Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507629 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #1380 on: August 11, 2014, 09:24:06 am »
Troupie I did that once but fortunately, like you a friend wanted to read it.
I've almost finished Somethingy Fishy by Shane Maloney. I read the first chapter in the bookshop the other day so decided I wanted to finish it. As I read further I found that this event didn't continue, but it has turned out to be pivotal in the story after all. I'm enjoying it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 14, 2014, 12:55:59 am »
I haven't  had any time to read recently and hoping for some book recommendations.
I have many unread books  as yet on my kindle but haven't got the time or inclination to look through them at the moment.
Any suggestions welcome. ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 15, 2014, 09:01:31 am »
I'm reading the latest Kathy Reichs and have the next JD Robb to read next. What sort of books do you like MF?

Offline zebby

• View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 15, 2014, 01:59:02 pm »
Card Play and Improvers Bridge. I would think they would put me to sleep but they don't!

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: September 19, 2014, 12:40:15 am »
The Bookbub site is quite good for people with Kindles, E readers etc   I cannot get the link to work at the moment but if you put it in google I am sure it will come up.  I have found that although some titles are listed as free by the time I get to them that has changed.   

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1385 on: September 19, 2014, 01:19:09 am »
Our local library has just joined BOrrow box. You can borrow ebooks and audiobooks with just one click. Their previous attempts with overDrive and other software was too cumbersome. Go to the App Store and download the free app and see if you can access ebooks from one of the libraries using this service.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 19, 2014, 03:41:16 am »
I've started Wolf Hall but being on my Kindle its hard to turn to the front to read who the characters are in each chapter. I thought I bookmarked the first page, but then I spent so much time fiddling that I lost interest. I must investigate the X-ray feature next time I pick it up...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 19, 2014, 01:55:09 pm »
I'm about to start a Stella Rimington book. It isn't her latest, I picked it up in Melbourne for $5.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 22, 2014, 09:51:15 am »
I am just reading the Dough book you recommended Cookie; used to read all Kathy Reich books but found they got a bit too gruesome for me; funny how our tastes change as we get older.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: October 04, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »
For those who loved The Rosie Project. There is the sequel  The Rosie Effect. Haven't read it yet. Just downloaded it.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #1390 on: October 05, 2014, 12:33:55 am »
I've started Wolf Hall but being on my Kindle its hard to turn to the front to read who the characters are in each chapter. I thought I bookmarked the first page, but then I spent so much time fiddling that I lost interest. I must investigate the X-ray feature next time I pick it up...

I adored that book & it's follow up, Bringing up the Bodies -and I don't even like historical fiction. Mantell manages to make the politics of the time seem very contemporary.  I couldn't have read it in my kindle tho - way too much need to refer to the front.
What is the x-Ray feature?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1391 on: October 05, 2014, 02:45:13 am »
Don't come on here much.  Love to see what everyone is reading.
I read mostly murder/ mystery light weight crap.  Puts me to sleep.  Only read in bed. Have just finished The Rosey Project,  loved it.  We have a very dear friend who is just like the 'Hero.'   Couldn't stop laughing. Have down loaded 2 Stella Rimmington for Tassie.  Reading ' The Few' by Nadia Dalbuono.  Like her writing style.  Ral bought this for me at Readings, is was book of the Month.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 05, 2014, 04:19:59 am »
Great feature in the touch kindle.

Last edited 3 months ago by Jim.henderson
X-Ray (Amazon Kindle)
X-Ray is a reference tool incorporated in Amazon Kindle Touch and later models, the Kindle Fire tablets, the Kindle app for mobile platforms, Fire Phone and Fire TV.

General reference information is preloaded onto the Kindle device, so that when the feature is used, there is no need to access the Internet disturbing a user's experience. The information can range from encyclopedic content to information about actors featured in a film.

X-Ray lets users explore in more depth the contents of a book, to "get to its bones". Users can touch a word to launch either a dictionary definition or a more in-depth explanation provided by Wikipedia or Shelfari. X-Ray does not connect to the Internet to retrieve information. Instead, it accesses pre-loaded files with relevant information.[1]

The function of X-Ray operates like a concordance, listing most commonly used character names, locations, themes, or ideas. Readers most commonly use it to look up first occurrence of characters, helpful in many-charactered novels.[2]

ReferencesEdit

Butler, Kenneth (Sep 28, 2011). "Video: Amazon Kindle Touch’s X-Ray Reference Tool Makes eReading Easier". laptopmag.com. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
"Reading Enhancements". amazon.com. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
Wikipedia ® Mobile‌Desktop
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0 unless otherwise noted.
Terms of UsePrivacy
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 05, 2014, 05:43:31 am »
I am reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
It is difficult to put down.
Great read.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1394 on: October 05, 2014, 07:11:58 am »
I've just started that one too BB :) such great reviews I just had to read it myself (before going to the movie)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/