Author Topic: Food Storage Ideas for Pantry Staples, Nuts, Seeds, etc  (Read 9253 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Food Storage Ideas for Pantry Staples, Nuts, Seeds, etc
« on: January 17, 2014, 07:34:13 am »
I've been inspired by all these people organising their pantries and posting photos lately on Facebook and want to do the same. I'm not a Tupperware person and don't want to spend a fortune on that brand however I like the practicality of it and lightness of plastic.
I understand glass jars are better and I have a few but they are too heavy and impractical for me and not great with little ones around.

I want them to organise things like nuts, seeds and pantry staples in my pantry. Ideally things that can fit inside of each when not in use. I'm thinking of just using Decor brand which is readily available and I have some of already. I like these pouring ones too but has anyone seen them in any shops NOR Perth? ( see pic in link below)Also are they on special anywhere?

I'm willing to hear other options too but not interested in really cheap stuff from Kmart, etc.

http://www.decor.com.au/usage/viewproducts.aspx?id=7321

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Food Storage Ideas for Pantry Staples, Nuts, Seeds, etc
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:49:40 am »
I'm in a similar situation to you Tasty. I tried the decor ones a few years ago and wasn't happy (the test for me is brown sugar) so transferred to glass.... but with a toddler and hard tiles they just weren't practical. I've been very happy with my Sistema ones.  I find they are often 30-50% off at the super markets and it is easy to just get one if I need it. I can take photos if you need.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Food Storage Ideas for Pantry Staples, Nuts, Seeds, etc
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:34:51 am »
Tasty I have the Decor ones in my pantry, white lids and clear I think they are exactly the same and they do not seal properly I'm very disappointed with them I bought 4 sets when I put in the new kitchen look nice , but....terrible to get seal to stay down.   I have some Sistema they are good, I have found a temporary clearance shop set up at the local shopping centre which has Locknlock at 20% off so am buying some of these each week they are great.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:57:14 am »
Thanks ladies. It's good to know the seal doesn't work properly. . . you have saved me some money.

Have seen Sistema and will check out their range online since they are good and easy to get a hold of.

Have heard about lock and lock and will look into them again.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:45:31 am »
I'm a Tupperware tragic tasty. I think the modular mates are brilliant in the pantry and worth the initial outlay. I was lucky enough to buy gradually before I got married, so had a few to start me off. I then held a party or two and was able to purchase them cheaper. I know they are expensive but worth it in the long run. Twelve years of constant use and they still seal perfectly each time. Maybe check out some op shops, you might be able to pick them up there.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 11:34:25 am »
Tasty I have Decor in my pantry. They are clear and have clear lids. I have had them since we built this house, nearly 10 years and I have been very happy with them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:39:03 am »
I am a tupperware tragic too. Have parties etc. the thing I like too is when lids split they are repalced free of charge. Any problems and I get new tupperware  on any of my pieces, even had mums tupperware replaced from 30 years ago :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 01:52:32 pm »
I'd really like to stick with Decor as I have had my rectangular ones for a while too but the pour and store ones don't sound too good. I had an issue like that with the mini round ones I bought.

I won't be buying Tupperware regardless of positive comments. It's just not me and apparently they have BPA in them.

Does Sistema have BPA?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 02:10:13 pm »
Found this Tasty. :)
Sistema Plastics
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 02:32:01 pm »
Thanks CC. I was going to get around to doing that at some stage but didn't. It's good that they don't have BPS too. I just don't know if I like the design enough though. Will check it out tomorrow at Woollies.

Bonsai

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 02:33:33 pm »
I have quite a few plastic 'bottles' with screw top lids which originally stored rice or sugar when purchased in supermarket. They are great for other dry goods (store about 1kg). I use a few systema containers, some very old Tupperware (I think it's overpriced but haven't bought any for 20 years so might be wrong), some decor ones, some from Ikea....  Function over style for me. I do keep some things in glass jars but don't have little kids around. My flour and rice are stored in a couple of very large plastic boxes with lids so all the different types can live together in their own bags - saves a lot of searching around and keeps bugs out.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 07:53:48 pm »
I'm gradually transferring everything to glass.  Whilst it is not the lightest and not always the most convenient in shape / size, I am happier with it.  I am sure, in the dim and distant past, there has been a similar thread on here discussing the pros and cons of various plastic containers vs. glass, but couldn't track it down.  Of the few plastic containers in my pantry, I have Sistema and Lock'n'lock, I like them both and have never had problems with either of the brands.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline beyondbeeton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 09:12:20 am »
I have a combination of Tupperware and sistema. I don't think decor seal well. I've been told that Kmart have ones similar to Tupperware which have great seals and are obviously much cheaper. I need a few more so I will give them a go.
Mum to two hungry boys born Dec 2010 and July 2013.

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 09:29:33 am »
I like the Sistema because they are made in NZ. I will not put my food in things made in China, as I just don't trust what they put in their things. I also have Lock n lock which is good & it was made in Korea, but I noticed that a lot of it is now made in China, so I won't buy it.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 09:47:07 am »
I love lock and lock. I often see them cheap on sites like Buyinvite and tvsn. I only buy on special. I'm not impressed with the sistema. I find the clips cone off too easy and are fiddly.