Author Topic: Recipe review - Hot cross buns EDC - with photos :)  (Read 102750 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Recipe review - Hot cross buns EDC - with photos :)
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 10:46:12 am »
These buns look terrific.  I paid $1.30 for one bun at bakers delight :-)) :-)) :-))     These look much better and I'll bet they taste better.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 02:29:22 pm »
They look fantastic Ceejay- now where is my EDC ....
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 10:52:48 pm »
Had plenty of praise from a male friend who was lucky enough to visit in time to try them.... so it's definitely not just me!  :D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 06:28:50 am »
Good work Ceejay - they do look great
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 03:08:59 am »
Made these over the weekend as per the EDC & they turned out beautifully. Didn't get to take a photo as they all disappeared too quickly. Will be making them again.
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 05:31:02 am »
Any tips on making sure the fruit doesn't burn?  I find that my buns are just done, but any sultanas on the outside of the buns have blown into little balloons and are burnt.  It's such a huge waste of sultanas.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 05:44:48 am »
I snuggle mine together in the tin so they touch. Then they become a pull apart type thing so it reduces the surface area that the fruit is exposed. I didn't find that there was too much fruit on the top of the buns. Maybe try the snuggle approach & push in any exposed fruit before cooking. It's worth persevering as they are delish (as they run to my hips  ;D ;D)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 11:26:48 am »
I reduce the amount of fruit in these buns and I push it into the middle before baking. I am hoping to try the hot cross bun recipe from Quirky Jo's blog this week.  :)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 12:27:47 am »
I reduce the amount of fruit in these buns and I push it into the middle before baking. I am hoping to try the hot cross bun recipe from Quirky Jo's blog this week.  :)
Thanks Chelsea, two things for me to try.  I wondered whether that would work, but wasn't sure about the end result of the shape.  I missed Quirky's recipe so I'll have to have a look.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 01:02:09 am »
I didn't have an issue with the fruit burning at all... do you have an oven thermometer?  I'm thinking the temperature may be a tad hot.....  :-\
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.

musingnmayhem

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 01:46:06 am »
You ladies are saving soooooooo much money.   Latest report, $15 for 6,  Phillipa's :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 03:10:01 am »
Thanks Chelsea, two things for me to try.  I wondered whether that would work, but wasn't sure about the end result of the shape.  I missed Quirky's recipe so I'll have to have a look.

You can always stretch the dough out a teeny bit and then gently fold under the side with the most fruit (making a nice round bun with the joins underneath).  A little like Isi's Portuguese rolls but in a more gentle fashion.  When I do this I leave them to rise for an extra ten minutes or so and I haven't noticed any taste or texture difference.  :)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 03:54:41 am »
You ladies are saving soooooooo much money.   Latest report, $15 for 6,  Phillipa's :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
:o

Brumby's is still $6.50 a half dozen...

Another batch is proving on the bench right now....  ;)

musingnmayhem

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 04:12:15 pm »
Could somebody kindly post the recipe, we don't have this recipe in Spain, and I am drooling! :P :P :P
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 11:22:48 pm »
HOT CROSS BUNS

20g citrus peel or glazed peel
250g warm milk
500g bakers flour
1 tspn salt
70g butter
45g sugar
1 egg
20g fresh yeast or 15g dry yeast (2 sachets)
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1.5 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
100g sultanas
70g currants or dry cranberries

Place lemon peel into TM bowl and pulverise for 10 sec on speed 10. Remove and set aside.
Place milk into TM bowl and cook for 50 sec/90oC speed 1.
Place remaining ingredients into the bowl excluding the sultanas and currants and mix for 6 sec/speed 7. Set dial to closed lid position and knead for 2 - 3 mins/interval setting.
Add sultanas and currants and mix for 10 seconds/speed 5.
Put in a warm place to prove for 1-1.5 hours.  Dough should approximately double in size.
Cut and shape into dinner roll size buns.  Place buns close together on a greased baking tray, cover and let prove for a further 10-15 minutes. (It is recommended that this be 30 minutes by those who have tried this recipe.)
Pipe with crosses and bake in a pre-heated oven at 220oC for 10-15 mins until a golden colour.  Brush with hot sugar syrup while still warm.

Piping Mixture - 80g plain flour, pinch salt, 1tsp light olive oil, 100g water (although people recommend using less water.
Place all ingredients into TM bowl and mix to combine for 30 seconds on speed 4 to obtain a pancake consistency mixture.  Pour into a piping bag and pipe out the crosses onto the buns.

Sugar syrup - 2 tblspns water & 2 tblspns sugar.  Place both ingredients into the bowl and cook for 2 mins/100oC/speed 4.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:25:03 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.