Author Topic: Removing pen stain from sheets?  (Read 7651 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Removing pen stain from sheets?
« on: November 17, 2012, 06:19:14 am »
My little one found a pen and started drawing on the sheets one day this week. I was wondering if Miracle Spray would remove this?

Apparently you are supposed to use milk but so far after soaking it in that, I haven't noticed a difference.

The ink colour is black and the sheets are a beige colour. Any tips?

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: Removing pen stain from sheets?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:00:27 am »
Hi Tasty
Have been checking my Shannon lush books and it depends on the type of pen.  This is for ball point pens
"Ink stain on fabric
What to use: Milk, detergent, water;, or dry cleaning fluid, cotton ball, talcum powder.
How to apply: Rot the milk by leaving it in the sun until solids form. The time this takes varies according to the weather and the age of the milk.  Place the solids on the stain leave until you see the ink start to rise up in the solids, then wash the solids out using detergent and water.  You can also use dry-cleaning fluid applied with a cotton ball on either side of the stain.  If you can't get underneath the stain, sprinkle talcum powder over the dry-cleaning fluid to absorb it"
It is also mention in another of her books to use methylated spirits, or white spirits for permanent markers.  Hope this may help.
Marie

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:25:34 am »
Thanks Marie. I also have her book with this advice. Her advice didn't work for me with red wine stain on a shirt so unfortunately, I don't trust what she writes. Miracle spray, on the other hand, has worked very well.

As for drycleaning fluid, where do you get that?

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 09:09:05 am »
Some hardware stores stock it.  It is called Murlex and I think it is still available.  Have you tried methylated spirit.  I think I would try and just sponge it on rather than rubbing it and use paper towel at the back. I will check on some other books I have and see if I can find anything else that may help.
Marie

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:21:25 am »
I have two small 'artists' in the house and will now not be without a bottle of eucalyptus oil. It is AMAZING at getting rid of pen from all manner of things.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:38:02 am »
I like eucalyptus oil too, but be careful puting it on coloured fabrics.  I used it once on a denim jacket of DS and it took the colour out and was left with a white patch.  It is great though for cleaning quite a few things.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:52 am »
Thanks Brumington. I had a bottle of eucalyptus oil and it said to put two capfuls in the wash which I did and voila....all gone and no damage to the sheets! I love the help of the members of this forum. So far two success stories with stains  ;D

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 09:47:38 am »
Thanks Brumington. I had a bottle of eucalyptus oil and it said to put two capfuls in the wash which I did and voila....all gone and no damage to the sheets! I love the help of the members of this forum. So far two success stories with stains  ;D

More than welcome. I love the stuff and will never be without it in the house. It's also very good used neat to get pen off of white walls!  ;D

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 02:09:29 am »
Great tip...I read this thread for the answer, not the question.  :-[
Rude aren't I.
I have pen on 4 sets of white sheets - all of them from the visitor beds.  :( (not done by visitors tho!!  ;) ) - so will be trying eucalyptus oil in the very next load. Thanx!  :D
:D

Offline disaster chef

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 12:14:01 pm »
You used to be able to buy a pen removal liquid from the supermarket in the laundry aisle.