Author Topic: Easy Apricot Slice  (Read 21135 times)

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
Easy Apricot Slice
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:59:01 am »
Name of Recipe: Easy Apricot Slice

Number of People:  8 serves

Ingredients:

250g dried apricots
500g water
100g sugar (or to taste)...less is better.

125g butter
125g sugar
2 eggs
100g plain flour
100g SR flour
Coconut (optional)

Place apricots in TM bowl with 500g water and 1/2 cup of sugar and cook on varoma temp for 20 + mins or until apricots stewed.  Add  more water if texture to thick.   (You can soak in hot water, until soft, prior to cooking to lesson cooking time)

Cream butter, sugar and eggs 10 seconds on speed 8.  Add flours and mix for 30 seconds on speed 7.

Spread half mixture into a small lined or non-stick lamington tin and then spread the apricot mixture over the top.  Spread the remainder of the flour mixture over the apricot mix.  May need to use a wet spoon to help spread the mixture over the apricots.   Looks a bit messy at this stage but when cooked, looks totally different.

Sprinkle with coconut (options) and bake for 15-20 mins in a pre-heated 180oC oven or until golden brown.

***I found this recipe the other day in an old note book that I had hand written about 20 years ago!!!   I've only cooked it this once and attempted to adapt to thermomix, and it turned out pretty good ;D

I need to experiment with the cooking of the apricots to get the water apricot ratio perfect.   But pretty easy to just add or pour off excess water and if not cooked enough then just keep cooking until at the consistency you like.

When I make again I will adjust recipe if need to but otherwise enjoy with a big blob of ice cream or whipped cream :P

members' comments

JD - Made your apricot slice today Karonjulie, your first version which I tweaked a little then when I came on to tell you what I did tonight, you had already tweaked it yourself to pretty well what I did although I only added 3 teaspoons sugar, not 1/2 cup to the apricot mixture. I blitzed the apricots after the 15 minutes cooking - 4 seconds on speed 6 and I scraped down the bowl halfway through the creaming stage.

I used a tin 17cm x 27cm and the slice (when cooked) is only 2cm thick - well, mine was anyway! It wasn't all that firm when I took it out of the oven but when I reheated the leftovers the slice became much firmer so if you want it for the childrens' lunch boxes, I'd cook it 25 minutes at least.

It was really nice and I reheated a slice in the weber after I'd taken the roast out and I think it was even better reheated.  I have frozen 6 pieces for lunch visitors in a couple of weeks time.

cookie1 - I loved the texture of the apricots as they were, I did blitz them after 15 minutes.
BUT, I don't know what I did but I needed to add more flour. I felt the mix was too runny to support the apricot mixture. Should it be this runny and does it hold the apricots up or do they sink to the bottom please?
We really enjoyed it though. If it should be really thin will give it another try as is.
Thanks-lovely taste.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:53:13 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Easy Apricot Slice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:32:40 am »
Nice work    ;D ;D ;D

Brings back memories  - I remember making this years ago.  :-X :-X
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:25:42 am »
Made your apricot slice today Karonjulie, your first version which I tweaked a little then when I came on to tell you what I did tonight, you had already tweaked it yourself to pretty well what I did although I only added 3 teaspoons sugar, not 1/2 cup. It was really nice and I reheated a slice in the weber after I'd taken the roast out and I think it was even better reheated.  I have frozen 6 pieces for lunch visitors in a couple of weeks time.  Good on you for your posting.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:30:13 pm »
Karonjulie, I forgot to say I blitzed the apricots after the 15 minutes cooking - 4 seconds on speed 6 and I scraped down the bowl halfway through the creaming stage.

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:31:21 am »
 I made a different version the other day and used tinned apple pie and another one using tinned mango.   Now that was easy!!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 12:37:50 am »
Go to the top of the class for this one - it certainly is a winner in this household.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 09:29:07 pm »
Would like to give this a go, however what temperature is it to be baked at, and what sort of consistency should the apricots have before pouring away excess water. And also half cup of sugar, in Spain we have many cup sizes!  ;) Aprox how many grams is half a cup 50g?
Thanks
Bron
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 11:28:17 pm »
I baked mine in a 180o C oven and 1/2 cup sugar weighs around 120 grams. Thats a lot of sugar, I only used a few heaped teaspoons but I guess it depends how sweet you like things. If you decrease the liquid at the beginning by 50g, I find you don't need to pour off any excess liquid - just blitz the mixture and it is perfect.  Sort of the texture of jam but not gooey like jam if you know what I mean.  Hope Karonjulie doesn't mind me answering this query for you.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:13:45 pm »
Thanks Judy! Will give this a go at the weekend. It sounds like a great snack for the kids to take to school mid morniing break.
Aprox size tin to bake it in?  ???
Amanda

Spain

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 01:21:17 am »
I made this while we were 'off line' and loved the texture of the apricots as they were, I did blitz them after 15 minutes.
BUT, I don't know what I did but I needed to add more flour. I felt the mix was too runny to support the apricot mixture. Should it be this runny and does it hold the apricots up or do they sink to the bottom please?
We really enjoyed it though. If it should be really thin will give it another try as is.
Thanks-lovely taste.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 07:40:09 am »
Amanda, I used a tin 17cm x 27cm and the slice (when cooked) is only 2cm thick - well, mine was anyway! It wasn't all that firm when I took it out of the oven but when I reheated the leftovers the slice became much firmer so if you want it for the childrens' lunch boxes, I'd cook it 25 minutes at least.

Cookie1 - I just checked the slices I had in the freezer and no, the apricots didn't sink to the bottom - there is cake below and above the apricots in my slice so I don't know what caused your problem.  I followed the recipe to the quantities given. Karonjulie might have an answer to your question. Good luck with the next batch, it is certainly tasty with lashings of cream.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 12:44:54 pm »
Thanks Judy, will give it a go at the weekend!
Amanda

Spain

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 01:44:33 am »
Thanks Judydawn. I may well have done something stupid. :P The taste was really lovely. Will give it another go over the weekend and only use the 125g of SR flour.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 11:46:23 am »
I'm an idiot!!!!!  I just re-read the comments and read the ingredients and its shoudl be 125g of SR flour and 125g of Plain......sorry ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 12:03:51 pm »
Funny how mine turned out OK with the wrong quantities!  Does this mean it will go wrong with the correct quantities - I hope not.  Anyway my weekend visitors are getting a slice of the incorrect recipe which I have kept in the freezer especially for them.