Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 512041 times)

Online Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #810 on: March 16, 2013, 08:42:41 pm »
Cookie, what is the URL for the iBook store?

I've just finished Practical Jean, I couldn't get into it on my first try (only read a chapter or two and gave up on it), but enjoyed it this time.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 17, 2013, 12:10:44 am »
Just finished "Me Before You" by JoJo Moyes. loved it. It's been such a long time since I've had that painful lump in my throat where its just so, so sad. Highly recommended.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 17, 2013, 12:37:16 am »
I loved that book CP and have a couple more of her books on my kindle waiting to be read.
I know what you mean about the lump in the throat as it is a very emotional book. I would highly recommend it too. It was recommended on this thread awhile ago which is why I read it

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #813 on: March 17, 2013, 02:54:07 am »
Finished my book and realised I haven't downloaded a spare back up, will have a look here for a suggestion. If I wake up in the middle of the night I will be lost without a book  :-[

OMG NO BACKUP!!!!!

How about this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Hundred-Year-Old-Climbed-Window-Disappeared-ebook/dp/B009EHDU7U/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1363207527&sr=1-1-catcorr

Haven't read it yet but love the title.

Gert

I've got that one on my wishlist, Gretchen - I suppose I'll just have to go and put it on the Kindle now, to join the other 7-8 unread books there!

I've just finished Anne de Courcy's "The Fishing Fleet".  I saw her at Writers Week and loved her talk about the husband-hunters who were sent out to British India by the boat-loads!

Gretchen - have you joined on Good Reads yet? If so I need to find you and "friend" you so we can check out each other's reading lists.

Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 17, 2013, 03:20:04 am »
BWaaaaaa I missed her.

Yes I did join the good Reads but have not been back there since. Don't even low what name I used. I am hopeless , was it a app or web site? Oh bugger I dis get email recently. I'll check

I am reading  Joanna Trollope's  The Soldiers  Wife  before moving on the St Aubyn's second in the Melrose series.  I still have not read  Consider the Fork . So many books so little time.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 17, 2013, 03:25:56 am »
Amanda here I am

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/17025373

Gert

I must download"White Truffles in Wnter" have you read it?

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 17, 2013, 05:15:02 am »
Marina, this is what I do. I'm not sure if it will help you. I use the iPad and I have iBooks as an app. I click on iBooks, tap store and a heap of books to buy comes up. One has free in the corner. This week it is on the left and not far down. Just tap that and it will download for you into your iBook library.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #817 on: March 17, 2013, 06:10:25 am »
Amanda here I am

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/17025373

Gert

I must download"White Truffles in Wnter" have you read it?

I read the first 50 pages of White Truffles, then gave it the flick.  I was not engaged at all by the style of writing and was a bit frustrated by it.  It seems that Escoffier had a fascinating life - so I can't work out why it wasn't worth a biography rather than a novel.

Once upon a time I ALWAYS finished any book I started, but I'm too old now and am running out of time.  If it's not working for me, I move on to the next one.

Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 17, 2013, 06:19:15 am »
I agree. I might then just get the free sample first .

Gert

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 17, 2013, 10:17:39 am »
I've just started 1356 by Bernard Cornwall. It is set around one of the major battles in the 100 year war. It should be good if it is anything like his other books

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 20, 2013, 11:58:17 pm »
FINALLY finished Practical Jean.  I didn't really get hooked until just after halfway through, so took a while, but the last half went very quickly  :)

Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 21, 2013, 01:56:23 am »
Just started The Housemaids Daughter. Quite liking it so far.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 21, 2013, 03:21:22 am »
I'm reading The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg - I downloaded it because Cookie mentioned the author a few times, and I'm really enjoying it, so thanks Cookie!
Melbourne, inner north

mcmich

« Reply #823 on: March 21, 2013, 04:24:54 am »
Just started A Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. It's an older release that I was lent by a work mate and I'm really enjoying it. Like that it is based on a true story and the village is still there.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 21, 2013, 08:36:51 am »
Glad you are enjoying it deedub. I've just finished her latest one, another good read.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/