Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6132156 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #3210 on: October 12, 2012, 04:37:12 am »
Karen, have a great time at the show and enjoy your meal! We're looking forward to hearing about it! :D :D

mcmich

« Reply #3211 on: October 12, 2012, 05:09:13 am »
Hope you are having a good time Karen.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: October 12, 2012, 05:19:07 am »
Enjoy, Karen. :)
:D

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: October 12, 2012, 06:04:19 am »
Just got back from the Food and Wine Show - fantastic lunch, gorgeous food, and George was just lovely.  I have photos on the iphone which I will post later on.  We had a look round the show too - lots of really lovely stalls there, but we didnt want to ruin lunch by tasting too much beforehand, and after lunch we were too full to sample very much :P

There are lots and lots of free tastings of things there, and most stalls offer "show bags" to purchase, which have a variety of products in them.  I am not sure how good value they are though, because most of them had things in them that I would not usually buy or use, and I dont know that they were very much cheaper than retail.  There were very few free give-aways, but lots and lots of free tastings.  There were several "masterclasses" on offer, which you had to buy tickets for separately, but also the different celebrity chefs put on free shows in the theatre, which looked really interesting and entertaining.

HO had a TMX stall there.  Making pumpkin soup and sorbet when we walked past.  A few cookbooks, but nothing really to interest anyone who already has a TMX I must say.

IMHO, if anyone were thinking of coming to Adelaide for something food-related, you would be better off coming for Tasting Australia, rather than the food and wine show.  But others may disagree with me ......
Karen in Adelaide

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: October 12, 2012, 06:11:47 am »
sound like a good lunch..  :) good food, George, good company, what more could you want.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: October 12, 2012, 06:13:27 am »
Glad you had a good lunch Karen looking forward to the pics  :)

mcmich

« Reply #3216 on: October 12, 2012, 06:13:36 am »
Good that you had a nice lunch with DH Karen. Photos would be wonderful.
I'm not familiar with Tasting Australia - Is it similar to the Food & Wine show?
Uni & I got heaps of free things at the Sydney show. I think Uni bought the honey show bag too. We had good time.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: October 12, 2012, 06:26:03 am »
I'm not familiar with Tasting Australia - Is it similar to the Food & Wine show?
Uni & I got heaps of free things at the Sydney show.

Tasting Australia is held every 2 years in Adelaide and in regional centres across SA (like Barossa, Clare, McLaren Vale) and is a week-long celebreation / showcase of food and wine.  There are heaps of events, celebrity chefs, workshops and masterclasses associated with it.  This year is was in late April/early May I think.  The next one will be in 2014.

http://www.tasting-australia.com.au/

I didnt see any free give-aways at the Adelaide show - great that you and Uni got heaps of free stuff though!

Karen in Adelaide

• View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: October 12, 2012, 07:05:22 am »
Its very warm here today so I'm glad I went for a run early, I probably covered about 16km which was good :)
I had a bit of a shock about 10 minutes ago. I was sitting here at the dining room table, browsing the forum, and I saw a shadow just out on the front porch. I waited for a knock on the door, but nothing happened, so I went to investigate the shadow. It turned out to be a young kangaroo with big strings of drool hanging from its mouth. The poor thing looked like it was going to fall over. It was resting in the shade of our porch, but I spooked it and it went next door, which is worrying because there is a house being built there and lots of building scrap is lying around. I called the ranger but apparently nobody can come to help the roo because they are all fighting a big bushfire out of town. I left a bucket of water outside for the roo but I'm worried because my house is right next to a main road and I don't want it to get injured :( :( :( :( :(

*suzanne*

« Reply #3219 on: October 12, 2012, 07:06:53 am »
Glad it was just a kangaroo Amy and hopefully he comes back to your house and gets himself a drink and keeps safe  :)

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #3220 on: October 12, 2012, 07:35:56 am »
It must be nice to see them living wild. A circus, which is here for the next 4 days, has some small (I guess) wallabys and at least one ostrich. We saw them in the outside pen on route to footie training the other day. I wouldn't have thought our cooler clime was nice for them.
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: October 12, 2012, 07:39:37 am »
Hope the kangaroo is Ok Amy.  :)
:D

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: October 12, 2012, 09:02:31 am »
Entree was vegetables a la greque, with WA marron, taramosalata and fennel pollen.

Main was pikilia of veal with snow pea shoot salad and feta.

Dessert was a most impressive display.  On the menu it was described as:  "Aphrodite - everywhere she walked roses would grow."  The dessert was a display in the centre of the table, under a big topiary tree of roses, in a chocolate biscuit "dirt".  He had made little mushrooms out of marshmallow, meringue and popping candy, white choc and marshmallow snails, raspberry and white choc "boulders", choc mousse, chocolate logs and chocolate dust.  He then "watered" the garden display with rose-scented dry ice mist, then served up individual serves.

An we couldnt resist a photo opportunity with the celebrity himself  ;)

A wonderful experience and a wonderful afternoon.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:07:48 am by KarenH »
Karen in Adelaide

• View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: October 12, 2012, 09:03:58 am »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

We really need a jealous smiley face!!!! ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:02:12 pm by Amy :-) »

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: October 12, 2012, 09:07:08 am »
food looks good Karen..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url