Author Topic: Corn and red Capsicum soup  (Read 12507 times)

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
Corn and red Capsicum soup
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:17:06 am »
Name of Recipe:
Corn and Red Capsicum Soup

You will need
30 grams EVOO
1 onion quartered
2 garlic cloves bruised
pinch cayenne
two capsicums quartered
kernels from 4 to 6 cobs of corn (medium sized cobs) - approx. 750g of kernels
1 tablespoon of vegetable stock paste
750 grams to a litre of water (this depends on the quantity of kernels you have)

MethodPlace onion and cloves into TM and chop on speed 6 for 4 seconds.
Add EVOO and saute 2 minutes on 100 speed 2.
Add the capsicums and chop on speed 6 for 4 seconds, (you need to have some little chunks).
Add the corn kernels the stock paste and water.
Cook for 18 minutes at 100´, reverse, speed 2 ½ .
When finished pour half into a jug and blend remaining soup by slowly bringing up to speed 8 and puree for 30 seconds. Return remaining soup to TM and re heat to 100´ on reverse speed 2 then serve with slices of homemade bread with cheese melted on top. Yumm. :P

I’ve made this with the kernels of six cobs and adding 1 litre of liquid is not easy but that is what the original recipe called for. So I usually opt for 750 grams in the TM and the add the rest when all the cooking and blending is finished. I have made it with the kernels of 4 cobs but it just doesn’t have the flavour. Maybe I’ve been spoilt.
Anyway I hope you try it and enjoy. It’s a really nice soup for a cold winter,or autumn, day.

This recipe has been adapted from a recipe by Ian Hewitson.

members' comments Delicious

JuliaBalbilla -  I did adapt it slightly by using 2 chillies instead of the cayenne, which I chopped and cooked with the onion and garlic for 10 minutes MC off.  I also increased the garlic quantity.   I used 500g frozen sweetcorn (whole cobs are quite expensive here and would have to travel to get them).  As for red peppers, I used skinned and roasted Romero peppers (the pointy ones) which had been preserved in jars. I have eaten this chilled as well - it was delicious!!

JD - I decided to have a go myself with what I had in the house so here are my changes and it is a delicious soup, sweet but not too sweet,  nice & thick as I like my soups and something you can cook up so quickly for unexpected visitors.  It is really lovely.
I did half quantity of most ingredients but with a higher ratio of corn so these are my quantities and adaptions.
15g EVOO
130g red onion
1/2 tsp garlic paste instead of fresh garlic
pinch cayenne
130g red capsicum
450g corn (canned but some frozen added to make up the quantity)
500g pkt chicken liquid stock instead of veg stock paste & water
1 tsp chicken stock powder
Just a tad S & P

I cooked the onion and garlic paste 5 mins/varoma/reverse/speed 1 then followed the rest of your recipe.

I had roasted capsicums in the freezer but didn't want to waste them in soup.  I was so glad I didn't as the soup is perfect using plain capsicums.

Bonsai - Made a similar soup based on a recipe in the April edition of Gourmet Traveller magazine. Sauté onion and a clove of garlic, add 1/2 cup white wine and a pinch of saffron and cook 100c for 2 mins sp 1 then ad 1 litre chicken stock, 400g tin of crushed tomatoes (or fresh equivalent I suppose) and 450g of roasted red pepper (I bought a jar of these) and 3 sprigs of thyme.  Cook for 15 mins 100 degrees sp 1 then add 1 tbs of red wine/sherry vinegar and 50g of day-old bread (no crusts). Cook 2 mins 100 c sp 1 and allow to cool a bit  then purée speed 10 for 60 secs - careful if it is hot protect your hands near the lid. This is a lovely soup but not thick. I made it for work lunches this week and will take a slice of bread to toast and have on the side. I think next time I'll add smoked paprika or a pinch of cayenne. Tastes lovely, a nice summer soup

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:48:36 pm by judydawn »
Chief cook and bottle washer

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
Re: Corn and red Capsicum soup
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:32:11 am »
Looks very nice. Added to my list of soups to try this winter. Any idea of what the weight of corn in 6 cobs might be (I will probably use frozen kernels).
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:38:05 am »
jkmt, I found varying answers to this one but I'd go with 2 corn on the cob would be 1 cup of kernels.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 01:49:20 pm »
Another lovely recipe from you, Lucyluu!  I shall have to keep my eye on you  ;D

JD
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 03:08:09 pm »
jkmt, I found varying answers to this one but I'd go with 2 corn on the cob would be 1 cup of kernels.

