Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 510718 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #345 on: October 02, 2012, 09:15:57 am »
When I first saw your name it reminded me straight away of the word for the get to gethers in the crofts . The word escapes me now.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 02, 2012, 09:16:14 am »
I love Enid Blyton! I use to read her books when I was younger. I especially loved The Magic Faraway Tree series with the characters Moonface and Silky. Lots of good memories reading her books  :D

I had the first book in the Magic Faraway Tree series when I was younger, and was absolutely loving it! But then my dog got hold of it one day... and we found ripped pages around the backyard for a week >:( >:(

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 02, 2012, 09:18:03 am »
A lovely story Cuilidh.

Gert I can remember the Famous Five, Secret Seven, Heidi and also Anne of Green Gables. Fell in love with Prince Edward Island.   Gosh that was a long time ago
Marie

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 02, 2012, 09:21:23 am »
I so,wanted to change my name to Heidi. And what wonderful writer was Lucy Maud Montgomery.

Oh yes we have read some wonderful,books. What memories.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 02, 2012, 09:36:26 am »
I love Enid Blyton! I use to read her books when I was younger. I especially loved The Magic Faraway Tree series with the characters Moonface and Silky. Lots of good memories reading her books  :D

I had the first book in the Magic Faraway Tree series when I was younger, and was absolutely loving it! But then my dog got hold of it one day... and we found ripped pages around the backyard for a week >:( >:(

Sounds like your dog loved it too Amy!  ;D
Katie, Perth WA

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 02, 2012, 11:18:07 am »
LOL ;D

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 02, 2012, 11:30:00 am »
Yup Mcmich And Den it just takes the right author  to come along and spark the imagination.

For me it was Enid Blyton and the Famous Five. Then Carolyn Keen and Nancy Drew.

But I really loved my Golden Books
Gert

My eldest DD was really into Enid Blyton. The girls had close friends tey spent a lot of time with when tey were young and they used to "play" The Famous Five.

I was a Hardy Boys reader Gert and I do like my Dr Sues

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45:43 am »
I liked  The Hardy Boys but I thought Dr, Seuss was too silly. I liked real stories.

Gert

Mama Fergie

« Reply #353 on: October 02, 2012, 02:06:40 pm »
Gert the word you are looking for is Ceilidh which is a party/ celebration with singing, dancing etc.
I have been to many and such fun  :)

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 02, 2012, 10:20:43 pm »
Wow 'mama fergie that is the one. Thank you.

Gert

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 02, 2012, 10:26:52 pm »
Well spotted with the similarity between ceilidh and cuilidh, Gert - cuilidh is a rarely used word now, even some of my native Gaelic speaking family were unsure of its meaning!  Organised ceilidhs are becoming popular again over in Scotland now, I believe, not quite as spontaneous as the village ones, but good to see the revival, nonetheless.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 02, 2012, 11:11:51 pm »
Looking for soe god easy reading books for our trip.

Love Michael Connely & James Patterson.
Any suggestions?

Mum to Crown Prince......

Mama Fergie

« Reply #357 on: October 02, 2012, 11:18:29 pm »
That's right Cuilidh even before I left Scotland in 1981 lots of the small towns had organized Ceilidh's on the weekends.Lots of fun with traditional Scottish dancing  :)
My husbands family are from the island of Islay and used to enjoy the casual spontaneous Ceilidh too.
Making me nostalgic now  ;)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 02, 2012, 11:29:09 pm »

I know of a 15 year old privately educated boy who prides himself in never having read a book and yet he thinks he will be going to UNI . What a joke and no doubt it will be wasting his parents money.  He can't spell and his FB page is full of expletives spelled badly. What a joke.  

Gert

Gert, it wouldn't surprise me if this were all huff and bluff because he can't read . . . even in private schools kids slip under the radar because of teachers who don't or can't recognise the signs - and then the child gets a label.  I'd be having him quietly tested for different forms of dyslexia beginning with perceptual dyslexia or Irlen Syndrome (http://www.dyslexiaservices.com.au/) - I've seen results I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen the change in the child with my own eyes!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:01:51 am by goldfish »

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 03, 2012, 12:09:17 am »
Good thinking GF. May well be the case with many kids and important to know. In this cas the kid Is just a lazy brat and so are his parents for allowing  him to stay up all night playing Black Ops  and other crap. If he can fill in a form to get I to uni I will be amazed.

Gert