Author Topic: hi - needing some reassurance!  (Read 23797 times)

Offline mum23

• View Profile
hi - needing some reassurance!
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:45:41 am »
Hi to all,

I hosted a demo last week, and made the plunge to order my "thermy" on Friday, but haven't done so "officially yet because i am yet to do a bank deposit to pay. In the mean time all week end i am second guessing myself whether or not i will use this fantastic machine! I have stalked thermomix on google and been over this forum heaps, and still yet to find a bad word about Thermy but i still can't help but be nervous! My main concern is I am very weight conscious and try to avoid carbs in my eating, and so i am wondering will it be any use to me? I do have 3 kids so i am hoping i can use it to their benefit if not my own, but i am also very nervous about the use of "thermy" as he can be quite intimidating.
I do hope someone can tell me i won't regret my decision!

Cheers!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: hi - needing some reassurance!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:01:25 pm »
Mum23,  I think we all had 2nd. thoughts.   However we all plunged in and I don't see any one regretting it.   I cant see your diet being an issue,  because if you look carefully at the post of the longer time members,  you will notice that most convert their fav. recipes.   

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:05:07 pm »
Mum23 you will love it  ;) not sure about the carb issue but with three children you will more than get your money worth  ;D
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:10:08 pm »
Hi mum23 - don't worry it's called "buyers remorse" ;D ;D ;D We've probably all had it - but it'll be quickly and magically erased when you get your machine and start using it and you will wonder how you ever managed without it  :)
Just with like any cooking - you can use/substitute low-fat ingredients, but I imagine you will find it easy to convert your own favorite low carb recipes once you get confidence with the machine too.  I think it's good to be nervous about the cost, it shows that you have put a lot of thought into your purchase and that when you get it you will be determined to use it well to justify the outlay.  Don't worry about the machine being intimidating, you will soon get used to it and the kids will too - my DD (9) and DS (6) get in there to help and have a go, no probs.
Enjoy your machine when you get it and let us know how you go  ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:12:37 pm by alioop »
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:13:59 pm »
Mum23 it is a very daunting thing to do in spending that sort of money. Before I bought mine I was quite sure we had a healthy diet without too many preservatives. Now I realise that we were getting them in so much food that I now make. I even make my own bread as it is so much fun, and we love it.  You may go through a time after you purchase your TMX thinking OMG what have I done, but keep using it and it will pass. One very sensible piece of advice I was given was to use it as much as possible in the first few weeks.  You feel you must because of the cost. It is truly worth it. I think everyone on the forum is still learning new things that they can do with the machine, even if they have had it for over 12 months.
Your children will probably love helping you make things, and if they are older you may well find them making things for themselves. You will never have to stir another sauce, custard or risotto. I can even make successful pastry now!
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 12:17:29 pm »
Hi mum23, no-one on this forum is going to tell you not to buy a TMX - we all love our machines too much :D :D  The things you can make for your children alone are worth having the machine for and as alioop said, you will soon work out how to convert your own special dietary needs.  You can always ask for advice here, put up your favourite recipe eg and someone will have a go at converting it for you I am sure. Once you have done one, you could probably work out the rest for yourself but remember we love questions on this forum. Go on, take the plunge and join the rest of us. Believe us all, you will not regret it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline mum23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:37:58 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the positive reassurance!!
I guess it's all normal what i am feeling and it's good to know others were the same.
Everyone seems very helpful on this forum and i guess that is reassurance on its own that we have a place to come if we have some troubles.
I am trying to learn as much as i can before my thermy arrives, but i think it maybe one of those "learn as you go" things!
I have been thinking about taking on the role as a consultant but have just realised i really think i should get to know "thermy" really well before introducing him to new people.
Anyway thanks heaps and look forward to meeting more of you!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:09:16 pm »
Am I too late to say - Go for it! You won't regret it! As for being a consultant - I did just that - got my Thermie and starting doing demo's. This forum was such a great help to start of with. When you first start, you're showing it to family and friends so they don't really care when you say - Wow! didn't realise it did that!! LOL  :D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 02:01:10 am »
DON'T DO IT  ;D ;D ;D ;D  Only joking - you won't regret it.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline mum23

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 03:55:22 am »
Well I took the plunge and did the payment today! So no turning back! I did have a good think about the consultant thing and have changed my mind for the moment. Maybe when i get really confident and have things sorted out enough at home, then i will have another think about it!
I am off to scour for info! thanks again to everyone!

Offline bartoncs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 04:21:31 am »
Hi Mum 23

I am a low carber and have had my thermie since december and it has made my low carb lifestyle HEAPS easier!

I would suggest you buy the gluten free, wheat free book as that has lots of low carb recipes and will help you learn how to convert your existing recipies.

the thing I love about thermie is that she (yes I refer to my machine as a person!) can mill just about anything into a flour, I use a lot of chickpea flour, but instead of spending a fortune in healthfood stores (7.00 per bag!) I just buy dry chickpeas from the supermarket and mill them myself!.

Thermie helped me lots with my healthy lifestyle as she enables me to make just about anything from scratch, rather than the chemical laden, prepacked crud from the supermarket. For example I make my own butter, flours (from beans etc), sauces, curry pastes, dips, icecream and sorbets (sugar free!), soups (as oppsed to canned!), coconut milk and cream and many more things I previously would have bought in a packet.

So buy the thermie, don't feel guilty as I believe they pay for themselves in the end. Just be prepared to experiment and have fun, and if you have any issues just ask the fantastic people on this forum!

Offline mum23

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 05:01:04 am »
THanks bartonics!
Man i am getting overwhelmed at some of the cooking people do! I am far from adventrous, I hope i still find Thermy helpful!
I have referred to my machine (when it comes) as a "he" and named him Thermy also!
I am glad to find others that do low carb also, so i will be able to share/swap info ect.
Can't wait to start expermenting, but i probably will have to wait about 2 weeks for him to arrive :-[

Offline bartoncs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 02:12:51 am »
Yes my Thermie took about 2 weeks, longest 2 weeks of my life!!!!

My poor consultant got sick of me calling her I am sure!

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 02:36:14 am »

I would suggest you buy the gluten free, wheat free book as that has lots of low carb recipes and will help you learn how to convert your existing recipies.

Thermie helped me lots with my healthy lifestyle as she enables me to make just about anything from scratch, rather than the chemical laden, prepacked crud from the supermarket. For example I make my own butter, flours (from beans etc), sauces, curry pastes, dips, icecream and sorbets (sugar free!), soups (as oppsed to canned!), coconut milk and cream and many more things I previously would have bought in a packet.

Hi Bartonics, did you find the wheatfree cookbook recipes are tasty? I find the EDC very disappointing...too high in sugar and fats and very ordinary...

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 02:44:24 am »
You'll find that you can reduce the sugar in most everything in the EDC by at least half if not more. I often make sorbets with no sugar, depending on the fruit. The amount of fat can often be fiddled with too. Faffa (and others I'm sure) uses apple puree to replace butter sometimes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/