: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2012, 09:21:00 pm »
I have a question for all the expert yoghurt makers out there ...... I have lots of milk that is close to the use-by date (but still OK and not going off), will turning it into yoghurt extend the "life" of the milk?   
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2012, 11:41:03 pm »
I am no yoghurt expert Karen but if it hasn't reached it's use by date yet, I would make a batch then use it for something like the strawberry yoghurt sorbet in QFITT - or in your case perhaps use your frozen raspberries.  Once frozen the life would be extended.

Mango frozen yoghurt
Frozen Yoghurt Lollipops - perhaps good for you party next weekend.
Lemon Curd frozen yoghurt
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2012, 12:12:15 am »
Yes.  Turning the milk into yogurt will extend the life - for at least three weeks or so. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2012, 08:58:21 am »
Thank you so much Judy and Andie!!   I just knew that one of the "gurus" on here would know the answer to that  :-* :-* :-*  Right - time to get off the forum and start making yoghurt  :D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2012, 09:30:31 am »
KarenH we keep yoghurt for up to three weeks without ny problem, I always use milk that is just at use by.

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2012, 09:36:57 am »
I did the same thing today - made yoghurt with milk that was at its due date.  It's still in the EasiYo so I am not sure if its worked (my yoghurt making is still a bit hit or miss) but now I am conflicted as to whether I leave it as yoghurt or turn it into a yoghurt ice-cream.  Something to think about overnight....

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2012, 05:00:03 am »
Strangely, last night I found 2ltrs of milk that had mysteriously ended up in the outside fridge and the use by was today. I made it into yoghurt last night and will strain tonight. Fortunately we needed more yoghurt and it meant I didn't need to waste the milk.

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 27, 2012, 05:20:15 am »
Seems to be a yoghurt kind of day ;D

Thanks for your help today Wonder (on the other thread). Much appreciated.  I'm looking forward to my yoghurt for brekkie tomorrow already
I do the best I can

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 27, 2012, 05:27:15 am »
No worries. I made mine last night and left it in the microwave overnight and forgot all about it today, I was in such a hurry to leave for an early meeting I didn't even think of it. It will be interesting to see if it's any thicker than normal after the longer resting time uninterrupted.

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 27, 2012, 06:59:10 am »
This batch of yoghurt was my best yet - nice and thick and I haven't needed to strain at all.  I ended up using the same brand milk (full cream organic) so maybe being a little older helped in the setting process.  Or maybe it was because, like Wonder, I forgot about it and left it on the bench for almost 24 hours  ???.

Anyway, I have decided to turn some of it into yogurt sorbet.  I'm using the Strawberry Yoghurt Sorbet from QFITT but will probably use raspberries instead of strawberries.  I also didn't have any milk (used it all to make my yoghurt) so have substituted cream.  The yoghurt mixture is in the freezer for 12 hours so I'll post a review in the next couple of days once it is finished.

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 27, 2012, 08:36:13 am »
Just found another recipe for yogurt sorbet but this is more of a savoury version/palette cleanser.  It is Andrew Fielke's Cucumber, Yoghurt & Lemon Myrtle Sorbet.  Even better, it's already converted for TMX  ;D

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 27, 2012, 06:19:42 pm »
About the "use by" dates on dairy products.

In my experience, those are not exactly accurate - in fact, I go by how the milk tastes.  I buy organic milk (Horizon is the brand available in my area) which has a use-by date that is much further away from the date of sale than others, (as is the Lactose-free milk products)

The regular milk I bought a week ago has a use-by date of January 1, 2013.  I currently have a carton open (used on my breakfast cereal) that has a "use-by" date of November 7 but it is still sweet and good. 
Milk with less butterfat will not keep as long (seems odd to me)  but again, I taste it and use it until I can detect a bit of a sourness - at that point I heat it to 95° F  and mix with some of my buttermilk base and turn it into buttermilk for cooking.  It usually takes 8 hours at room temp to culture this. 
I do this if I have plenty of yogurt on hand.
If I have a lot of buttermilk, I freeze it. 
I don't throw out anything that has nutritive value.   I have recipes that use "sour milk"  mostly developed during the depression when it was considered criminal to toss out anything that could be used.  I was born in 1939 near the end of that decade and I grew up with the frugal and thrifty ideas from that era.

There are many sites with recipes but this one is helpful.

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
Re: Re: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe
« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »
I just made this again with a bottle of milk which was about to expire.

It didn't set.  About the top inch in the thermos was ok but the rest was just watery.

Grrrrrr
I do the best I can

Offline Curry Diva

• My spinach curry will put hairs on your chest
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2012, 09:09:56 pm »
My first batch did the same Karen. I read somewhere to wrap the thermoserve in a towel and place gently in microwave overnight. This keeps it warmer for longer. Since then I have never had a failure with my yoghurt and I am not game to change. :)
This is exactly what I do and no failures, but I place it in the oven (off) overnight. I use Aldi brand fresh skin milk and pop 100-150g Aldi skim milk powder in at the start, apart from that I use Valerie's online recipe, not the EDC recipe. Very thick result. Beautiful eating on it own if you like that sort of thing. It's thick n creamy like Greek yog.
Donna, Wife, Mother of 2, Nurse Consultant, Proverbs 31 woman in training, Geelong, Vic

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 17, 2012, 04:42:32 am »
If you have a heating pad you can use that.  I have a large one that is 24 inches long and even wrapped part way around a container it will maintain the temp.
Of course it is now winter here and I keep my house fairly cool.  During the summer when the temps are in the 90s (F) I don't even need to use the incubater.