Author Topic: Your "Go to" Salad for hot summer nights?  (Read 21473 times)

Offline ELH05

• View Profile
Your "Go to" Salad for hot summer nights?
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:52:22 pm »
Mods - please move if in wrong spot - my 1st post!

I'm a TM newbie - actually 2 days new !  It's a hot Perth at the moment and sick of garden salad, potato salad & coleslaw - what's your face TM fresh tasting summer cold salad ???  I'm after some inspiration !

Thanks

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Re: Your "Go to" Salad for hot summer nights?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:41:20 pm »
There are some nice Asian salads in the Dinner Spinner app that I have made recently such as the Vietnamese Chicken Salad.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 05:38:55 pm »
hello and welcome to the forum ELH05

Why not pop over to 'Introduce Yourself' on the home page and tell us a bit about yourself

uni
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:50:44 pm »
My two favourites besides the ones you mention aren't really TM ones but I will share them here.

The first is the very 1980's Layered Garden Salad:
http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/food/cookingtips/776608/layered-garden-salad

and the second is one that has been handed down through my family:

boil two eggs and keep the yolks aside and chop the whites finely and add the whites to some finely chopped iceberg or cos lettuce and then make a salad dressing by combining the egg yolks (mash these with a fork), sprinkling of sugar (about a tsp), a glug of brown vinegar and stir in some thickened cream until you get a nice dressing.  Taste for seasonings if needed, sorry I don't have the exact amounts as I have been making this since I was a kid and it has been a bit of this and a bit of that  :P

Sharon
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:46:41 pm »
Last night I tossed pumpkin, potato, zuchini& red onion in some oil, then into oven,  served it on a bed of baby spinach & crumbled some feta on, yummmmm.

Yes the heat is getting to us all for sure.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:27:22 pm »

Hi ELH05, welcome to the forum.

My favourite salad is Asian noodle salad, there are 2 versions here.  Read the recipe carefully as you only dress and put together amounts as required - it will last for several days this way.
Beetroot salad from the EDC is excellent.
Curried Pasta Salad

The modern idea of salads is so different from what we are used to, they are layered with different ingredients (including meat)and a dressing poured over the top.  You will find salads such as this in both Dinner Spinner and Quick Fix in the Mix. The Chicken Salad with Vietnamese dressing from Dinner Spinners is excellent.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:40:05 pm »
If you are feeling lazy and want something very simple,  try my 2 second salad.  You can  change the veggies.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 04:29:19 am »
Welcome ELH05. I must agree with the layered salad, it isa lovely. I'm very naughty I love a WW book called salads. I don't own it and probably wouldn't buy it but I do borrow it from the library. There are lots of lovely salads in there. It's worth it for the weather we are having at the moment. Do you think it will rain with all this cloud round?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 05:34:34 am »
What a good idea Cookie - I certainly don't need anymore non-TMX cookbooks but never thought to borrow some from the library  :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 06:06:03 am »
Hally your salad sounds delish. I wish my men (DS7 and DH) would eat pumpkin and fetta   >:(
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline chicksta44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 09:23:08 am »
Hi guys. This is not made in Tmx but super easy and delish - from one of the free magazines from woolies or Coles. Can't remember which one.  1 oak lettuce washed and torn up, 1 mango cubed, 1 avocado sliced, 2 tbsp slivered almonds, 2 tbsp cranberries mix all together in a bowl. Dressing is 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp white wine vinegar mixed in a jar and poured over the top! Light and fresh and perfect for a hot summer night. Can add a chick breast steamed in varoma and cooled then sliced on the top! Yum yum.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 12:04:35 pm »
My fave is roast sweet potato cubes, toasted pine nuts and feta tossed with baby spinach. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar if desired.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 01:36:19 pm »
http://tenina.com/?p=3940 this is one of my faves, and heres another great one…if you like chicken!
http://tenina.com/?p=4039

SO over the humidity in Perth….

Offline Tam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 04:00:40 am »
My two favourites besides the ones you mention aren't really TM ones but I will share them here.

The first is the very 1980's Layered Garden Salad:
http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/food/cookingtips/776608/layered-garden-salad

and the second is one that has been handed down through my family:

boil two eggs and keep the yolks aside and chop the whites finely and add the whites to some finely chopped iceberg or cos lettuce and then make a salad dressing by combining the egg yolks (mash these with a fork), sprinkling of sugar (about a tsp), a glug of brown vinegar and stir in some thickened cream until you get a nice dressing.  Taste for seasonings if needed, sorry I don't have the exact amounts as I have been making this since I was a kid and it has been a bit of this and a bit of that  :P

Sharon
OOH, I love that Garden Salad.......I only just discovered it recently and we really love it too - beautiful with TM mayo...... ;D

mcmich

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 04:22:35 am »
I know this is an oldie but the beetroot salad is a super easy, light and colourful salad.