Thanks, JD!
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 04:58:20 pm »
Eventually got around to making this today and loved it!  I did adapt it slightly by using 2 chilles instead of the cayenne, which I chopped and cooked with the onion and garlic for 10 minutes MC off.  I also increased the garlic quantity.   I used 500g frozen sweetcorn (whole cobs are quite expensive here and would have to travel to get them).  As for red peppers, I used skinned and roasted Romero peppers (the pointy ones) which had been preserved in jars.  I have some left over so am going to try it chilled tomorrow.  Thanks Lucyluu for such a great recipe ;D

JB

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:10:03 pm »
Had this chilled earlier - was delicious!!  ;D

JB

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 02:14:31 am »
Glad your all enjoying the soup and making your own variations, after all that's what cooking is all about. Tweaking and tasting until it suits your taste buds.
Sorry about the delay in replying in regards to the weight of the corn. I made it again last night and weighed the kernals as I cut them from the cobs. It was 750 grams in total, but the next time I make it there will probably be a difference as the size of the cobs and the number of kernals will probably always change.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:27:35 am »
I made it again last night and weighed the kernals as I cut them from the cobs. It was 750 grams in total.

I am inclined to agree with you re the weight of kernals.  When I ate it hot, I felt it did need something to thicken it up a little so extra kernals would be a good way of doing it.  However, once it had been cooled and chilled overnight, the consistency was about right.

JB

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 09:45:38 am »
I have added this recipe to my list of recipes to try after reading your comments JB! :D

I just want to ask though, does the capsicum skin cook down in the soup? I have used whole capsicums in soups, sauces and stews in the past, and I always get those little bits of skin that stick in your teeth :-\ I don't really like that.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 10:07:35 am »
I used
does the capsicum skin cook down in the soup? I have used whole capsicums in soups, sauces and stews in the past, and I always get those little bits of skin that stick in your teeth :-\ I don't really like that.

I used roasted, skinless capsicums.  We can buy them in jars here and they generally come from Turkey and the Eastern Mediterranean.  The reason for this is that a) they are ready skinned b) there is no greengrocer where I live c) generally peppers in the UK are Dutch greenhouse ones and pretty tasteless.  I would certainly suggest that you skin fresh ones, especially as only half the soup is blended.  You can do this with a blowtorch or follow one of the methods here.  Alternatively you could use several of the small Spanish Pimientos del Piquillo de Lodosa, delicious but damned expensive  :(

JB
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:09:17 am by JuliaBalbilla »

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:50:09 am »
Thanks JB :)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 09:46:58 am »
Thanks to Lucyluu and Ian Hewitson, too.  I was excited to try this soup, but was a bit disappointed with the flavour.  Maybe it's because when I see the lovely rich red colour I imagine I am going to taste tomato.  The garlic, cayenne and stock gave it a bit of bite, but it was a bit too watery for our liking.  Worth a try, though. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:18:58 am by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 12:08:40 am »
We had this for dinner last night and I'd forgotten how nice it was. Added 2 pinches of cayenne which bumped up the heat a bit. A bit too much for my brother. Also made some Bailys to go with it. They were really nice.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 01:38:14 am »
Thanks for bumping this recipe this morning Lucyluu.  I decided to have a go myself with what I had in the house so here are my changes and it is a delicious soup, sweet but not too sweet,  nice & thick as I like my soups and something you can cook up so quickly for unexpected visitors.  It is really lovely.

I did half quantity of most ingredients but with a higher ratio of corn so these are my quantities and adaptions.
15g EVOO
130g red onion
1/2 tsp garlic paste instead of fresh garlic
pinch cayenne
130g red capsicum
450g corn (canned but some frozen added to make up the quantity)
500g pkt chicken liquid stock instead of veg stock paste & water
1 tsp chicken stock powder
Just a tad S & P

I cooked the onion and garlic paste 5 mins/varoma/reverse/speed 1 then followed the rest of your recipe.

I had roasted capsicums in the freezer but didn't want to waste them in soup.  I was so glad I didn't as the soup is perfect using plain capsicums.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.