Author Topic: Forum Fest 2015 Melbourne  (Read 194796 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Fest 2015 Melbourne
« Reply #495 on: September 25, 2015, 04:51:59 am »
It's pretty easy to find your way around Judy. The free tram goes up to the Vic Market now and Books for Cooks is also up there now.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 25, 2015, 10:24:58 am »
For those of you who are not familiar with Melbourne's trams, I thought I might bore you with how Melbournians think they work - I am not sure any of us really know - they are certainly a mystery to me , but here's a bit of a run down anyway.

Trams are free within the CBD area only, there will be maps at the hotel that will show you the area that is free to travel in - and, yes, Vic Market is within the free zone.

There is also a free "City Circle" tram that takes you around the edge of the CBD and out to Docklands.  It has a commentary telling you where you are and what you can see, places of interest, etc.  I believe it can be pretty hectic during rush hour and lunch time, but other than that it should be pretty comfortable.

Once you venture out of the CBD area you will have to purchase a MYKI card (I think they cost $6.00).  They are not available on the tram, but there are various outlets scattered around town that sell them.  You will also have to purchase some credit for it. The minimum may be $10.00, but I am not sure of that.  I think Alyce's cooking course is being held near South Melbourne market and this is outside the free CBD tram zone, so a MYKI is mandatory.  I think the Tramcar Restaurant departure point is also outside the free tram zone, so, one again, you will need a MYKI.  To use it you simply hold it next to the lower half of the ticket machine as you board the tram.  The machines are situated just inside the tram doors.  You do not need to touch the cards to the ticket machines when you get off the tram, only when you are boarding.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 25, 2015, 10:59:25 am »
Thanks Marina. I have one of those cards from a previous visit.  I don't think I used it much, maybe only the time I visited you at the shop then went in to town so how can I find out how much is left on it please? At the point of sale perhaps?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 25, 2015, 09:35:39 pm »
There are three ways of checking the value left on the card.  Firstly when you touch on when boarding - if you are really quick the value left will show on the screen of the touch on pad.  Secondly, at some of the bigger tram stops scattered around the CBD (also at train stations I should imagine) there are machines where you can top up the value.  You can put your MYKI on the card holder and it will give you the value.  The final way is to go to one of the outlets that sell and top up MYKI cards and they can tell you what value is left on the card.  The only other way is to ask one of the ticket inspectors to check it for you - but they move randomly around town so you may never see one ... then again, you will probably meet up with one on the tram the one time you forget your card, then you are in trouble!

I have also been told, and I do not know if this is true or not but I am noting it here just in case it is, if you have a MYKI and do not use it for a certain period of time (that period being a number of years, possibly 3, but I am not sure of this) apparently any existing, unused credit on the card is 'gratefully accepted' by the government and your card is left with no credit.  As I say, I don't know how true that is, but just in case anyone is coming down with an older MYKI and doesn't realise it, it would be best to check the credit on your card before you start using it.

As I said in my last post, most of us hate the MYKI and don't know exactly how it works, but we have no choice.  The system was rejected by at least one other major city (Manchester, UK) before our wonderful city decided it would be perfect for us  :-))!

... and finally - if you board the tram in the free CBD zone then travel out of it you must touch on your MYKI either when you leave the free zone or anytime before you leave the free zone.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:22:40 pm by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 25, 2015, 11:59:07 pm »
I'll definitely be checking mine then, thanks Marina.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 26, 2015, 01:52:24 am »
Thanks Marina.
I am wondering if I have missed any activities.  I am doing the cooking class but not the tram car meal.
I also was wondering if  anyone has organised a large table for breakfast, I know we ( maybe me!) caused inconvenience in Tasmania.  I'm happy to make a phone call if required.  It was a nice way to start the day.
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 26, 2015, 02:31:27 am »
Great idea Denise.  The hotel would know which of us have booked for breakfast.

I've removed Katie & Richard and Jamberie and her family from the original list of bookings on page 1 of this thread, not sure if anyone else who had booked has cancelled.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 26, 2015, 10:15:52 am »
Thanks Bedlam. It isn't as lovely as in Hobart, but breakfast isn't bad.

There is a Myki thing just outside the Swanston. You can read what is on your card or top it up. We were surprised when we found out people didn't like the Myki. We've had similar over here for ages and I guess we have got used to it.
Just to be on the safe side I tagged on every time we went out of the free zone.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 26, 2015, 12:04:14 pm »
I have just bought my Myki card, I better start to get organised.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 30, 2015, 08:17:19 am »
Great idea Denise.  The hotel would know which of us have booked for breakfast.

I've removed Katie & Richard and Jamberie and her family from the original list of bookings on page 1 of this thread, not sure if anyone else who had booked has cancelled.

Could you remove Narelle from that list too please Judy. Sadly she can't make Melbourne either. Thanks xx
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 30, 2015, 08:48:46 am »
Done, thanks Gayle.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 30, 2015, 12:28:07 pm »
That's no good. I was looking forward to meeting her. Maybe another time.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 30, 2015, 02:51:44 pm »
Re the cookbooks, I've got your messages and apologise for not getting back to you individually but my business is taking up so much of my Thermie time. Katie I will print you off a copy and I'm assuming JD will take it back for you. Cash will be the way to go as I give them to people so I don't have to reconcile my bank account. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone...it won't be long now...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 01, 2015, 03:48:57 am »
I feel the excitement, or maybe that's Grand Final fever. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 01, 2015, 05:49:55 am »
Thanks CP!
Yes Judy will act as courier and bring my copy back to Adelaide for me.  I will fix her up with the money for you prior to that weekend.

Happy I'm still able to get the book, it will make me feel a little less sad about not being able to make it to Melbourne to catch up with everyone.  Thanks again  :D
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child