Author Topic: German Plum Cake  (Read 10560 times)

Offline pammo

• View Profile
German Plum Cake
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:59:32 am »
Pflaumenkuchen (Plumcake):  Great for the late summer glut of Blood Plums (Satsumas) or Prune Plums...or if you've frozen some from last year's glut!!!
Number of People: 8 to 10
Ingredients:
Dough:
400g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
125g sugar - white
125g butter
2 eggs
5 Tbspns milk

Fruit:
1.5kg plums, seeded & quartered (traditionally prune-plums, but it is actually just as good with blood plums such as satsumas)
120g sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preparation:
First, preheat oven to 200oC, and grease a large deep baking tray or ceramic dish (eg., like one you'd use for a big lasagna). Then make the dough by placing flour, baking powder and sugar into the TM bowl.  Blend on speed 4 for 20 seconds.
Add the butter, eggs and milk and mix speed 6 for 30 seconds. "Knead" on  :: for 1 minute. You should have a thick pastry-like dough, which you now need to roll or spread onto the baking tray/dish.
Place the quartered plums, skin side down, on the dough then place the dish in hot oven and cook for 30 minutes. Remove, allow to cool a little, then sprinkle with sugar & cinnamon.  Enjoy as is or with yoghurt or cream.

Photos:
Sorry, I didn't get to photograph before the hungry hoards descended!

Tips/Hints:
You can 'go the extra mile' and top the plums with a 'struesel', which comprises 150g flour, 125g sugar, 125g butter and a pinch of cinnamon.  Whiz in TM for 20 seconds, speed 4, then sprinkle this over the fruit before baking.  Adds another dimension (and a few extra kJs) but the plain variety is very tasty.

Adapted from a recipe given to me by Stefi from Germany.

members' comments

Trudy - I just wanted to let you know how much we enjoyed this cake.  It makes a huge amount so I cooked half with plums and half with peaches.  Both nice. Thanks for the recipe.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:23:03 am by judydawn »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: German Plum Cake
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:16:48 pm »
sounds interesting - thank pam!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:12:24 pm »
I love Plum Cake - thanks it looks like it was a big hit with the hungry hoards  ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 03:16:07 pm »
YUMMO  :o

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 06:21:44 am »
Hi Pammo,

I just wanted to let you know how much we enjoyed this cake.  It makes a huge amount so I cooked half with plums and half with peaches.  Both nice!!!

Thanks for the recipe
Trudy