Author Topic: Salsa rosa (Marie Rose sauce)  (Read 6484 times)

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
Salsa rosa (Marie Rose sauce)
« on: April 29, 2012, 01:52:18 pm »
Name of Recipe:  Salsa rosa (Marie Rose sauce) – not tested

Serves:  Makes 500g

Ingredients:  
3 egg yolks
The juice of ½ an orange
80g tomato ketchup
2 tbsps brandy
A few dashes of Tabasco
Salt
300g oil

Preparation:  
Put all of the ingredients into the bowl except for the oil, and mix 10 seconds / Speed 4
With the MC in place, set to Speed 4 and pour the oil, little by little, onto the lid

Tips/Hints:  If you like, you can add half a teaspoon of horseradish

Origin:  This is a translation of a recipe in Thermomix TM31 – Imprescindible para tu cocina which is the book supplied with Spanish TMXs.
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Salsa rosa (Marie Rose sauce)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:13:12 pm »
JB, does it say what you would use this sauce over?  If not, what would you think yourself?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:04:41 am »
It doesn't say, I'm afraid JD.  Retro food is having a bit of a come-back in the UK, so I suppose it could be used mix with prawns to make a prawn cocktail.  This particular recipe is more mayonnaise based than the normal Marie Rose sauce recipe, so I suppose it could be used in the same way as mayonnaise in things such as pasta based salads etc.  One day, I'll actually get around to testing some of these recipes so that I can make more informed comments ;D

JB

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:33:50 pm »
Good, thanks JB.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:33:06 pm »
I just googled marie rose sauce and it is supposed to be a combination of ketchup and mayonnaise - similar to thousand island dressing.

Wikipedia extract below:

Marie Rose sauce (known in some areas as cocktail sauce, seafood sauce, ketchyo, maychup, ketchanaise, burger sauce, fancy sauce or dip) is a British condiment made from a blend of ketchup and mayonnaise, although it can have other ingredients as well. It is often used with seafood, and prawns in particular, it is also popular on the American burger; this was reflected when Giles Coren said: "Prawn cocktail dripping with Marie Rose sauce is, probably, most symbolic of 70s cuisine. Despite popular belief Russian dressing, although demonstrating many of the physical and chemical properties of Marie Rose, is a completely separate condiment and should be treated as such."[1]
In the United States and Canada a similar sauce, called Thousand Island dressing is served, this recipe originated from the Thousand Islands in Ontario Canada.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »
Thanks snappy, good find.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 02:18:51 pm »
Just realised what I wrote!  When I said 'This particular recipe is more mayonnaise based than the normal Marie Rose sauce recipe', I didn't mean that at all :(  I meant say something to the effect that the British recipe doesn't include orange juice.  Of course, they are both mayonnaise based and you can see my usual recipe here http://www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/Prawn_cocktail_%282%29 I haven't converted it for TM yet as have only made it conventionally.

Thanks for the mention of 100 Island Dressinf, Snappy as I just love it!  Yes, it is similar to Marie Rose Sauce but has bits in it, but cannot remember what.  Gherkins perhaps? Would love a TM recipe for it, if anyone has one?

JB

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:28:11 pm »
Hi JB - there's one here but it's in German - I've kind of figured out the English - but maybe someone who has a good grasp of the language can help here . . . .

http://rezeptwelt.de/rezepte/thousand-island-dressing/32726