Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 511894 times)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2012, 12:32:24 pm »
Thanks for the offer Katie - you read them first and if you think I'll get a laugh out of them, maybe I will take you up on that offer.  I can't believe how quickly your DH bought them for you  :D :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermobudgie

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2012, 03:17:33 pm »
I read the first 2 books of 50 Shades trilogy and will not be reading the third. The repetition drove me insane!! The amount of head cocking, smirking and peeking up really frustrated me. The book was not only poorly written but the storyline and characters were completely hollow. As for the sex *yawn* I found myself flicking ahead to get through those scenes because they were so repetative and boring.  The only good thing to come from it is this clip from Saturday Night Live. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqmofb_saturday-night-live-fifty-shades-of-grey_shortfilms

I'm currently on the third novel of Sara Donati's 'Into The Wilderness'  They are beautifully written and if you are a fan of Gabaldon then you should enjoy these. They are a sequel to The Last of The Mohicans (the film not the novel). Claire from Gabaldons Outlander series even makes a brief appearance in it.

A great paranormal series are the Shadowfever novels. I think there are 6 of them and I wasn't so sure after the first but was glad I kept on reading as the story got better and better with each book. A very delicious leading man! Much better than boring Mr Grey.  

Paulina Simmons? I think that's her name, wrote a Trilogy set in WWII Russia. The Bronze Horseman. Also a pretty good read.

I'm reading lots of free kindle books, there is a Facebook page and a blog which lets you know about the daily free kindle books. I haven't read any great ones yet but a few have been good for a quick, light read.

I have downloaded the Wool Omnibus which has had great reviews but I'm yet to start it. Will let you know how it goes once I'm done.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:25:34 pm by Thermobudgie »

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2012, 10:42:57 pm »
I'll be reading it for book club this month so have to have it finished by the end of this month ...... eeeeks, only have 2 weeks to finish last months and this months book! I'm a bit slow at the moment.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2012, 12:00:56 am »
Okay... I've decided I'm not going to read 50 Shades of Grey ;)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2012, 12:05:02 am »
You're not missing anything, Amy, apart from all the hype, it's just a load of simplistically written drivel and everyone will have fogotten about it in a couple of months (except for the author who has probably made a mountain of money!).
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2012, 12:08:37 am »
Thanks Marina :D
I'll just read some Garfield comics. I love Garfield ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2012, 01:19:11 am »
I love Garfield too... :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2012, 10:15:57 am »
The bronze horseman was a fab book. I read it about 12 yrs ago, never forgotten.
Do you mean there are more? If some what are they called please?
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:17:50 pm by Droverjess »

mcmich

« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2012, 10:27:07 am »
I've decided I'm definetly reading shades of grey but while I'm waiting for someone to lend it to me, I've started the Book of tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2012, 12:10:54 pm »
I also loved The Bronze Horseman many years ago and still remember it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2012, 12:21:34 pm »
At this very moment, I am reading Principles of Anatomy and Physiology 13th Edition by Tortora and Derrickson. These nerve impulses and sensory receptors are going to do my head in soon :o

Offline Thermobudgie

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2012, 01:47:19 pm »
The bronze horseman was a fab book. I read it about 12 yrs ago, never forgotten.
Do you mean there are more? If some what are they called please?
Thanks

Yes! There are two more. I can't remember what they are called bu I'm sure google will help you out. I would have been devestated to have finished the story at the end of book one. The second offers so much more, a lot of Alexanders history is told in the second one.

Bonsai

« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2012, 02:42:25 pm »
Just finished Haruki Kurakami's 1Q84 (a trilogy) highly recommended. About to tackle "Buzz Aldrin where were you in all the confusion?". 
Often browse bookshops and take a photo of cover on my phone if I want to remember title for later.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2012, 02:46:20 pm »
Here is more info on the bronze horseman trilogy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paullina_Simons

Will have to look for second hand, or join the library but it is quite far away.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2012, 11:14:31 pm »
If you have a Kindle you can get the Triology for pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bronze-Horseman-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B000FC10Y8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1342217553&sr=1-1&keywords=Paullina+Simons

Not a bad price for  nearly 1000 pages on a little device.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.