Author Topic: Non Repeating Garlic....  (Read 4818 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Non Repeating Garlic....
« on: March 07, 2009, 09:53:29 pm »
Living in Spain, we have garlic in absolutely everything, even at breakfast on toast! ;) Even a fried egg has garlic. We even have garlic soup, instead of onion soup! In omelette, mayonaisse, salads, meat, fish...in fact the only thing we don't use garlic in is the desserts.... :D
And have noticed that lots of you seem to have some indigestion problems with the garlic.
Well just a tip to you all. The centre part of the garlic is the part that repeats so if you cut it out, no problem!  ;)
In Spain, we even add a little garlic into babies purées!
Slice the garlic in half, and take out the centre piece, which is like a greenish shoot and discard.
Good luck and happy garlic eating!!! ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Non Repeating Garlic....
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 12:14:30 am »
I actually do that Bron, don't know why, maybe I read that tip somewhere a long time ago and forgotten the reason for doing it. It must work because garlic doesn't repeat on me. This is a helpful hint for our forum, good one!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
Re: Non Repeating Garlic....
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:18:07 pm »
I was always told the green germ was quite bitter and could throw off a recipe.

Remove that garlic germ! If you cut a garlic clove in half, you will see a small sprout in the middle.  That sprout is called the garlic "germ". Very fresh garlic has only a tiny, white germ.  As the garlic gets older, the germ becomes larger and eventually turns green.  Experts say the garlic germ should be removed and discarded - epecially when the germ is large or when the garlic is to be eaten raw as in guacamole or salad dressing.  Why? The germ is very acidic and can cause indigestion.  It also has a bitter flavor, which may affect your recipe and leave a nasty aftertaste.

http://www.dinnerselect.com/Dinner_Tip_of_the_Week-c1304-wp5464.htm