Author Topic: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?  (Read 439183 times)

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:18:01 am »
We are being very serious about our veggie patch and getting it ready for spring. we have a cage over the whole thing to keep out the pesky possums. 

A few weeks ago we visited the Dromana diggers club and there was so much winter veg doing brilliantly - very inspiring. What are your veggie patches doing at the moment and what do you usually pant out?  We have some old apple crates full of soil and plants at the back of our office property and have to say there are some really good carrots happening there!
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:34:33 am »
Wish mine looked like yours. Mine is full of weeds. We do have
Spring onions
Iceberg lettuce (4)
Parsley
Thyme
Chillis
Capsicum
Rosemary & thats about it :)

Maybe  next weekend we can have a clean up.

:)

H & a great kaffir lime tree & a row of bay trees :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:53:19 am by Halex »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 01:35:02 am »
Jude59 - your blog is lovely!  Quite an inspiration - thank you!  Yes, we're just gearing up for spring -  and we are the palace for pesky possums!!  Have been trying to think of a effective cage system with what we already have in the way of materials.  The local permaculture people are very helpful. Our yards are undergoing a bit of a rebirth - it was very overgrown when we moved here - ticks galore - my DS and some of his mates have done a fantastic job in clearing both front and back.

Is that photo at home or at the cafe?  It looks fabulous!! :D

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:42:33 am »
My DH is the gardener in this house, he has 3 large beds (the back yard is slowly being overtaken), wehe has at the moment:

cabbage
cauliflower
kale
spinach
silver beet
lettuce
spring onions
onions
parsley, mint, thyme, rosemary, curry, oregano

I'm sure there is more, but one bed is being prepped for the summer veg, tomatoes my fave!
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 02:26:03 am »
We're about to make some major changes to our vege garden in the next season or so, so only a few broad beans, parsley, oregano and rosemary on the go at the moment.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 02:41:09 am »
Thanks Goldfish :)  this is our backyard garden. The apple crates and carrots are at the back of the office, for some reason root veg have never grown well here so we are very excited about the carrots at the office. I'll try and find a photo.  The possums are sooooo annoying!  There is possum poop everywhere....grrrrrrr. We are asking council if we can cut down our silky oak out the back - that's where they live and prosper.
Knittercook your garden sounds just like the Diggers Club!  Veg envy from me!  I have tried to talk DH into planting out the front yard but he thinks thats going too far!
I have started some tomato seeds inside in a sunny room out the back and they have come up. Am hoping to get a little jump on the season and just put them out on the decking when is sunny until its right to plant them outside.... Experiment!  Have got seedlings up of broccoli and red cabbage, lettuces and some Asian greens.  Other than that it's just a little bit of silverbeet and spring onions and carrots. DH has planted some beetroot in the crates last week too.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 02:51:34 am »
My Veggie garden is full of chooks :D
But one day when we decide to have a veggie garden again (when the chooks are gone) the soil will be well fertilized with chook poo. No weeds at the moment as I pulled them all up a few weeks ago, and the chooks keep it pretty weed free.
I do have an area with raspberries that is covered with bird netting to keep the chooks and birds out.
I have had a veggie garden but not for the last 2 or 3 years.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 03:15:48 am »
I am just getting the garden beds ready for the summer garden now - DH is going to grab a load of chook poo from his parents to dig into the soil today.  :)
Not 100% sure what I will grow this year - last year was my very first vege garden, and I loved it!! I do have a rosemary bush full time. Last year I did zucchini, butternut pumpkin, tomatoes x2 varietys, capsicum, leek, spring onion, brocolli, carrots and corn. And it all grew well in my very small veg patch! I do know I want to do zucchini, tomamtoes and broc again, also would like to do watermelon, have not fully decided yet. Also I am going to do a herb garden in a barrel or pot of some sort.  :)
:D

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 03:22:04 am »
Jude59 we have beetroot as well ( forgot that) DH has never had success with carrots.

I am really lucky to be able to have freshly picked veggies on the table most nights.
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 03:24:08 am »
We are moving our herbs to barrels this year to try and contain them a bit better. The mint has got away from us in the veg patch.  
Last year we put in three blueberry bushes and this year have red currants andsome other berries. Am thinking they can just fit in around the place here and there.  Apparently potatoes are going in later today. Love love love home grown potatoes.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 03:29:28 am »
Knittercook you are lucky!  Just had a look at your blog and wow such great things there and your knitting tension looks very professional.  My knitting is all over the place.  See you have an etsy shop too.  You haven't got a red beret have you?  Have to dress up French for a dinner party next weekend. Have my long elegant cigarette holder (sans cigarette of course) and was thinking about a beret.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 03:30:43 am »
sorry jude59 i didnt like your blog,  it sent shivers down my spine, # 1 fear mice
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 03:33:23 am »
Haha!  Most people are like that. My pet rats were the sweetest things imagine able. I loved them both so much. I want more but I don't know if I can go through the pain of losing them again. They live such short lives :(. My cats are my only pets at the moment.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 04:19:31 am »
we are planting our vege garden again today...
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 04:50:39 am »
I used to have a large veggie patch at our old house, but I went without one in our current house until this summer when I took over DS's sandpit that he has grown out of. It isn't overly big,  But I have Curley leaf parsley, Chives, rainbow chard, broccoli, cauliflower, one lettuce, one bean ( DD's school project) and last weekend I planted some garlic which has started to shoot already. Also, along the fence I have snow peas, more garlic, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and in pots I have flat leaf parsley and lemongrass. Last weekend I planted two bags with potatoes, so I will be interested to see how these turn out.
I also have a compost bin, which provided me with butternut pumpkins and tomatoes last summer. When I started the patch, I used soil mixed with my own compost, and the pumpkins and tomatoes came up by themselves. I still have 5 pumpkins waiting for me to cook them :)
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous