Author Topic: Review - Best Coconut Butter Cake - EDC  (Read 26458 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Best Coconut Butter Cake - EDC
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 12:52:49 am »
CC, you can use fresh passionfruit pulp if you can't get the cans.  As a substitute if you can't get either maybe try the same weight of canned mango or pineapple, pureed with a bit of the juice to make a pouring consistency as the canned passionfruit is very runny. If you use any of these ingredients in their fresh form you may need to use more water than stated as the syrup needs to be of a pouring consistency.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 10:26:14 am »
Thanks Judy, I will see what I come up with. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 09:28:53 am »
Have to agree the recipe posted bt JD was sooooooooo delicious!!  Thaks JD.
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 04:45:50 am »
I agree with JD.  I hadn't made the "best ever butter cake until Friday.  I did it with some frozen raspberries plopped on the top & it took about 55 mins to bake. It was a bit overdone on the corners (I used a 23cm square silicon baking "tin") - which I don't find a problem as I like the crunchy bits.  It was tasty but I'd definitely cook it at a lower temp next time.  What am I saying??? Next time I'll go back to Nico's one as it's totally scrummy  :)
One of my customers has also had a problem with it not cooking in the time said.....

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 05:01:22 am »
Good to see you back in the saddle.  Thanks for the review. Stiil recall you washing dishes while everyone swooned over Nico ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 07:17:29 am »
Yeah but then I got to sell his cookbooks & got some "personal attention"!!!

Eeek - that looks SO wrong now! I just meant I didn't get to not talk to him at all.  He's great  ;D

Funniest guest speaker we've had that I've seen was Chef Laurent - it was like an episode from The Muppets!!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 08:54:04 am »
LOL - I know lots of ladies who would have liked to have had soem personal attention.  We went to Italy with him  ;)

Wish I'd managed to get to chef Laurent's night.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 07:28:33 pm »
I have to tell you guys that Nico Moretti's Coconut Cake is the best one I have ever tasted.  The recipe is on a leaflet I received when I went to his first cooking class in Adelaide but is also in his book Cooking Passions: Food for Friends in which some of the recipes he has added conversions for the TMX. At our class he did not say we could not post his recipes done that night but from then on he did so I am going to be very brave and post this one. You will love it, my DD whips it up all the time and has even had to give the non-TMX version to her friends who are not lucky enough to have a TMX.

Cake Ingredients
170g raw sugar
120g butter
150g self raising flour
50g desiccated coconut
1 egg
60g milk
60g coconut milk

Ingredients - syrup
170g tin passionfruit pulp
50g water
60g sugar

150g whipping cream to serve

Pre-heat oven to 180oC.  Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.  Place sugar into TM bowl and pulverise for 5 seconds on speed 9. Set aside.
Add butter to bowl and melt for 2 mins at 60o on speed 2.
Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix for 30 seconds on speed 5.
Pour into cake tin and bake for 30 minutes in a fan forced oven or until a skewer withdraws dry when tested (may take longer in some ovens - should be golden brown on top). Allow to stand in the tin for 10 mins before turning onto a wire rack to cool.  Wash and dry TM bowl.

To make syrup - place passionfruit pulp, water and sugar into TM bowl and cook for 7 mins at 100o on speed 4.
Allow to cool and thicken before serving.

Whip the cream and add 40g cooled syrup if you would like passionfruit flavoured cream.
Pour syrup over the entire cake (skewer all over first so syrup can soak into cake) or put over individual pieces as desired and serve with whipped cream.

Nico says this recipe can be doubled if required and there is no need for extra cooking time but DD has never done this.
I made jd's version of Coconut Cake but I had a senior moment and instead of serving the syrup with the cake I decided to pour the syrup over the warm cake. :-[ It was fine and tasted delicious.Everyone who has had a piece thinks so too. Infact DH is gobbling a slice at this very moment.  :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 07:49:27 am »
Thanks for your receipe, JD.  This is a regular!  Easily double the recipe in one go, using 20cm square pan and 20cm round.  One recipe of syrup is enough for both.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 11:07:20 am »
Another tip I've recently learned about is the teflon cake strips.  Good for a dense cake that needs slow cooking.  I have never had much success with the Torte Caprese & always dreaded being asked to make one for a Cooking Class or similar event.  With the teflon cake strips my last one was perfect.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 12:18:53 am »
JD's recipe is one of my fav.  Have made this many times, last time I didn't have coconut milk, but replace milk and coconut milk with carnation light evaporated coconut flavour.  Works really well.  Thanks again, JD.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 07:01:48 am »
Oh pooh! I didn't read this review before making the EDC Best Coconut Cake!

It's in the oven and I've reduced the temperature to 150C fan forced, so hopefully it will cook through without getting too crunchy on the outside.
I reduced the sugar to 200g.

I want a cake to send out with lunches, not a dessert cake. Nico's sounds more like a dessert cake.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 08:01:46 am »
Turned out beautifully!  ;D

My tweaks: 

Reduce sugar to 200g
Bake for 1 hour on 150C fan forced.

Served sliced with butter. Nom nom!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline lauzzie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 06:38:43 am »
I have made this cake several times also and it definitely needs the 20 x 30 tin not the square cake tin.   I found the square cake tin made the cake too high and therefore it didnt cook properly but in the oblong tin it was perfect.   

Also I have always wondered are the recipes in the TM Cookbooks written for fanforced ovens or should be reduce by 10 degrees if we are using fanforced???

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 07:20:32 am »
I always reduce by 20 degrees in my fan forced oven.  Moderate is 160 degrees in my oven.  :)