Author Topic: Quick Fix - Every Occasion, Espresso Panna Cotta p 69  (Read 13264 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Fix - Every Occasion, Espresso Panna Cotta p 69
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 11:39:07 am »
I just looked at the recipe Chocolatte and it's a bit confusing.  How do you measure 1/4 of a tablespoon of gelatine to do the coffee layer ???   

I then found this which blows my theory out the door that there are 3 tspns in a tablespoon. Reading this, I can see how you can quarter a tablespoon quite easily but then you said this amount wasn't enough to set that amount of liquid. 

"In most regions including the U.S one tablespoon equals three teaspoons. In Australia, however, one tablespoon is four teaspoons. In Asia a tablespoon is equivalent to 2 teaspoons.

Some countries such as U.S, Canada and the U.K teaches that one tablespoon = 15 mL which would be the same as 3 teaspoons however, in Australia, one tablespoon = 20 mL, so therefore 4 teaspoons."
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:24 pm »
I thought 1/4 of a tablespoon was a very odd thing to specify in an Australian cookbook. I thought there are four 5ml teaspoons in an Australian 20 ml tablespoon, so just used 1 level teaspoon in the coffee layer. I used Mackenzie brand gelatine and found that 1 level teaspoon was not enough. I will use 1 1/4 teaspoons next time, maybe even 1 1/2 teaspoons.

It wouldn't matter if the vanilla layer is not quite set enough because you are serving it in a glass, but the coffee layer needs to be set firm enough to support the weight of the vanilla layer.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 07:50:11 am »
I actually have a set of measuring spoons that I bought here in Australia that are incorrect. They have a tablespoon as 15 ml which is 5 ml short. I now use them for UK recipes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 11:29:02 am »
I've just worked out one of tablespoons is 15ml ... Never knew there was difference

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 07:31:52 am »
That will be handy for UK recipes. Buy a 20 ml one for Australian recipes. It is silly that you can buy both here.

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 05:06:41 am »
Has anyone else made this? What do you think of the instructions? I'm finding that gelatine in cold milk just goes lumpy.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 03:00:25 am »
Chocolatte - I just looked back thru my recipe book and I haven't made any notes to say mine went lumpy (I always write in my books as I make things)
So it must have smoothed out (?) when I mixed it in step 8 of the recipe.

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 02:19:39 am »
Thanks for the reply nikkit, I made the espresso panna cotta again just now.

I used a fresh tin of Wards gelatine. One heaped  teaspoon was not enough to set the coffee layer. I left the coffee layer to set in the fridge overnight so it certainly had plenty of time. I am annoyed because this batch is for guests. Hopefully they will taste OK. I just wanted them to look perfect too. I should have made a note in my recipe book .

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 03:32:23 am »
That's so disappointing when you are cooking for visitors Chocolatte.  I prefer using gelatine sheets when making pannacotta.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 11:53:42 am »
I ended up calling them Espresso Twirl Pannacotta, but really I was embarrassed to serve them. Not only did the coffee layer not set, I was worried that the vanilla layer would not set either so I put a little extra gelatine in that layer. Bad move. The vanilla layer was like rubber in comparison to the coffee layer.  I think I will leave that recipe for a while......

Bonsai

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 02:15:49 pm »
How frustrating for you Chocolatte. I haven't tried the recipe so can't comment on the problem you had but certainly understand the 'aagh' moment especially what visitors are involved (I had a similar experience recently with creme brûlée)

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 03:29:23 am »
I made this during the week.  Really yummy.  Not too rich.  The only change I made was that I added a just a little espresso to the top layer as well. 

My bottom layer set within 2 hours and the top took a little longer but was all done on the day it was served.

Definitely a keeper recipe.
I do the best I can

Offline blackwood

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2015, 02:19:34 pm »
Just reading through the reviews on this recipe and it's gone straight to number 1 priority of my list of things to make! Will be doing it tomorrow!
I've got a brand of gelatine called "Great Lakes" which I've heard good things about on a few of the blogs (Quirky Cooking was one of them from memory) Possibly the type of gelatine you use could have a big impact on how it sets (and tastes?)

Will report back once I make it to see if it sets ok! :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 05:11:29 am »
I'll look forward to reading the results.