Author Topic: Recipe Review- Soft Buttery Pretzels. Festive Flavour  (Read 13447 times)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Recipe Review- Soft Buttery Pretzels. Festive Flavour
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:47:44 am »
Made these for lunch today. They were very easy to make and tasted great. So good in fact that DH ate the best looking ones before I could take a photo!!
The only real tweak was to reduce the quantity of the baking soda solution. I used 50g of baking soda in about 500ml of water.
Toppings.
Garlic salt & Parmeson Cheese
Bacon & Cheddar cheese
 5/5 for taste & ease of making

This is my first attempt at including a photo so fingers crossed.

Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Recipe Review- Soft Buttery Pretzels. Festive Flavour
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:41:44 am »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:20:14 am »
Great work with making AND taking a photo and most importantly - working out how to get it on here.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 09:40:51 am »
Wow, VHJ you are one clever person. I have been hanging out to make the pretzels but still haven't done so. Thanks for the review.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:16:40 am »
Hi all,

I made these today. Reviews from eldest DS was supportive, not so much from younger (but that could have been the homemade cinnamon sugar I dusted them with).

I wrapped my dough in my Silpat Mat and popped it in the oven preheated to 70 but then with just the fan on to prove (there is no warmth in Melbourne at the moment...) and the dough went quite crumbly and hard on the outside. It was all OK once I needed it all back together before rolling them out but wondered if anyone else experienced this crusting effect when wrapping their dough to rise in the Silpat (or TM) mat? I have experienced this with other doughs as well.

End result was good though. Have posted photo before we head out to friends for the real taste test.

Cheers,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:46:49 am »
Keryn only when the oven is too high have I experienced it. I would warm the oven and turn it off then put the dough in wrapped completely in a package.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 05:02:08 am »
They look lovely. I'm going to make some pretzels using the Parmesan Grissini recipe.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 05:56:42 am »
How long do these type of things stay fresh, both the pretzels and the grissini. Can they be frozen or do you have to make them as near as possible to when you want to give them to someone?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 06:52:27 am »
I only warm my oven to 40 or 50 degrees - depending which one I am using. I then turn it off. If it isn't a freezing day, I actually only turn the light on in my oven and leave the door closed - this seems to be enough. Almost need to be putting it in the fridge over here in the next week or so  :-)) :-))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:12:42 am »
How long do these type of things stay fresh, both the pretzels and the grissini. Can they be frozen or do you have to make them as near as possible to when you want to give them to someone?
JD I think that they are best when they are still warm from the oven and I expect that they won't last too long. We have a few left which I didn't take with me today so I will see how they are tomorrow and let you know.

Keryn only when the oven is too high have I experienced it. I would warm the oven and turn it off then put the dough in wrapped completely in a package.
Meagan when you say completely wrapped how do you do this with one of the mats? Do you tuck the edges under?

Thanks,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:35:52 am »
Kerryn hi,

Do you have a silpat mat or a green thermomat? The green mat you can wrap the ends over too with a silpat mat it isn't flexible enough to do that. I guess the easiest way to describe it would be like wrapping up a present :D and placing the folded edges on the under side.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 10:02:53 pm »
THanks Meagan - I do have a silpat and found it hard to see how to fold the sides, as you say. May have to return to the bowl with plastic wrap - but seems such a waste of plastic...

Will persevere.
Kerryn

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 07:24:14 am »
Judy I freeze what is left of my parmesan grissini and they are still nice when thawed. I'm going to use what is left from yesterdays lot (we did eat rather a lot of them) to put dip on on Christmas day.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 07:35:30 am »
Made these today. Thanks for sharing. I had the book and totally skipped over them as I'm still working my way through the EDC. My DS said that they were better than the bought ones. I made 6 large and we had them for lunch with salad. As we have them savoury they were a little sweet for me. Would the recipe still work if you reduced the sugar or does the yeast need this much sugar to grow?
Sue from North Queensland

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 11:09:21 am »
THanks Meagan - I do have a silpat and found it hard to see how to fold the sides, as you say. May have to return to the bowl with plastic wrap - but seems such a waste of plastic...

Will persevere.

Kerryn I sometimes use a large bowl and place the mat over it instead of glad wrap. Not sure if the silpat would work this way too?