Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8926896 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #33930 on: December 10, 2019, 07:34:02 am »
Gosh, everyone is baking and cooking up a storm and all I’m doing is going to Christmas break-ups or eating out of the freezer!  Great idea Julie, it looks so tasty.  Panettone looks gorgeous Chookie, I remember when I made them - I loved them.  My jam and marmalade  making is all finished for the year (I hope) with the nursing home trading table earlier in the year and my SIL was in Adelaide for just a day so he took as many jars back as covered his weight allowance.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33931 on: December 10, 2019, 05:49:01 pm »
Superb Panettone Chookie.👌 Love the idea of your veggie stock granules JulieO 👍

I made a loaf of bread, Cheese and  Cauliflower Soup and Strawberry and Vanilla jam. Scrounged an empty jar and jam funnel from our neighbour as most of my kitchen stuff is in storage 🙄
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #33932 on: December 10, 2019, 09:09:17 pm »
Julie great idea and saves space in the freezer.  Last year I dried  Plums into paste sheets.  I add these to the protein balls. Must try the eggs in the pie maker.   

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #33933 on: December 11, 2019, 02:46:36 am »
Julie great idea and saves space in the freezer.  Last year I dried  Plums into paste sheets.  I add these to the protein balls. Must try the eggs in the pie maker.

I've seen a strawberry fruit leather recipe that I want to try after Christmas when everything has calmed down.  :)

My vacuum sealer  stopped working a few months ago and I have missed it, so I ordered a new one the other day, should be here by Friday/Monday.

This one has a lot of good reviews.
https://www.luvele.com.au/collections/vacuum-sealers/products/luvele-deluxe-pro-vacuum-sealer

I've also been eyeing off their yoghurt incubators but all sold out until early January.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What are you cooking today?
« Reply #33934 on: December 11, 2019, 07:55:22 am »
Lovely Panettone and what a brilliant idea to do the vegetable granules JulieO.
I soaked fruit in marsala too Chookie, but I used about 100ml. I left it for nearly 3 days. I made the Panettone this afternoon but forgot to reduce the milk in the recipe. Hence they are quite cake like. I haven't had one yet, but I'[m sure I will cave in and have one tonight.
Yesterday the cake tin was empty so I made the fruit and seed loaf that was in last week's Woolworths catalogue. I reduced the sugar a bit. It looks delicious but I haven't tried it yet.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 08:19:08 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #33935 on: December 11, 2019, 11:35:36 pm »
Love swapping ideas with such good cooks.  Julie I followed your DH method of cooking breakfast eggs in pie maker.  Wonderful. Thank him.  I also cooked a tomato cut in half to go with my egg. ( home grown egg of course)

This reminds me, Dories Greenspan suggests baking cookies in muffin tins if you want an even size.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What are you cooking today?
« Reply #33936 on: December 12, 2019, 03:36:51 am »
I cooked RTE Pastrami yesterday to have for lunch today. I have made a batch of Chookie’s No Fuss rolls this morning and put the ruby chocolate topping on my mini icecream puddings.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 03:38:26 am by cookie1 »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #33937 on: December 12, 2019, 06:29:22 am »
Love swapping ideas with such good cooks.  Julie I followed your DH method of cooking breakfast eggs in pie maker.  Wonderful. Thank him.  I also cooked a tomato cut in half to go with my egg. ( home grown egg of course)

This reminds me, Dories Greenspan suggests baking cookies in muffin tins if you want an even size.

I will let him know when he gets home from work Chookie.  He's got the timing just right for how he likes his eggs.  ;D

Cookie, I had a look at the Woolies fruit cake on line.  Nice and simple and not too big.  I've tucked that recipe aside for another time.  Cute little puddings. :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33938 on: December 12, 2019, 08:49:12 am »
I reduced the sugar in the cake JulieO as I felt with the fruit in it a lot wasn’t needed. I think I halved it. I worked out if you cut the cake into 20 slices (I halved it length way first) it has 172 calories in it. I used My Fitness Pal.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #33939 on: December 12, 2019, 11:50:21 am »
Wow the panettone look great Chookie . JulieO those vegetables granules are revolutionary ! So much baking well done .

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #33940 on: December 13, 2019, 08:23:34 am »
Thanks for your tips Cookie, they've been noted :)

A day off cooking today.  We went out for lunch as it's our anniversary next week, so we went out a week early to avoid the busyness of Christmas.  Back into it tomorrow  :D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 01:29:57 pm by JulieO »

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #33941 on: December 14, 2019, 12:07:48 am »
I have been busy in the kitchen this week.  A batch of Walnut Refrigerator Biscuits, another ten jars apricot jam, Boiled Pineapple Fruit cake, Apple Crumble Cake.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33942 on: December 14, 2019, 08:15:13 am »
Phew Margaret.
JulieO it is our anniversary right after Christmas. 27th.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #33943 on: December 14, 2019, 10:04:41 pm »
Ours on the 21st Cookie!  We usually go out for lunch but it's always so busy with Christmas work parties going on everywhere which is why we went early instead.  Was a great decision and will do so again.  :D

Mab, if you like marmalade, the one on Cookidoo 'Campari orange marmalade' is so good.  Doesn't make a lot but it's really lovely.   

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #33944 on: December 14, 2019, 11:53:40 pm »
Mab, if you like marmalade, the one on Cookidoo 'Campari orange marmalade' is so good.  Doesn't make a lot but it's really lovely.

Thanks for that JulieO.  I'm not really keen on marmalade except for ginger marmalade, but I will check it out.

A friend brought me in 3 large bags of broad beans last night.  We podded them after dinner and I blanched them all this morning and put them in the freezer.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.