Author Topic: Pie Making  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Pie Making
« on: March 22, 2016, 04:41:54 am »
I have a very naïve question.  Until getting my TMX I had never had any luck making pastry so never made it, therefore, I have NEVER made a pie!  When I got my TMX, pastry making became a breeze – except for the fact it has taken a long time for me to find what I hope to be suitable vegan pastry recipes.  I think I now have a good short pastry recipe as well as a flaky pastry recipe. 

I do not have a pie maker.

So, my question is, if I am making a pie do I have to pre-cook the base pastry before adding the filling (and how do I do that?) or simply put the ‘raw’ pastry in the tin, put the mixture on top then the flaky pastry on top of that?  What is the best method?  Any help would be appreciated.

I know I should google / Youtube this question, but I prefer to get real advice from people I know!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pie Making
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 06:18:20 am »
I usually pre cook my base for 5-10 minutes Marina. They say to line the base with baking paper and rice or something to stop it rising. I just prick mine all over with a fork and it seems to work for me. Then put the filling in and the top on.
This is what works for me.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Re: Pie Making
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:02:03 am »
I never blind bake my pie crust unless the recipe says to.